*BLF LT1 Lantern Project) (updated Nov,17,2020)

I wish we could set up the polls that way, (post in a reply of your favorite colors in the image in that Color-Topic poll.

Maybe we can set up a back-up list, as we know that not everyone on the current group-buy will buy all their lantern numbers, (as some have vanished due to the list & LT1 project beginning 3+ years ago.)

My view on accoutrements.

Top hat reflector collapsible shade yes

Side directional shade yes

paracord lanyard nice, could be DIY. Should be inexpensive

-charging cable robust 6 foot USB-C cable +

Charging cable 12 volt direct will there be enough compatible devices to justify it? Declining cigarette lighters in cars may minimize utility. Jumper cables?

-USB-C to 2.1Ɨ5mm adapter for 12 volt charging

-padded storage bag potentially handy if low price

plastic wide base To add stability & grip for uneven or angled surfaces needs some thought. I would like to see metal. Clamp-on legs may more effective and weigh less.

-Cap for the lantern head when used without battery tube. To protect the internal contacts when using the lantern without the battery tube powered from USB-C sources. Yes with a seal. +

-Accessory storage bag has merit if reasonable cost. It looks nice and seems to deal with most of the expected parts. Maybe a bulk buy? Better than keeping the lantern in bits and pieces in the house/car/mountains. The one in DSBARā€™s demo would be pretty close to optimal.

Thatā€™d be awesome if that could happen. Iā€™d definitely be in

EVERY ONE of these colors are spot on. I love them all.

Uhā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦ I think Sig is on vacation! :person_facepalming: :beer:

I have set up a back-up list already, taking names for the ā€œover-flowā€

My LT1 is expected delivery on Friday. Dayum quick!

Is this driver design discussed somewhere? I do not see mention of it in the OP or manual.

:+1:

ā€¦. it will be a pain to see people start receiving their lanterns while we have yet to order them. Happy for them, but ā€¦. :frowning:

Just wait for the first ā€˜majorā€™ flaw that appears in batch 1 and youā€™ll be happy to not have ordered (I. E. button on the Q8) .
Or maybe they will improve something in batch 2 that youā€™ll be glad to have (I. E. Color) .
Might be the other way around with cost cutting gone wrong (I. E. Fw3a lens/optics).

You just never know beforehand and in retrospect all things so far are all pretty minor.

While I donā€™t think it was necessary to got by the list order, I do feel it is a nice gesture towards the people sticking to the lantern for several years.

Of course, the pain will be real nonetheless

Does anyone have a pointer for how to set up a flashing device for the LT1 pads? I have a couple of Lexel programming keys I could use in addition to the USB device.

BLF LT1 lantern first impressions:

I updated the LT1 first to the 2019-10-02 Anduril firmware, but otherwise didnā€™t do any changes.

Initial comments: a good lantern, I like the tint.

Comments below are after updating to the 2019-10-02 firmware (the stock installed firmware has ā€˜factory resetā€™ function but didnā€™t have the ā€˜version checkā€™ function; I didnā€™t do much test on the stock firmware before I updated it to the latest firmware though.

BLF LT1 lantern updated with 2019-10-02 firmware:

• default is stepped ramping mode, with 5 steps. On first battery insertion, turn On will be the 3rd brightness stepping.

- at lower brightness, tint-ramping resolution is smaller (this has been mentioned in some part of this thread), but itā€™s sort of noticeable

- brightness ramping from ramp-floor to ramp-ceiling seems to be about 3 seconds

- tint-ramping from one end to to the other end (very warmest to coolest or vice-versa) seems to be about 4 seconds
(in this case, if itā€™s in a very low brightness, like in smooth ramping, then I think there are only 2 or 3 tint-ramp steps, which still takes about 4 seconds to get that 3 tint-ramp steps)
-lowest step in default stepped ramp mode: tint-ramp seems to have 6 tint-ramp steps (also takes about 4 seconds)

- tested charging at USB 5v, end-charge voltage for my sample was around 4.175v (right after charging indicator turns green, I removed battery and checked with my DMM);
end charge current (USB side), seems to be about 0.15A (measured from the USB side)

- flat-top batteries work (at least when I tested mine - LG HG2 flat-tops & Sony VTC6 flat-tops ā€” I tested the LG HG2 and all 4 drained to the same level, indicating they all make contact)

• the battery carrier/body tube of the Sofirn Q8 and BLF Q8 will screw properly to the BLF LT1 lanternā€™s head (the body tube appears to be exactly the same as the Sofirn Q8 battery carrier body tube)

- I tested running the LT1 at max brightness for a few hours. I manually stopped to check the lantern later (batteries drained to 3.60v tested on DMM, not yet low-batt), before I stopped the test, I checked the temperature of the LT1ā€™s top, which felt quite warm, and it registered around 60 degrees Celsius (ambient temperature is around 31 degrees Celsius, and with little ventilation since it was inside the room, and not near a window).

IIRC, the Zanflare lantern was castigated for doing 55celsius, people were already concerned about it, but this one 61.4?

Edit: Here is my post about it:

After 48min: 55.9c (the peak temp before it started to go down as the battery discharged)

After 1hr, 2min: Temp steadily decreasing to 53.1c

Received my lantern yesterday. It was ordered from AliExpress immediately after sales started.

Currently charging the batteries. Many thanks to DBSAR and the team for their remarkable efforts.

Iā€™ve wanted an LT1 in orange ever since the suggestion came up. At the time I thought I wouldnā€™t be particularly keen on green, but after seeing the rendering thatā€™s going to be my second choice. And the rich blue colour looks amazing, too.

How many hours does it run at max brightness and at how many lumens?

The problem with the Zanflare T1 is, that it uses the battery tube as a heatsink, which is very bad for the battery and can even be dangerous with cheap or damaged batteries. In our LT1 only the top part gets hot and there are only the LEDs which can handle such temperatures without problems. Also was this test performed under the worst possible circumstances: maximal power, high ambient temperature and basically no airflow. The normal, real world temperatures are lower.

I know, but I also tested the OEM cellā€™s temp right after the 55c max temp of the T1 lantern, and it was way below the bodyā€™s 55c.

For all intents and purposes, both lanterns are very safe to use, even in sustained High output. (assuming of course high-quality batteries are used)