BLF Kronos X6/X5 GB - Group Buy now closed.

Pretty funny, when you think about it… this IS still the X6/X5 group buy thread and I don’t recall Kronological asking everyone to fill this thread with suggestions like an electronic suggestion box.

Just sayin….

The 2 lights in this forum were designed by Krono for Krono and with some feedback. Debate was over a LONG time ago. Apparently a lot of people thought it was a good plan, they all sold. If we are in need of better/bigger/smaller/more efficient designs, maybe somebody needs to start a new thread?

I personally like side-by-side 18650 lights, but I’m not sure if you could get enough buyers to do a big custom groupbuy. And it might be mechanically difficult to work everything out, as it’s very different from what the Chinese factories are used to making.

edit: Dale is right. This discussion has been about future custom light options, not a commentary on this awesome groupbuy, but this is the wrong thread anyways. I digress

A mini Small Sun ZY-T08 would be cool.
2 14500’s in parallel, or series?
One with MT-G2 for the flood lovers, one with XPL-HI for the throw lovers.
Copper board, rest naked Aluminum. Cheap, Budget.
Sorry had to add this, we really do need a new thread.
Later,
Keith

Wait. Are you saying that with the head size of the X5 being what it is, that you’d notice a 2.5mm increase in tube size in your pocket? Cuz that’s what we’re talking about - a Kronos X5 with a 2.5mm wider tube. We were never talking about a tube-style light. You brought up the A6, but Sharpie was first just talking about adding a little more capacity to the X5. You may think that 18500 is pointless, but to some people, tube width isn’t the only measure of pocketability. And the X5 is a tiny thrower. It wasn’t designed to be super slim. There are several lights that are much better at that, as Sharpie has already pointed out. IMHO, he’s right on the mark in saying that for what the X5 was designed for, a 18500 would help it do its job better. If you want to talk about tube lights, the A6 thread is still there. :wink:

Edit: About the suggestion to start a new thread. I’m for it. But, I don’t think it’s strictly necessary at this point for two reasons.

1) We’re accustomed to off-topic chatter in pretty much every thread around here. And anyway, it’s not that much off-topic. O:-)
2) The group buy is pretty much over anyway. Even the standby list has been over with for some time, and all the codes are public (or rather, individual codes were replaced with a public one).

I think you are correct. After further examination, it appears that the difference I am seeing is due to the rubber boot and not the switch itself. The heaviness is very evident if I carry the light in the front pocket of my jeans. Perhaps I will try with the clip.
Love the throw from these lights.

My daughter had her ninth birthday party yesterday }:slight_smile:

Exactly my thoughts!

0. BLF SE X7 (26650) => Large
1. BLF SE X6 (18650) => Normal
2. BLF SE X5 (14500) => Mini
3. BLF SE X4 (10440) => Micro => this would be a very nice next BLF flashlight! (a sized down x5) >-)
4. BLF SE X3 (10180) => Pico

Congratulations! Did she get some nice presents? O:-)

Did she get a pony?

An X4 for a 10440 will be best with 1x1 mm die led, so XP-E2 Torch or whatever will be best at the time (I would vote Oslon Black Flat if it would not have that clumsy non-isolated thermal pad).

Just being totally honest here, but I absolutely love the Cu X5. I’ve carried mine literally all day every day for over 2 months, 3 months? I have it on the waist band of sweat pants even now. Wore it at a track meet Saturday shooting 3855 pictures, carrying camera gear from 7:30 in the AM to 5:30 PM. The light was never once in my way, never at all a burden, and standing by with ~3000 lumens on demand. Do I worry about the 14500 format? Not at all. That’s what the spare cell in my pocket is for. Is there a 18500 out there that will deliver what this 14500 is putting out? Not to my knowledge. If this were an 18xxx sized light, I probably wouldn’t have it on my person. Mind you, I have DOZENS to choose from, they’re shelved, I carry the X5. Of course, that is merely my opinion and how I choose to use.

There is so much talk here about how the Cu X5 could be better that in all honesty I find it somewhat offensive. This IS the thread about this light. It’s really beginning to feel like people are trash talking my favorite light and that I find offensive. Just being honest. Is the thread selling the light the best place to talk bad about it? Sure, everyone wishes for something, a great many of us found it… right here.

