BLF Kronos X6/X5 GB - Group Buy now closed.

Sounds like a reason to use a 26650 host for a triple instead of the 18650 X6 host. But most here seem to prefer the X6 host for a triple. Go figure.

But this should only be true in turbo (FET direct drive) mode, in a comparable regulated mode (e.g. booth 800 lumen) the triple should be more efficient, or am I wrong?

The latest samples should reach Dale and TK today!

kronos
(Updated in OP)

Yes, for comparable light output, the triple should be more efficient, because three emitters are sharing the load, so their Vf will be lower and overall efficiency higher than a single emitter.

Example with XP-L HI V3 emitters aiming for ~900lm

Triple will cost you 1.89A with a Vf of 2.96V for a total of 5.589W and will give you ~905lm output
Single will cost you 2.3A with a Vf of 3.33V for a total of 7.661W and will give you ~903lm output

I just got a DHL Notification bumping the delivery of the samples to Tues.

CNCYNA, the problem with the 26650 hosts is that the head diameter is also larger to stay in proportion to the tube, we have to use Optics that are readily available or go the long way around like MRsDNF and concoct a complicated triple reflector set-up to accommodate. I have a larger triple optic incoming to test it out, so that might be an option of the larger lights fit this optic (50mm) Then the next issue is finding a DTP triple mcpcb that fits the 50mm Optic, see? It gets complicated.

Looking into it though. :wink:

PS: Also, for the record, there aren’t any 26650’s that can perform at the level of the top 18650’s, so there would also be some performance loss.

The SupFire L5 (though an e-switch light) and the cheapo F13 clones have a head diameter very close to an X6 - eyeball comparison only. Was wondering if the triple optics I used for the X6 would fit in one of those 26650 lights... Of course for me, I'm kind of restricted to what heat sinks are made/available - not good at building my own. Also the X6's quality is far better, but the old TrustFire BLF 26650 tube light is a pretty narrow head as well, decent quality, but I don't like it's deep set glass from the bezel - the X6's design is far better for the glass being further out to the bezel.

Also I recently did a battery shoot-out using a FET modded SupFire L5 and the 26700 cell beat a 30Q (post #20 here: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/72713). Now I don't know if this is in all scenarios of use of course or certainly there are cell variations (also age, usage, etc.). Only 1 cell was tested in only one modded light, but interesting none the less.

Tom, which 26700 cell was that? Of course, the extra length will eliminate that one from the vast majority of 26650 sized lights. Still, I’d like to know ( :bigsmile: )

Well actually, most of the single cell 26650 lights I have do fit that cell - I've used them in F13 clones, HD2010's, and Y3's for example. Couple of other lights as well. I believe it's a tight fit on some lights, and think some reported problems with the HD2010 for example. It's the KK 26700 that Richard sells, out of stock though. I've been using them since first hearing bout them from the MaxToch M12 - MaxToch was bundling the M12 with the KK 26700 cell, but put their branding on it. The KK 4000's or 4200's do well also, maybe not as good as the 26700.

Would be interesting what amps can be gotten from it in a triple hot FET setup...

I'm not saying it would be make a better light than a X6 multi-LED - the X6 has a superior design than most lights in this price range.

Gotcha, thanks.

I have a few Efest Purple 26650’s, a couple of King Kong 4000’s and a pair of EVVA 26650’s somewhere, the Moli’s I got at 26700 from Wayne sucked. Well, ok, they didn’t totally suck they just weren’t the performer I was looking for. Of course, the Powerizer LnMnNiCo(?) 26650’s were stellar, but got discontinued. So I’m looking for the next big breakthrough in this class.

I’m off to see the Wizard, the wonderful wizard of MTN……

Don't take my tests for gospel though - I should really do more varieties of tests, or someone else should. The EFEST 26650 I tested in the L5 light were weaker than the old EFEST's - dunno why, dunno if anyone else had the same experiences, but I thought both you and I thought the EFEST 26650 3500 mAh cells were really excellent performers, and they were - for me, as good as the Powerizers. I had 2 from an early buy at MtnE, then bought 2 more from MtnE. Those last 2 I bought definitely did not perform as well as the first two. So, the 26700 out performs those newer EFEST 26650's, but I think the older EFEST's out perform the 26700, from tests I did in the past from what I can recall.

Agree - those Moli's were a big disapointment in performance. Good thing I only bought one. Bad thing was I only got 2 Powerizers before being dropped.

Little off topic here, sorry folks.

Alright, I cant stop looking at this.

Please put me down for:
Aluminum (Al).
Tint NW
Quantity ONE set.

Back on topic but confused all the same, I have 2 messages from DHL stating 2 different delivery times on 2 different waybills. Looks like they may have sent ToyKeepers samples to me by mistake. If that’s the case, I’ll get em to her ASAP for proper calibration testing.

The one still says delivery today, with another delivery indicated tomorrow. I’ll have Steve check with Neal and see if the second one can be diverted and get there faster. :wink:

Maybe. Probably not.

I got a notification that it’s bumped to tomorrow.

Thank you for your insight into the problem of modding and getting parts for a 26650 host. As far as greater performance from an 18650 over a 26650, I guess that’s due to more R & D work on laptop-compatible 18650 batteries.

4-Sevens has a 26650 3-emitter light but the tailcap is momentary-on or twist-on only and not a clicky, so that wouldn’t work as a host for most of us. As far as I know, there is no mod to turn that tailcap into a clicky - not enough space.

FWIW, I found I DO have one of the King Kong 26700 5000mAh cells and it DOES compare favorably to the top 18650’s. In my tests today, it ran the same light about the same as an Efest Purple 35A. With twice the capacity. So it’s a very viable option. Unfortunately, an out of stock one at the moment.

Perhaps we can get the Master of Ceremonies to create a Papa X7 and use this 26700 cell? :bigsmile: Oh Kronological……….

Ooooh I have two of those KK26700’s. I didn’t know they were that good.

The 26650/26670 cells should also sustain output for much longer and not drop in amp as quickly, so even if they lag behind a bit at start the high drain ones should get ahead like the 30Q & HG2’s are to the high drain 2500/2600mha 18650 cells because of the extra capacity.

Now if only Samsung, LG or Sanyo would produce a 26650 cell with the 30Q, HG2 chemistry or maybe the GA’s for max capacity then we could have the best of both worlds :slight_smile: but they probably won’t :(, the best we can hope for is that some Chinese 26650 cell manufacturer tries to copy one of those cells and hopefully gets close.

This site is addicting :slight_smile: Please add me to the list for……

1) Aluminum (Al)
2) NW
3) 1 set

Thanks for your time

Sure, I’m game!

But when its all said and done, you might have to call the guys in the white lab coats, white wagon and butterfly nets…

What’dya mean? I AM the guys in white lab coats, white wagon and butterfly nets!