BLF Newb 1st purchase check in please

Should. but tolerances can always put a fly in the ointment. Too tight would be optimal, file or sand it to fit. Too loose, well, it’ll still be sitting on the floor of the emitter shelf so it’ll still be fine. There are threads for the reflector in the top portion of the SS/Cu variant, the heat sink will sit below them. You’ll still have to trim the 32mm Noctigon a bit bit not a big deal.

Very nice. Do tell! What is it? Is that a quad emitter in there? Looks like it…

S2+ triple with Nichia 219C
MtnE Fet+1 and A6 firmware
11 Amps on the tail.
Host was a blue S2+ with metal tail SW.
Hate the colors but thats all you can get with the metal tail cap. Stripped the Blue Anno, used red scuff pad for the brushed look.
The stack is all soldered together with solder paste on a hot plate. Same as this one but a previous build with XP-L HI

Oh and the new host had a bum tail switch. Had a spare and soldered it on the SW board. Original was weak on first click. Draw of a triple killed it quick. New SW has a strong click.

The switch can/will go soft if too much heat gets inside from soldering the tabs onto the pcb. I like to use fine point tweezers to hold the metal tab close to the plastic switch body, acting as a heat sink. And of course, solder quickly. :wink: (Pre-tinning the ends of the tabs as well as the pcb contacts can help a lot!)

So let’s review… in the last 2 weeks I have ordered but have not yet received:

I started off just wanting a good flashlight. I was looking at the Convoy S2+ but I ended up getting the EE x2r. It was a tough call…

Actually not too tough of a call as I was able to justify in my head getting 2 good flashlights if I give one to my wife…. so the Convoy S2+ Green goes into the cart as well…

So then after more and more reading here I discover triple emitter builds and suddenly I need to build me a triple.
I see an ad in the WTS section for heatsinks for building a triple EE X6.

I get some encouragement from Dale here in this thread and that seals the deal… BUT I just bought 2 flashlights…
I do some more mental gymnastic justification and decide that my Dad would like a hand built Hot-Rod flashlight for XMas…

So I order 2 of everything from a member here… (I will build myself one too)
EE X6 heatsinks
mcpcb

ledil cute 3-ss Optics

I also order up 2 EEx6 Hosts

In the meantime I am reading and reading threads here on BLF….
I stumble across the Astrolux SS and it’s the coolest flashlight I have seen yet in terms of aesthetics…. I like Heavy Metal (horns!) and I especially like the potential for patina…

But I just bought basically the same light (to turn into a triple though)
So I get a brilliant idea which I am not %100 positive will work… but it just might….

I figure my Father-in-law would also like a great flashlight for XMas. I decide to order the Astrolux SC.
I intend to strip it down and put the components into one of the EE X6 Hosts and give that to my Father-in Law leaving the Astrolux SS as a host for my triple emitter build… The second EE X6 host will also be built into a triple for my Dad….

I still need Drivers for the builds and with some help from you guys I decide to order 2x FET + 7135 Drivers. I choose the Bistro firmware and the Complete | Wires + Bypassed Spring option.

I also order some solder, wick, thermal paste, deep pocket clips and a couple of 18350 tubes for the Convoy S2+ and EE xr2 (I think it will lego) from Mountain Electronics…

Meanwhile I can’t get this guy out of my head…. It’s FULL COPPER….
I know it’s coated but that can be removed and patina could work

VW Pieces points me to an amazing deal on some Q30 batteries… I will need more batteries (I also Vape and am only using 1x18650 at the moment so I order up 6x Samsung 30Q 18650s

I watch mhanlen’s (Advanced Knife Bro) review of the” Kronos X5 + X6 (Astrolux SS+SC) “:https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/40240over and over because I can’t stop thinking about the SC. (I watch all of his reviews to go to sleep at night…. he’s funny!)

Meanwhile I see this

I already saw mhanlen’s review of the S41 with the black tube, I thought it was great but I don’t need it…. now here it is in SS and Copper… It’s a wee version of the Astrolux SS. What a cool set that would make! I post in the gauging intrest thread that I would like one. 2 days later I get a PM that the pre-order group buy is up and I order the SS 4x Nichia 219B (with an extra 18650 tube of course)

I realize that my battery charger is only 1 bay… time for an upgrade….so I have a look around and find the XTAR Vc4 for %50 off (with the help of a member here)

I still can’t get this out of my head…

so I order it along with the charger . My reasoning is this: I will now have a very nice set of SS and Copper lights.
Something like this:

This is the perfect set of lights for me. (minus the heat-treated one)
Astrolux SS
Astrolux SC
Astrolus S41 SC + Copper

I am done now…

Please, let us know how that works out for you………… :person_facepalming: …… :smiley:

I was thinking that at that rate he’ll be set for about a week or less. :smiley:

I have bought several of the same lights in the last 2 weeks because if the big sale, coupons, points and lowest prices I have seen.

Looking at the way the EE lights were made and a Convoy fanboy. I grabbed the X2R to possibly gift to someone. Also the triple raffle made me wanna build an X6 on my own and started acquiring parts.