One thing I can say here, beyond a shadow of a doubt, is that I’ve used and carried the copper X5 FAR more than anyone here. All this talk about copper not shedding heat and weight being a problem, well, since I’m speaking truthfully, it’s mostly bogus and based on lack of experience. I did the Cree Trifecta a while back for a reason. I found that the lights with copper pills held output longer, made higher numbers, than lights without copper pills. That was an extensive test of 3 Convoy C8’s, before and after ryansoh’s copper pills and even including a hot rod MT-G2 C8. Admittedly, I don’t screw around with lights that make less than 4A current draw. Haven’t for a very long time. In a factory light at or below 3A all this is pretty irrelevant anyway. But when you crank up current draw towards blowing the emitter, copper rules.

Other’s have made it quite clear, turn off the thermal management in the SS/Cu X6, it’s not needed. Better set the thermal step down at 2 1/2 - 3 minutes on the Aluminum X6 though, or be prepared for some consequences. Same kind of deal on the Cu X5 vs Al X5. One needs heat management, the other simply does not.

Done. Peace out….

Glad I’m not the only one tired of the nitpicking… very well said Dale :beer:

Dale, I will accept a lot of your experiences with flashlight materials as generally correct but together with your above bold statements about aluminium versus copper I need actual measured numbers rather than gut feeling.

Edit: I do not agree that a discussion about how a new BLF light could be made could in any way be insulting to the team that made these current group buy lights.

I don’t always agree with everything anyone here says, but Dale is right on the money. The X5 is what it is, and that is an amazing little pocketable 14500 mini version of the X6. If it wasn’t scaled to 14500 it wouldn’t really look right as a set.

The science behind the thermal stuff is there to back up his experience as well. All this anecdotal stuff is just that, anecdotal. Copper absorbs heat faster, aluminum sheds it faster.

The only thing is whether when you’re holding the light in your hand aluminum may have no advantage other than the weight savings. In a light as small as the X5 it seems fairly irrelevant though unless you really need to pack light, like when hiking 20 miles and needing to bring a full assortment of camping gear.

Yes she did, and no she did not, lolz.

I would like to see a head like the K5 made to fit a 18650 tube light and a 16650 tube light.
Would like to see two 14500s side by side with a XHP 50.
Also two efest 10450s side by side with x lamp.
16650 has a lot more capacity than 14500 and only slightly bigger.
Consider an EDC light with this battery.

Has anyone considered the relative advantages of having the cells side by side or over-under? Anyone?

These are interesting suggestions. I would love a mini 14500 A6 and the micro 10440 x5 is interesting too (though none of my batteries would handle the current).

I’m pretty annoyed by that response from Neal about my messed up tailcap. All I get is that it’s just a bit of knurling and would i accept a few $ refund (first offer was $3).

I know there have been holidays and Neal had been fighting fires but I’ve been getting short or lacklustre responses for a week now. I’m filing a Paypal claim tonight (been mentioning this to Neal a while now) unless I get shipping notice tonight. I’m not after a partial refund. It’s not a small ding. I just want a properly machined tailcap.

Also, my other cu/ss set is still in transit a month later, as us my aluminum set. I.hope those sets aren’t broken or damaged.

While the product is beautiful and the features are awesome, the crappy shipping and CS experience leaves a sour taste.

This isn’t gearbest, but it’s not much better.

2s 2p SRK can be used for xhp 50s

Let me introduce you to my friend, the Jacob A60. It’s usually about $10 to $15 and it has a tiny emitter in a big reflector to produce a laser-like beam. IIRC it gets like 70 kcd lux from an XP-E. Perhaps that would be more to your liking?

Or you could always swap the emitters on your X5 or S15. I’m pretty sure nobody on BLF would complain about someone modifying their lights. :slight_smile:

Starting with an XP-L HI as the “stock” form though, you might need to go all the way to XP-E2 or even de-domed XP-E2 to get a significant boost in throw. There isn’t much throw difference between the XP-L HI and the domed XP-G2. You can probably get a little more throw from a de-domed XP-G2 though, if you don’t mind the tint shift and fragile nature of it.

For a factory-produced light, de-domed emitters are not feasible. I’m glad Cree listened to its customers and started making no-dome emitters like the XP-L HI.