BLF customized Tank007 Lights: Which would you be interested in?

if my response came off as sharp, i apologize. you seem angry that some folks would like their lights to come on at a very low setting, i was merely trying to point out that i have found it useful to have such a light.

now you seem angry that i use my light incorrectly and i must be an idiot of some kind to use my lights the way i do, this seems uncalled for, but, whatever.

burgularizing homes is a time honored profession going back thousands of years, to do it correctly one needs to keep up with the technology

Questions on the E07. I seem to recall the standard Osram E07 is only set-up for AA only. So this custom driver that would be used would definitely take a 14500? Is the Osram a goldren dragon plus or just a golden dragon?

I thought that when the Yezl XM-L zoomer came out everyone decided it was a mistake to try and use an XM-L in a zoomer. Light lost in throw mode and die image way too large. No one really cared for it as I recall. The 737 appears to use the same lens size and now lots of members are jumping for it.

Over the weekend I popped a 28mm aspheric lens into my L2m clone to see what an XM-L looks like in a zoomer. The focal length is perfect on that torch and the die was focused and sharp but it was the ugliest thing I'd ever seen. Black circle surrounding the focused spot and tons of light surrounding that in a horrible pattern. What's worse is that the die image with the aspheric lens was not as bright as the hotspot is normally with a regular lens. Granted with the fixed focal length I did not get to see what the asperic looked like in a flood mode and I imagine it would look pretty good as all my other zoomers do in flood mode. If I wanted a floody XM-L I think I'd just build myself a mule light with one. I just don't see the advantage of a zoomer with the XM-L except in flood mode, especially with an even smaller lens than 28mm. Perhaps when they come out with a C8 sized light with a flood-to-throw an XM-L might work.

I'm just really surprised at how many people want the 737 torch. Can anyone take a minute or two to explain why?

Johnny (genuinely curious) Mac

I like my yetzl xml zoom. I also like my c8. They are different and I use them for different purposes. If I need throw I'll go for the c8. For shorter distances and inside I'll use the yetzl on flood. I was up in a ceiling on the weekend and it was great. I like the look of the 737 as well. I would like to see a c8 sized zoomable light.

I haven't played with an E07 yet, but my vote would be for a neutral tint E07 with an uber low, reasonable hi, and something non-flashy in between.

Can't make up my mind if I would want memory or not, might be nice though since it wouldn't have flashy stuff to cycle through.

TK-737 should have better heatsinking than push/pull zoomies due to different construction, so it might run XM-L to its (reasonably) full power. Ordinary 737 is also suposed to be one of the best zoomies.

I would like to have good C8 sized zoomie too, but I'm afraid it's hard to get it right now and it might be out of BLF budget - see:

http://www.edi-t.com.au/New%20P15.html

and prices at

http://www.accurateshooters.com.au/Tactical-Torches.html

Can someone from AU do something about gettting one for review? I volunter to do it ;-)

2000 lumens from single T6 XML... Tongue out

Come on now.

Ok, I'm in for TK-567 for $24.

- I think "BLF Edition" should be engraved on the light

- Prefer clip over 2xAA ext. tube (which I will not use)

- Whitest beam tint possible (don't mind R4 or R5, and if R2 is a standard option, why not R4/R5 upgrade?)

- LOW-MED-HI or MED-LOW-HI for non-memory light. Don't mind mode arrangment if memory option is present.

We should keep in mind, that with 14500, all modes will be much brighter . So, perhaps a 4th mode, super LOW, could be a solution.

"R2" sounds an awful lot like it is an XP-E and not a XP-G. And if it is a R2 XP-E, it won't be anywhere close to neutral.

I worry about PWM on an ultra low and whether they can achieve that. The PWM wasn't that great on the BLF Mr.Lite and the two lows were supposed to be moonlight and low and just wound up being low and low. So while a moonlight sounds good, they may not be able to achieve it. Also, if the light supports AA and 14500, sometimes the modes are vastly different with the two power sources. Just caveats. Hopefully Tank won't promise anything they can't deliver and we will have to work with what is possible for them.

For order of modes, if there is no memory, then start with lowest even though I'll usually use High (no point in having Low if you have to blind yourself with High first). Then maybe the highest and then medium. But LMH is fine too and makes more sense. With memory LMH would be fine.

No, we were just talking about reasonable applications for low low, especially since some people wanted it be the first mode. The first mode should be one that actually gets used most often, and I don't think low low because most of us aren't optometrists or burglars. :)

Just cover the front when starting, but I agree memory is better.

A decent 18650 XM-L that is focusable? Count me in for a 737, a no brainer if it really works (unlike that one XM-L focusable that Foy reviewed)

I honestly don't know if the lense will be appropriate for the XM-L emitter. I just picked this as a customization candidate because I am really impressed by my TK-737, and the price is right. I wonder if we could get a prototype as brted mentioned.

I already own too many 14500 lights so most end up collecting dust on a shelf somewhere and I always end up taking the same five or six lights anyway so the 567 is out, as far as I'm concerned (I do, however, like extension tubes for the extra flexibility they afford, particularly when using NiMH, for just a couple bucks more.)

The E07 is nice but I already own one. Now the TK-737 sounds interesting. I'm not particularly picky about modes and I don't mind having a strobe mode. As long as it takes 18650s and has no SOS mode, I'm in.

I might be in for a couple of the E07 will have to clear it with SWMBO.

Oh...If it's at all possible can you try to convince them not to glue any parts of the light :)

It will be nice if they can throw in some MF holster or clip. I don't mind doing ad for them. All 3 look good. They are good for gifts too. Raiding my kids' college fund again.

Piers, you're a bonified genius! I wish I would have thought to say that...

Now, about all the choices,

There's no way to please everyone...

Since we have multiple lights with multiple options, I think we should narrow the choices down. Basically come up with an ideal build for each light, then put the three lights into a poll. Frankly I have no interest in an xm-l zoomie...the one I built I drove at 2.8a, and while neat, just didn't hold my attention (I greatly prefer the R2 over xm-l for zoomies, for both throw AND flood). Then again, I may be in the minority here...

An R2 in a zoomie is pretty useful. I only have experience with one XML zoomie, the yezl, and it was lame.
I, and others above, have mentioned that a clip would would increase the usability of either of the other two lights. Either of these lights could be EDC but that functionality is really limited by the lack of a clip. Just wanted to mention it again. A snap on clip would be fine by me.

I tried an xml from the TF F15 on an? sk68 and had to add an oring to get the die focused properly which really was'nt that far off from stock. i would think tanks builders/engineers? would take die focus into consideration. a prototype would be good if they can provide one for us.

I'm not all hot for zoomies either but I am curious at $24.

Foy