BLF Newb 1st purchase check in please

I am done at least until I receive some lights and parts to find out if I even like this stuff apart from looking at pretty pictures.
Speaking of which, here’s my wishlist so far:
Olight Baton S1 + S2

Ok, what the heck… one of each…. brass and copper

ReyLight Lumintop. I’d like the Reylight version because I like the font used in the branding. Looks like this light belongs on a pirate ship!

There are indeed more… but these 2 (or 4) (or 6 if I do S1+S2) hahaha
I could see this being me:

The Olights are nice, in that they are copper, but that makes them very heavy. Also, they only come in Cool White, around 6000K Color Temperature and less than 70 CRI. I think the only light you have mentioned that has High CRI is the Tool. (but I have not read every post)

I think Cool White is best suited for situations where the ambient light is also Cool White. Since you live in an area with no street lighting, I would want something less Cool, like the N219B which runs about 4500K. Im a huge Nichia fan. I dont chase bears, so thousands of Cool White Lumens is not on my radar.

Before you spend a bunch of money on superbright Low CRI lights, I suggest you include something with a Nichia 219B. It makes BC buds look much more realistic color than Cool White sources. Imo, Nichia is much better for color fidelity, Cool White is just brighter, but bluer, and wont show reds properly.

Another member that lives in your are and has excellent modding skills is gunga. Maybe PM him also.

recent deal was the copper tool for $17.50 (deals Over) I got one of each tint. Don’t like looks of the tail switch but couldn’t pass it up for the price. So, I also threw in a Ti tool because of the clean look.

I have an AAA fetish. If it’s not aluminum, I want one.

Ya, I doubt I will actually spend the big bucks on the Olight unless I can scoop up a used one or there’s a good sale. The Canadian dollar is pretty weak and pushes up the price quite a bit…
Of the lights I have coming I am 50/50 with the tints so I will get an idea of what I prefer. As it stands right now I think I will prefer the warmer tints even at the expense of lumins. I like to see colour.
Thanks for the help over PM BTW.

I am glad I joined this forum.

I would have jumped on that light but I am not a VIP2 yet…. Yet…

a Copper Tool w Nichia from Bangood with code Lumintop is still a very good buy for $28. That code also still works for a TiTool and brings it to $35. You do not need to be VIP2 to get those prices.

The copper version is much more efficient on High. The TiTool has trouble shedding heat and starts flickerig after 13 minutes on high. The Copper version will run 56 minutes.

Looks like your wallet took a hit, but at least one of the lights is “for your wife” (typical excuse… LOL!)
I look forward to your impressions of the lights you ordered.

FWIW Warmer Tint alone does not mean High CRI, there are Neutral white LEDs that are just more yellow, without being higher CRI. Until you get a Nichia, you wont know what youre missing.

Also, PWM is a criteria that you have not yet considered, I believe most of the FET drivers use PWM. Many people dont care about PWM, Im extreme and wont buy lights that use it. My wallet stays fatter that way.

A NoPWM light with a Nichia LED is a unique set of features. The Nichia Tool uses No PWM btw.

I chose the Nichia 219B for the Quad S41 because all the other lights I ordered are Cree. I won’t be receiving that for at least 6-7 weeks though.

Yes my wallet needs to rest and I need to see if I am actually into this stuff before I buy more. I already crossed the “practical” line by about $100. No big deal.

Cheers

nice
here is a review from maukka, my favorite reviewer, because he posts spectrum graphs

And so it begins!

Postman brought some treats for me today! (I used to call getting post treats Vapemail… what do you guys call it? lumenmail?

I ordered from Gearbest on Aug. 28th… So 15 days and I have an EE x2r and Convoy S2+ in my possession!

