BLF Ti - post your pics and specs

I’m using a qlite, with chips on both sides. I didn’t use the retaining ring, as yes it fouls the 7135’s. I just used friction to hold the driver in place. So long as it makes contact it should be good and with a battery in there pressing against it, it can’t go anywhere.

I soldered the driver to the pill. I thought that was what most people did.

I also used a fine diamond file to make a couple slots in the pill so I could tighten it with needle nose pliers.

Hi,

I just got a couple of the LD-2 drivers and was hoping to use one of them with the triple pill that came with the BLF TI, but I was just some test fitting of the driver in the pill, and noticed that the pill has a rather “wide” ledge, so the components on the emitter side of the driver will touch the ledge.

Are you all have to grind that ledge off to get drivers to work in that pill?

Thanks,
Jim

Sorry I didn’t see this. Yes, the optic I had was this one, I think (or something similar):

https://www.fasttech.com/products/1606/10001329/1250300-8-degree-angle-optical-condenser-lens-optic-with

I had to peel the white plastic “shell” off and used just the clear lens part.

Jim

OOps! It turns out that “wide ledge” was actually a retaining ring :(… And that has tiny holes drilled in the edge for turning it, but they had flipped the retaining ring over so it looked like it was part of the pill. I didn’t realize this until I started trying to grind the ledge and it started spinning :)…

Jim

EDIT:

The ring:

And this is the TI with the TIR:

I realized that I probably should’ve posted about this here, rather than in LD-2 info thread (LD-2 : 6Amps pwm-less linear driver - info and FAQ thread).

I’ve been using the LD-2 driver in the triple pill and the retaining ring that came with the TI, and I’m finding the problem I mentioned in that other thread. Basically, it seems like if I use a longer battery like my Eagletac protected, the light turns on in high mode when I start screwing it together. I’ve covered the battery side of the LD-2 driver with kapton tape now, so it can’t be shorting there, so where else? I suspecting that maybe the switch side spring may, which is kind of long and soft, may be “leaning over” and touching the body with the longer battery, but obviously, I can’t see inside the light.

I also have a spring on the LD-2, but it’s pretty small, so I don’t know if that could lean over (but maybe)?

Did anyone have any problems with this? Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Jim

EDIT: Also, how does the “stock” switch cap come apart? I’ve tried unscrewing the nylon piece at the front, but it doesn’t budge. I was hoping I could switch in a shorter, stiffer spring.

The switch doesn’t readily come apart which is one reason Wefans offered a new one. Cells don’t seem to go into the tail past the female switch threads so a tube or sleeve around the spring that covers those threads might solve the shorting problem. It may be why some lights use a cap and sleeve approach on their battery connections.

Hi,

THANKS!

I was just about to post that I think I’ve found the problem. It looks like there are some tiny spots on the tail end (on the sides) where the insulation got broken through, so those were shorting the negative side.

What started me looking at that was I was doing a test with the light body assembled, but without the tailcap at all (i.e., the tailcap end was empty, and as I was screwing the end tube in, the light came on… and I went “Huh?!”.

Looking into the tube more closely, I think that what is happening is if the battery negative end goes further back into the tube where it is past where the threads start, that is cutting the battery insulation.

I don’t know how it is for others, but the battery tube on my BLF TI is SUPER tight. I cannot even get some batteries to even go into either end of the tube!!!

Can you explain about the sleeve thing you mentioned? Since the battery tube is already so tight, I think that if there was any sleeve in there, that would not allow any batteries to be pushed far enough back to contact the switch spring?

For now, I’ve put some tape around the Eagletac near the negative end which makes it a tight fit (the Eagletac is “slim”), but it seems to work.

I’m not sure what a good solution is for this, other than only using slim batteries and never force a tight fitting one?

Thanks again!

Jim

I machined a few thou from this area for the battery to install crorectly. I'd suggest if you had a Dremel and flap wheel you could do the same thing quickly.

Hi,

BTW, so i should ask now: What batteries have you all been using that fit the BLF TI not-so-tightly?

On mine, Samsung INR18650-20R don’t even come close to fitting (too wide).

Trustfire flame protected can get in, but damage the insulation because they’re too tight. Similar for Eagletac protected.

I have some gray laptop pulls from a long time ago that fit, and also the Efest button tops seem to fit.

Thanks,
Jim

One of my Reylights uses the LD-2 driver with retaining ring and without problems.

There are traces on the battery side of the LD-2.

I put a tiny ring of solder on the rim of the battery side of the driver to make sure the traces are not shorted by the retainer when the retainer is snugged down.

Spring on driver not needed. Takes room. Use dab of solder or one of RMM’s little brass buttons instead.

Test the completed driver/emitter/pill/ installed in the head with a battery and a couple inches of wire for the ground. Make and break the wire to sequence the light through its modes. (careful! not to short the battery!) This may help determine which end of the light is causing problems. A too tight battery can torque things out of alignment at either end of the light.

There’s already too much spring on the switch end; don’t want to add more on the driver end.

Good luck! I love the LD-2 in this light.

MG,

Thanks. I’ll try adding some small solder blobs to the battery side ground ring. That’s probably a good idea regardless.

As to which end is causing the shorting, as I mentioned in the previous post, I’m pretty sure that it’s the shorting to the battery case near the tailcap end.

I’ll think about removing the spring from the LD-2. The thing is if I do that, then the light won’t work with flat top batteries, I think?

BTW, which batteries do you use?

Thanks for the hints/tips. Back to the basement for me :)…

Later,
Jim

The sleeve would need to be slightly shorter than the compressed spring. It’s just there to prevent the spring from flexing sideways into the side of the host and bypassing the switch.

One way to remove some extra thread material would be to mark where the switch needs to bottom out and install the switch retainer only(no switch)to that point and use it as a stop for any Dremel work. My preferred method is to wrap some masking tape around a 5/8” drill bit with ~ 3/4” wide x 2 1/2” long strip of sandpaper (w/d200) secured under the last 1/2” of tape. Adjust how snug it is by adding removing layers of tape. Back up the retainer with some tape on the button side to keep it from spinning out while you drill. You should be able to spin it down to smooth metal. This might seem at first like a hack method but I assure you it can be extremely accurate.

Hi,

Would a cylinder hone like this work?

If that would work, would I also be able to use that to “slightly increase the inner diameter of the tube (remember, the body is made of TI)?

Thanks,
Jim

Hi,

I added the blobs on the ground ring and removed the spring, and I deposited a rather large blob of solder on the spring pad. It kind of works, but now it looks like it won’t work with flat tops.

I find that Efest purple 18350 cells work well in this light, but I’m using it in shorty form. Earlier I also found that a 20R / 25R cell worked, but only if it was bare and not the button-top version.

I used a brass button on the driver since I saw no point in putting a spring there.

I didn’t realize that the 20R was available in flat top. I’ll see if I can get those, because the button top ones are really thick (I’ve had problems with it in other lights also).

Thanks,
Jim

A cylinder hone would work abeit more slowly. One advantsge to tape and sandpaper is you can target the removal to just where you need it with the width of sandpaper used.

You know you can take the button and the extra wrapper off, right? Then you’ll have a flat-top cell which fits.

No, I didn’t know that :)! But I’ll keep the button tops the way they are, as I have a headlight that only uses button tops.

Thanks for the info!

Jim