The X6 host and my X2R arrived already from GB, 11 days.
X2R is a well made housing. Finish and color similar to my Grey S2+. Simple H-M-L w/ Memory modes and bright enough for 95% of the worlds flashlight needs. Internals? Mine works and charges, indicator LED is almost invisible till lit. May not dig-in to it till it doesn’t work.
X6 host is nice quality too. Itching for my triple parts to complete it. Fine knurling that is smooth yet grippy with the flat finish. Threads all look good and the tube threads are square flat top. Also lego with my S2+. Fins in the head are cut deep, much deeper than the Astro SS I have.

At this point I have at least one of every flashlight you purchased so far. Good choices and you should be happy with them all.
Not to influence you… :smiley: . But I think an S2+ Triple may be your next project.

ROFLMAO!

Welcome to the club, fellow flashaholic! :smiley:

(the little full copper X5 is a personal favorite. love it. makes an outrageous quad and my quad build is, in fact, the basis for that Manker S41. Very sweet little lights, mind boggling in their capabilities.)

Yeah….
Fesso has yet to receive any of his purchases. I’m sure the refresh button on the tracking is getting worn out. IT guys prolly want to block his IP address from the servers.
Anxiety, twitching, loss of sleep…. His poor Wife.

Not that I know, or have any of those symptoms. Nor would I post some of the lights I have received already to tease him at all.

The subject line of our PM;s is
Enablers enabling AGAIN and Again.
If he is done now… I guess I am Blocked.

You’ve been a terrible influence so far…. thanks Buddy!

I am not sure if I am going to like Modding or not. I guess I’ll find out when all the parts arrive. I am excited to try it out.

From yours and V-Dub’s replies it looks like at least I have good taste and a pretty good intuition as to what’s good or not. The is a sea of shit to wade through, learn about and discern … guess it’s like that in any niche market.

Ok, now we need a picture from everyone with all your flashlights turned on bright at the same time.

You go first.

I am done at least until I receive some lights and parts to find out if I even like this stuff apart from looking at pretty pictures.
Speaking of which, here’s my wishlist so far:
Olight Baton S1 + S2

Ok, what the heck… one of each…. brass and copper

ReyLight Lumintop. I’d like the Reylight version because I like the font used in the branding. Looks like this light belongs on a pirate ship!

There are indeed more… but these 2 (or 4) (or 6 if I do S1+S2) hahaha
I could see this being me:

The Olights are nice, in that they are copper, but that makes them very heavy. Also, they only come in Cool White, around 6000K Color Temperature and less than 70 CRI. I think the only light you have mentioned that has High CRI is the Tool. (but I have not read every post)

I think Cool White is best suited for situations where the ambient light is also Cool White. Since you live in an area with no street lighting, I would want something less Cool, like the N219B which runs about 4500K. Im a huge Nichia fan. I dont chase bears, so thousands of Cool White Lumens is not on my radar.

Before you spend a bunch of money on superbright Low CRI lights, I suggest you include something with a Nichia 219B. It makes BC buds look much more realistic color than Cool White sources. Imo, Nichia is much better for color fidelity, Cool White is just brighter, but bluer, and wont show reds properly.

Another member that lives in your are and has excellent modding skills is gunga. Maybe PM him also.

recent deal was the copper tool for $17.50 (deals Over) I got one of each tint. Don’t like looks of the tail switch but couldn’t pass it up for the price. So, I also threw in a Ti tool because of the clean look.

I have an AAA fetish. If it’s not aluminum, I want one.

Ya, I doubt I will actually spend the big bucks on the Olight unless I can scoop up a used one or there’s a good sale. The Canadian dollar is pretty weak and pushes up the price quite a bit…
Of the lights I have coming I am 50/50 with the tints so I will get an idea of what I prefer. As it stands right now I think I will prefer the warmer tints even at the expense of lumins. I like to see colour.
Thanks for the help over PM BTW.

I am glad I joined this forum.

I would have jumped on that light but I am not a VIP2 yet…. Yet…

a Copper Tool w Nichia from Bangood with code Lumintop is still a very good buy for $28. That code also still works for a TiTool and brings it to $35. You do not need to be VIP2 to get those prices.

The copper version is much more efficient on High. The TiTool has trouble shedding heat and starts flickerig after 13 minutes on high. The Copper version will run 56 minutes.

Looks like your wallet took a hit, but at least one of the lights is “for your wife” (typical excuse… LOL!)
I look forward to your impressions of the lights you ordered.

FWIW Warmer Tint alone does not mean High CRI, there are Neutral white LEDs that are just more yellow, without being higher CRI. Until you get a Nichia, you wont know what youre missing.

Also, PWM is a criteria that you have not yet considered, I believe most of the FET drivers use PWM. Many people dont care about PWM, Im extreme and wont buy lights that use it. My wallet stays fatter that way.

A NoPWM light with a Nichia LED is a unique set of features. The Nichia Tool uses No PWM btw.

I chose the Nichia 219B for the Quad S41 because all the other lights I ordered are Cree. I won’t be receiving that for at least 6-7 weeks though.

Yes my wallet needs to rest and I need to see if I am actually into this stuff before I buy more. I already crossed the “practical” line by about $100. No big deal.

Cheers