I can’t wait for it to get dark tonight and take my Schnauzer for a walk. From what I can tell these guys are pretty freaking bright! Woo-Hoo! (remember this is my first ever experience with “high power” LED flashlights (and I am also very easily impressed…)

The Eagle Eye x2r came in a very damaged box. It was missing the lanyard (boo hoo), the extra O rings and the green tail cap. I feel completely ripped off! (not really actually but it does bug me, seems silly that I am considering opening a ticket for $2 worth of stuff but it is MY stuff)

My initial impression of both lights is that they are quite nice, very bright in the daytime and the threading is great and a pleasure to screw.

This is fun!

Your first LED lights. Yes, you’ll be impressed at the size/lumens ratio. It’s amazing what Li-ion cells and state of the art LEDs can do, and it’ll only get better.

I have 10 year old LED lights and at one time I thought they were acceptable. Today… not so much.

I kinda wish you got the SS in first. That would make you giggle and smile.
I was messing with the X2R also and swapped parts the other day with my S2+ and X6 host. Posted them in “what you got today” thread that some parts Lego. Had a guy that makes pills tell me they do not. Just said OK and deleted that part of my post. :smiley:

I should read back to see what you got for the S2+. I bought a blue Host cause I wanted the metal switch cap. Kinda thought the bluw would be the easiest color to get used to… lets just say it wasn’t blue for long… MMMM, Sodium Hydroxide, no more BLUE!
X2R is respectable in brightness stupid simple 3 modes and I really like it starting in Last mode used (memory). Mine is 3C tint, I like it along with the Knurling. Knurling is just a bit sharper than the S series I have, bit more grippy but not too sharp at all. And it’s my favorite Convoy color, Titanium Grey. Last count was 4 S2+ and one S2 in Grey, now the X2R.
Make sure you understand the charging. Turn light ON, plug in usb (light goes out) and led indicator goes red. Plugging in the usb with light off will make the light go on for a few Sec and then off and led indicator goes Green, However I do not thing this is charging at all but if you simply hit the tail switch the indicator goes Red to where you were in the previous method (red, charging)

If you were in the states I would send you a bag full of Lanyards.
BTW I got X2R goodie bag and there were 2 tail caps, one black one a yellowed clear, One O-ring, clip and lanyard. Not exactly as described.

As for the missing parts I am of the group who pursues things like that through paypal customer dispute (assuming) it was paid through paypal). In part I do that because I figure that maybe, just maybe, if they get caught/scolded on things like sloppy shipping enough, the might package better. Probably a false hope on my part, but if they are never brought to task on things like this they have no impetus to improve. But, I may be alone in that.

Anyhow have fun with the lights and the mods to come.

I got hooked by buying a light and making a first, simple change……

I found the little baggie of “extras” stuffed into the bottom of my crumpled box…
1 green rubber tailcap, 2 O-rings and my dang lanyard! Yippee!

No clips. But I knew that. I forgot to order clips. I did order 2 deep pocket clips along with green and a black 18350 S2+ tubes from Mtn. Electronics when I ordered the drivers for my triple builds…

VDub I ordered the Eagle Eye X2R with 3C tint in titanium grey
and
The S2+ in green with 6 drivers and 4C tint

I think I prefer the knurling on the EE but the S2+ is nice and smooth. Can’t tell which tint I like better. It just got dark and I’ve been out for a few minutes… came in to get a beer…

I’d like to see your lego pictures even if they are impossible and probably photoshopped!

So how do you like the light?

Fesso, the gd bomb in a family forum? Really?

Whoops , edited. I wasn’t at all upset, just making a poor joke…

:smiley:That would be the understatement of the year!:open_mouth::slight_smile:
I got one in the mail today. This thing is a “Hefty Beast”, a Gorilla in the world of mere monkeys……… :slight_smile:
But I do like it… :wink: ……. a lot. :+1:

I still look forward to receiving mine… I am totally into heft!

Ok so now I have discovered the” Cryos copper bezel”:http://www.cryosillumination.com/copper-cryos-cooling-bezel/. Looks monstrous and awesome. Would I then have to jump into the P60 world if I wanted to get one of those going?

I think you will be pleased then, I know I am. :+1:
I’m just waiting on it to get dark so I can really check it out…………. :wink: