BLF Kronos X6/X5 GB - Group Buy now closed.

Exactly cajampa. A Omten switch would be nice!

It’s hard to answer questions about the first X6v2 / K6 samples, because they’re not production samples. They’re more like rough “hey is this sort of what you had in mind?” prototype samples. And for that, they’re not bad. But we won’t know a lot of details until closer to production. Many little things are still being worked out.

Resistance is futile:)
I’m in for 1 set of SS/Cu (WW)

I'm not in the design team so at the risk of asking things that you may be well aware of:

the K6 is a new design with new measures. Related to a question I asked somewhere above, being a bit worried about the chosen reflector for the sample: are the measures designed around an existing quality reflector or will a reflector be sourced to fit what size head the team has chosen? The K6 being a (very rare and my favorite form factor!) throwy 14500 light it would be most awesome if it had the widest reflector that fits the head well. And IMO it will be a big plus if the reflector is a smooth one.

One of the reasons the EE X6 is such a good light is the quality of the reflector, making the most of the head diameter and giving a beautiful and defined hotspot.

I understand the current samples are not production samples, but about the switch i just hope to hear something like “yes we will make sure Manker use an omten this time” :wink: or at least “we will do our best to persuade Manker to not skimp on the switch”

If the switch is an Omten, it is a certain guarantee of ok quality, but it is not so that if the switch is branded differently or even a no-brand, that it is no good. I tested two switches recently that are the same dimension as the big square Omten (the KAN-28 and a no-brand that was in my UF-1504) and they both seem to perform just as well as Omten switches. As long as the flashlight manufacturer is aware that the switch must be of decent build, I'm not too worried about the brand.

This is the first complaint I have heard about the switch. What is the problem with it?

From the Nichia 219C thread post #168, SciFiFreak showed it coulden’t take the high amp of the Nichia 219C triple. But the real problem is, it is not an omten…… really why not have an omten?

In my eyes an omten is as essential for a reliable or even possible high amp builds as an DTP mcpcb & a high drain cell.

And djozz, there is many reported failing of the no-brand switch in the UF-1504. Everyone can decide for them self, it is a cheap part with good enough performance & a certain level of reliability, so why use anything else & more importantly why accept anything else when they are available?
The big omten’s seem to be hard to source nowadays & the KANG-28 seem to be so far just as good, BUT that is the only instance i know of so far when this is the case.

Honestly i am a bit surprised this is even a question, the importance of a reliable switch (the omten) is all over this forum……… :~

If we start to accept noname switches in these GB i see that as a step back on these high performance GB’s, if we can find anything better than the omten that’s great :slight_smile: otherwise why settle for less than good enough?

These manufacturer really don’t save any money by skimping on the switches it will just lead to more refunds & disputes from failing lights.

And you organizers of the GB’s will get more grief from users with lights that have issues so why chance it :wink:

Hello cajampa :slight_smile:

I’m all for using the best. And you are correct…Omten is a good standard to follow.

However, your only example that the switch is bad is a link to a modded light that pushes more amps than the light was designed for. Like it or not, the switch used is performing as needed for the intended design. IMHO, this is bit unfair and looking for a solution where there really is not a problem.

To say it is ‘craptastic’ because of one hi-amped modded light failure, just adds to the confusion and implies that people are getting ripped off.

I see both sides of the switch argument, both are valid. Here’s my thought: if no price has been set in stone yet, couldn’t they just use an omten and pass the extra twenty cents on in the final price, essentially costing them nothing, I don’t think anyone would complain about the cost and almost everyone will get the warm fuzzy feeling knowing it’s an omten.

I actually much prefer the switch on the BLF A6 over the BLF X6. The BLF A6 switch is stiffer and feels closer to the likes of the Nitecore P12 or Fenix PD35 (premium lights). The omten takes very little force to activate and feels cheap as a result.

One of the reasons that Omten has got a reputation for being good is a switch test I did a year ago. I did not test many switches, and there's only a few types that are branded at all (i.e. the switch in my EagleTac D25C is a small-Omten lookalike that is not branded). The test showed the surprising good quality of these cheap Omten switches, but it did not prove the bad quality of any other switch.

