BLF Kronos X6/X5 GB - Group Buy now closed.

Miller, are you talking about the normal Al set (cardboard package) you can buy off banggood? I’m on the fence for getting a set, willing to wait if there are any SS/Cu sets coming back in stock or at least the Aluminum set with the wood box.

Yes the ALU set
In the cardboard box
I have just cooked the X5
Took very long, but it worked, now it is cooling

Greetings all,

My two Cu X5 s were shipped with clips on, whereas the SS X6 s had the clips in the boxes.
Was there a reason for this?

Also, is there an easy way to remove the clip on the X5 without scratching the light or breaking the clip?
(This may have been asked before in this thread but I missed it.)

Some people slip plastic drinking straws over the arms before sliding the clip off, and it seems to do the trick.

Looks like the Astrolux version of the Kronos X5 has already seen a price drop. Astrolux

I use the thumbnails and on both sides of the clip.
No scratches

Baked the X5
Did not get the real copper color I did not dare leaving the pieces on the flames longer.
It was hard, took much longer to change color then cheaper lights
I like the result.
And in the process did my first soldering to re-attach the wires to the star so it is kind of a proud moment (no matter how easy it might be for experienced modders, the tight space in de X5 head and the stake of this jewel possibly damaged and it being the first time attaching something via soldering made it a rewarding experience) It is working fine now.

A few more pics in the mod thread.

That looks great Miller!

Congrats on your first soldering, it’s addictive once you know you can do it you’ll be thinking of reasons to all the time.

No problem. You are among the many that have and will overlook the incredible versatility of the Bistro UI. I do not mean that in any finger pointy way at all. Just a week ago a was wondering if something was wrong with one of my lights from this group buy. It was only after downloading the UI instructions ToyKeeper wrote for Bistro and watching the video Dale made to help clarify that I really started understanding how it works. The default setting it comes in are so well thought out that many people may never bother to change it. Once you poke around a bit though it’s addictive. There is a ridiculous amount of customization available simply by tapping the switch a few different ways. I have a protected Sanyo UR14500P that I got from Mountain Electronics a while back in the charger now. As soon as it’s ready I’ll pop it in my copper X5, set it to muggle mode and let you know how it goes. I know it won’t get into the high levels without tripping the protection circuit but in muggle it just may work fine.

Was this satire? It sounded a bit like a review for a product which cures cancer and brings world peace.

Awesome. I’m glad to hear you did your first successful torch surgery. I haven’t tried cooking a light yet, and didn’t realize you could change the color quite as much as your picture shows. The biggest change I recall seeing was a reddish, orange-ish color. Anyway, I hope you’ll enjoy future mods. :slight_smile:

JDub, I have spent some time playing with the Bistro, currently my x5 is in 4 mode, memory on, it’s fun to see all the possibilities.
I look forward to your mobile mode results.

These are Type III Hard Anodize. It won’t turn the bronze/copper color like Type II will. That military drab green is about the best you can expect.

Nice job on it, looks pretty sweet! (Of course, you just ruined one of the best anodize finishes in the industry)

I can’t really tell the difference between type II and type III anodizing, unless I rub the light on concrete or something. And I have my doubts about how useful that test is. :slight_smile:

So far, I think only a few of my lights are genuinely type III:

• original ZL SC52 (but maybe not my newer H52Fw)
  • XinTD C8 V4
  • original Blackshadow Terminator

Pretty much everything else I’ve ever used either hasn’t experienced enough abrasion to tell, or seems a little softer / thinner / otherwise easier to damage. I usually try not to find out how tough the anodizing is, and only “test” them by accident or by excessive long-term use.

TK, did you see my video tossing the X6 out the window of the car at 60mph? It visibly and audibly skidded on the asphalt, in itself that did no damage. The only damage to the light was when it caught and flipped, landing on a corner and gouging yellow striping paint off the road. Even at that, damage was minimal and I still use that light to this day.

I want to see one of the copper or stainless lights that has been stonewashed …

hey toy keeper, in the bistro UI menu, the 5th choice is mode group (1-8)
what does this do ?
thanks

Small update. After 5 weeks and a Paypal dispute and sending pix only 3x, Banggood is sending me a replacement tailcap! I’ll just wait for it to arrive before cancelling the dispute.

Good news at loooonnnnng last!!

I know! Now to go deal with my second defective A6 18350 tube and wrong Samsung 30Q batteries.

:slight_smile:

tarver, configuration level 5 sets how many modes you have. Since moon is set in level 3, this is for Low through Turbo, plus or minus moon, for a total of 9 possible levels. For example, if you select this level 5 and let it blink 4 times, you will have 4 levels. If you then select moon in level 3, you will have 5 total levels.

Dale, how could I forget the 60mph BLF X6 rocket? :slight_smile:

So yes, I should probably add the BLF EE X6 to my “type III” list. I just haven’t abused mine enough to be able to tell.

Still, that original SC52 still looks nearly mint and has been through an awful lot. I’ve never seen any other finish hold up so well.