*BLF LT1 Lantern Project) (updated Nov,17,2020)

I’m interested in a couple of them.

interested

Interested!

Will the LT1 (relatively) easily topple over when it’s accidentally hit (or say, strong wind) from the side?

Re, the batteries for the LT1 — I’ve been using flat-top Sony VTC6 for BLF Q8, and so far they make proper contact with the Q8 (I tested if all of them drain similarly, and they do so). Although when I did a similar test using flat-top Samsung 30Qs, then the result could be different since the flat-tops of the 30Q are a bit more recessed… However, I have not done any impact testing with the VTC6 on the Q8 (if bumping the Q8 will cause the light to reset/restart)… I think the (raised flat-top) Sanyo GA would probably be great for the LT1 though.

I used to think that, and I guess I still do, but then I got old and now I want everything in bright, easy to find, hard to overlook colors. Give me an olive green and tan lantern, I'll set it down somewhere, and then spend 10 minutes trying to find it. I'm going to blame that 50% on eyesight, 50% on short term memory. That said I like the green color anyways, but given a choice I'd get something brighter for at least one of the lanterns.

If the diffuser was glow-in-the-dark, it would completely trash the CRI. Unfortunately, GitD material tends to massively change the tint, making it much warmer and green.

Oh rats, I thought it would be a really good idea, too.

Interested, count me in!

Please add me to the interest list! Thanks

Sofirn posted this on facebook:

I can’t see it as they have to approve me first to join their group. Do you have a screen shot of the post what its about?

Ditto on the request. I can’t see anything either and get a “content not available”.

Indeed, post screen shot please :slight_smile:

So, if somebody had a “cold” and “rosy” emitter, and put it behind GITD, it would be “perfect”? :stuck_out_tongue:

Really, thinking about how Physics works, there would be no benefit to GITD “while in use” because no matter how it’s implemented, we can get a better quality light with just what we have already. GITD is pretty good as a locator after the lights are all turned off, but only until it loses its charge, which doesn’t take long usually. If someone wants a no-input-power-needed locator light source on their lantern, they should consider tritium vials instead.

And besides, we have the LEDs on the button, no?

These work fine. :slight_smile:

Please put me down for one lantern! Thanks!

Below is a side-experiment/project i been working on ever since the first iteration of a long-running “glow light” in the Steam Pipe light i built years ago for the OldLumens hand-made competition. (which the glow tube is still glowing some 5 years later on 2 AA batteries)

form my tests i started a couple years ago, the blue LED on the lower pic has been glowing quite well non-stop 24-7, 365 days a year on the same CR2032 coin Lithium Cell, ( which i just measured at 3.13 volts, after running since Nov,12th, 2017 on a 47K 1/8 watt film-resistor, and is still far brighter than any trit. The above three collage pics show a micro lantern i modified last year, it uses a unusual remote-phosphor 5mm warm-white LED with very high angle of emittance, which glows much brighter (even the warm white LEDs) than any trit, using a 300K film-type 1/8 watt resistor on two CR2032 cells in series. With the 300,000 ohm resistor, this tiny lantern in its glow mode should glow non-stop for 7 ~ 8 years or more, much the same how these coin cells can keep a computers CMOS alive for a decade or more non stop. I been adding these CR2032 glow-modules to many of my lanterns, lights, etc. as a night light & locating light. The same idea could be incorporated in the LT1 as a night location night-light inside the head shade area or switch, running off a separate CR2032, and not even need the 18650 cells in it to power it.

interested!

@ DBSAR, if I understand your previous post, you connected a fairly large resistor, an LED, and a CR2032 cell in series and are expecting it to be lit for 7 years? Sounds like an interesting addition to the lantern. I would be interested in learning more about this in a different thread for sure. I would not have guessed the 10uA of current in an LED would put out enough light to be visible.

There was a project a while back on Kickstarter that used GITD basically like a remote phosphor for a blue LED, but the LED would only be lit occasionally for a short time in order to charge the GITD. I think it was like two seconds every thirty seconds or something. It was touted as a very-low-energy lighting source. But, with drivers and firmware developed here on BLF, we get much better results without that kind of trickery.