BLF D80 Special Edition Flashlight? Did I miss a thread somewhere?

After applying for the trademark, he then needs to hire lawyers to go to China, or hire Chinese lawyers, to defend his claims in court. You can trademark all you like, its only worth the lawyers you can pay to defend it, and the laws of the land you wish to prosecute it in. This …ummm… well think about how much hassle and outlay is involved for SB to start to pursue it? Let alone making it work in Chinese law if you did pursue it. At best, he could hope that shipments into more trademark friendly countries would be seized, but you would need to know which shipments in order to request the seizure, and win a case to rely on for breaches of trademark.

Apart from being cheaper, what makes it ‘special’ compared to a regular D80 ?

When it comes to custom work, it's ok to copy others work, just make sure you copy the best! -Corky Bell

Sorry for the confusion guys, it was such a deal on a killer light, but they only had 2000 in stock. So, I started a group buy, but I got a bit carried away and ordered them all for me!! I figured it would feed my budget light addiction for a few years. If anyone would like I may be able to spare one or two.

:Sp

Time Stamp: 4-1-15

The BLF name was around a long time before this forum, in Australia everyone over 30~40yo remembers the ‘*B*uilders *L*abourers *F*ederation’ :Sp
Just do a google on “blf” there are more :wink:

Cheers David

Did they trademark BLF?
Not that it matters anyways, no one in china gives a continental about trademarks

I remember ‘Normie’ … however in relation to lights, Im not sure BLF has existed in relation to torches or forms of light, and it could still be trademarked. But as said, it helps little when those you wish to protect against live in China.

As far as I am aware it doesn’t matter if the product/business is different, the new kid on the block would have to prove they were not capitalising or benefitting in any way by using the same or even similar trademark.
But in the long run it matters not as there are a few registered ’BLF’s anyway.
http://trademarks.justia.com/search?q=blf&category=49
So the oldest one would have to take all the rest to court if they wanted to stop the new kid, a lawyers idea of heaven :wink:

Cheers David

If someone here [SB] is going to trademark / copyright a logo I think it should be a more “artsy” (or graphical) looking logo than a couple lines of text. Make it something worth fighting over.
A custom graphic will also be harder to reproduce perfectly than literally 2 lines (17 characters) of whatever standard font used now so it could be easier for us to spot fakes right off the bat.

Just my 2¢

let’s go high tech. hidden branding using UV paint, and etched micro printing on the bezel.

If the idea is to go big then the logo must be done in Trits!

Trits or GTFO

:smiley:

You answered your own statement, there are several registered BLFs anyway, there would not be so many if it was not allowed under trademark laws. Its complicated, but in general differences changes a lot. To infringe there must be a likelihood of confusion, or if there is harm to the trademark holders reputation. A quick google gave me these examples. Dominos Pizza can not stop Dominos Sugar, Dove chocolate and Dove soap, Finlandia Vodka and Finlandia cheese as there is no reasonable risk of confusion on branding. Coca Cola makes a lot of stuff, merchandise not simply lolly water, so a bicycle or a flashlight or even a shed branded as Coke would probably be a violation as the public could easily assume they are from (or made for) Coca Cola.

A recent success in Australia was Crazy Rons v Crazy Johns. Ron lost. (both mobile telcos, both now gone) However both were trading for years.

Heck, how hard is it to program a laser label-cutter, anyhow?
I’m surprised we’re not seeing lights with serial numbers, or even owner-customized engraving, as an available option.

Sunwayman used to have serial numbers. XTAR still do at least on chargers, that can be used to verify its legitimacy online, it will tell you if that number has been looked up on the site yet.

And bearings on the tactical grip so I can spin it up like a disco show.

Or maybe the BLF logo, so when the light is on it shines BLF up into the air like a Batman beacon! :slight_smile:

That is what I thought but I bought one anyway. Surprisingly it is very comfortable in the hand.

Count me in on this one

and you saw this, right?
http://www.everbuying.com/product772325.html

I was just gonna say how amazing it is to be able to buy something that hasn’t even been designed yet.
Truly this Everbuying company is working far out in front of the cutting edge of technology.