A suspicion that KKW had about bad quality stock switches of the UF-1504 is that people who do spring-bypasses with the switch still on the board, overheat the switch and deform the plastic, leading to failure. In some or more cases this may add to the bad reputation of this switch. At least the one I tested was fine.

You know, I think I have a few of the stock 1504 switches around that have not been touched by heat after replacing them. I may run a test on a few at 3A, 6A, 9A and see how much variation there is between them. My guess about overheating when doing the spring bypass may just be wrong, and the switches have more variation than the Omtens, thus the reputation for random failures. Honestly though I think my money is on us damaging them during the spring bypass. I’ve found switches are a lot more temperamental when subjected to too much heat than most other parts.

I and I am sure more than me thought we where getting an omten in the A6 GB just like EE where using in there A6, so i and maybe the organizers thought this problem was already sorted, and yes because you brought it up……sorry but it fealt a little like a rip off, mind you not by the organizers, because the focus was not the manker switch, ano quality, threading and so forth but the driver quality & manufacturing of it. But from manker who chose a cheaper (i hope if not why do it?) switch of unknown quality.

And you are right i don’t like it. And we don’t know if it will hold up when “used is performing as needed for the intended design” because again it is an unknown, and many of the assumptions where made at least in the A6 thread i read, based on the experiences people have had with high amp builds FET builds with the X6, that had an Omten.

I really hope we can get back to the EE quality switches here at least and not take a step backwards again.

For me personally this is a rather small issue because i can solder & replace the switches myself but many can’t. What i hope these GB’s will lead to is, that we can buy ready made tricked out lights with all the best components we use our self when we hotrod a light, only stock BLF edition & at a good price :slight_smile:

I would call this less “looking for a solution where there really is not a problem” and more preempt a potential problem before it gets to be one :wink: And yes i have every intention to pushes more amps than the light was designed for :smiley: And i want a switch that can take the beating.

The blf tradition is to modify lights and that will be the case with this one, hence the copper right?

Have you not said to Manker, ” This is what we want with these specs” or how did the conversation go? This is a light built from the ground up for us so surely the organisers have a say in what goes in it?

I had the stock white no-name switch running a triple XP-L S6, eventually moving it to a new board to do a lighted tailcap. It’s been my EDC light for about 8 months now, and is just starting to get a slight flicker that might mean the switch could need attention/replacement. Not too bad considering it’s pulling 8+ amps on a fresh battery.

Also, it should be noted that very many people had their omten switches fail on the xintd x3.

Ok, but i see some wisperings in this thread about the next future GB could be triples & quads, do you think the ones who buys them will be satisfied with 8 months use before the switch start to fail? If they can mod like us of course no problem, but if they can’t that means a dead light :frowning:
I am really surprised you and djozz find any noname unknown switches a good idea :~

But maybe i am alone in my concern, i will just continue and upgrading my switches to the best in the size i can find and stop whining about it then.

You remove some uncertainty by using branded parts, I agree that is a good idea, i.e. there's Noctigons in the A6 so we don't worry about the ledboard quality. But a lot of unbranded stuff remained: the reflector, the electronic parts for the driver, the clip and maybe more. You can use branded parts for everything (it appears that sourcing all those specific branded parts is a pain for the manufacturer, takes time and is more expensive), but you will also to some extend have to trust the manufacturer for just using parts that do the job well. And then there's the job of the BLF design team to test if it all is good enough for 'mass' production.

Yes you are right, and fortunately we have Dale who will push the part to the limit before we get our hands on them. And he have already gotten some nice numbers.

But really i don’t trust the manufacturer to know what i need that is why i mod :wink:

And if it would be easy to mass manufacture reliable hotrods it would be done already & we would not be in the golden age of flashlights :bigsmile: with these past, present & future BLF GB’s :wink:

I haven’t read anywhere that Manker won’t or can’t get omten’s but if that is the case & not just some assumption that is just how it is i guess.

I would hope this journey for BLF with Manker is such that these are the kind of issues that will get worked out, yes it may be annoying for them to get precise request but, is it not the whole point? To get them to learn how to build it to our spec with specific parts for a special performance result.