BLF Kronos X6/X5 GB - Group Buy now closed.

And will they have the light model also engraved? ie: X6 or X5?

Edit:

For example: Kronos X6 & Kronos X5?

Thank you Very Much,

George

See that makes sense to me e.g.

Side “A” says

BLF Kronos (this side does not change on any light) MFG like fewer changes

Side “B” says

X5 XXX/NNN
X6 XXX/NNN(as is applicable)

or

X5 XXX of NNN (more classy?)
X6 XXX of NNN (more classy?)
As this side needs to change with the light might as well make the S/N changes here as well.

plus the whole thing goes from the general to the specific BLF / Kronos / X”X” / XXX of NNN sort of cool huh!

They're already in production and presumably in the middle or finished with machining, based on updates/pics in OP....

I would like to tell you what it’s going to say.

My light isn’t speaking to me, if it did it’d almost certainly be in Mandarin Chinese and I wouldn’t understand it anyway.

BdaBoom

yeah , I know

No doubt someone owns an engraving machine and can put on any number we’d like.

Dibs on 6.0221409e+23 X 5 and … X6
because, obviously.

Oh, wait. Is it time to be silly yet?
With gratitude to the folks who’re making this happen.

I think I’ll try not posting in this thread again until I can say “I’ve got mine and …”

Typography, graphics, signage, logos, identity, branding… seems all too often taken for granted ala “I guess that looks good, waddya think? Is it centered?” Almost anyone could do the work of someone else’s area of expertise, but there is no substitute for the experience of a dedicated professional. Even though its true that everyone with a working pair of eyes and an impression is also expert at possibly seeing what wasn’t seen before, a pro gives a harder look at things, has the background to efficiently ponder information visualization from all possible angles, and usually doesn’t miss the details because its their job; they’re accustomed to every consideration regarding graphics. I bet anything the organizers ran their ideas by a design pro, whether a friend of theirs or the house designer at Manker, and we have already seen images of the progressing development.

I can’t find an example of a limited edition serialized anything at all that uses the format XXX/NNN. Though admittedly search-challenged, I have searched the google and, as it is in my memory, every serialized limited edition thing I can recall or find is simply serialized XXX, whether a bare number, “S/N XXX,” “Serial XXX,” “Serial No. XXX,” “No. XXX,” “Number XXX,” etc. The number limit of the set is only noted in the marketing or the literature that accompanies it. If anyone has the time, please share a link or picture of an example of XXX/NNN.

I can’t think of any flashlights with XXX/NNN notation, but I can recall seeing that notation on plenty of other things - art prints for instance. Its not an unusual thing and I’d be very pleased to see it on my set of lights, but I’d be fine with a simple XXX notation as well.

Are any of these lights still available to reserve?

I have a Sunwayman V11R mirage, it shows the serial number 113/800, as normally all limited items have.

[edit]
See for example here:

Yes

I collect art prints and x/y is the usual way to signify a limited print run.
At least before the for my taste to prominent Kronos label, I thought these flashlights could habe been a perfect piece of art.
Sorry I have to say this, but a lot of our group buys had an option to order a flashlight without print/label at all and this option is frequently used by the buyers. The “no label” preference is there and it’s not new, so a second big label as a surprise at the end of the project was IMHO not the best possible idea. To explain it further, I had the hope to use the free side for a personal gift engraving.
I know it’s pointless to bring this up again, but at least I feel better now. :wink:

My latest prized EDC is from a limited edition and is labeled 714/1000 (I was late to the party). Granted, where they chose to put this designation is small so it just does fit. This is a Brous Blades T4 in blackout trim, a 4” bladed flipper pocket knife with D2 steel blade. The limited edition designation is on the underside of the flipper protrusion. Ironically, the model number is not even present on the knife at all and the maker’s name is only on the pocket clip. The blade is absent any other markings, aside from the semi-difficult-to-locate serial number.

Over the years, manufacturer’s have gone from simply the name and number to many advanced warnings for liability issues. ArmyTek has more labeling than any other flashlight I’m aware of and while it’s well done, it’s a bit excessive. Perhaps a more simple approach really can be more elegant. I do like to see the maker and model, because I forget so readily it’s nice to have that basic information on the product so I can more easily recommend it (or not) to friends and anyone that asks.

My Convoy L2 has zero markation, sometimes I forget what it is! lol

Put me down for:

1 set- SS/Cu NW
1 set- Al NW

Thanks

why don’t we get our own blf user name on the light ??
then it would really be special and personalized.
what if we don’t always want to be reminded of Ernest T. Bass

add boxes to 276 277.
what are the dimensions of the k5 ?

30.9mm x 19.8mm x 108.9mm and 212 grams with cell

Fortunately, Kronos is a good name for a flashlight. A bit narcissistic of course, but… J/K! :bigsmile:

NNN/XXX is definitely recommended as too many lights have 3 digit numeric in their names.

BTW: what driver did they put in the BLF-348? It is AAA and Li-Ion compatible. Isn’t that just a single 7135 without any boost function?

Now that you mention it, I have seen this notation also on art prints. I have seen this hand-written in pencil either in a less prominant corner position on the front or on the back iirc. If you have an example you had in mind nearby, would you mind posting a detail pic of a limited serial?

There is the example I requested. Thank you. As I suspected it might be, the notation is typographically hideous. It looks like math.

Well, as you’ve proved, certainly sometimes, at least. But I hope not for this run, if only because the extra digits are unprovable wishful thinking, thus superfluous, but more importantly, negatively distracting to the overall clean design.

ugh… more tacky :Sp

Yes, aren’t we lucky it wasn’t “cone”, “fatboy”, “djozz” or “B42” or a thousand other usernames engraved on the light? Kronos sounds nice. After all, light, in a way, has a lot to do with time…

From wikipedia:

In Greek mythology, Cronus /ˈkroʊnəs/ or Kronos /ˈkroʊnɒs/ (Greek: Κρόνος, krónos) was the leader and youngest of the first generation of Titans, the divine descendants of Uranus, the sky, and Gaia, the earth. He overthrew his father and ruled during the mythological Golden Age, until he was overthrown by his own son Zeus and imprisoned in Tartarus.

So, Kronos was the first of a generation of Titans. The BLF X6/X5 (hopefully) will be the first generation of a Titan-class of flashlights.

And he was the patriarch of the gods Zeus, Hera, Hestia, Demeter, Hades, and Poseidon. The name evokes a great and powerful lineage. (Plus it opens the door naming future flashlights … who could resist a monster thrower named “Hades”? :evil: )

Had the name “Kronos” been brought up for a group vote and had Kronological not been one of the names of the Group Buy team member, would this name have stirred such controversy?

I, for one, would have voted in favor of the name.

I know it’s a question of faith, but do you have any recommendations for 14500 batteries from gearbest for the x5?
the black keeppower protected icr’s catched my eye…
what will be the max. current of the x5, may I take an IMR-battery ?