Boeing's Starliner POS

This thing is such a bucket of bolts.
Scammers from way back in my book.
What say you BLF?

3 Thanks

“If it’s Boeing, I ain’t going!”

Boeing is what happens when you start with an engineering culture of quality and pride in their work, then hire managers to pressure it back out of everyone because they want ten times as many done by yesterday, no matter how many corners have to be cut to make it happen.

9 Thanks

Yeh, I’ve seen it in small companies, restaurants, etc., as well as in big companies.

You start out with an impeccable reputation, earned long and hard over the years, then when the owners want to retire or at least take a backseat, they hire bozos to run the day-to-day, who want to “earn their keep” by maximising profits for the owners, ultimately to the company’s demise.

“Rome wasn’t built in a day… but it burned in one.”

4 Thanks

After succesfully avoiding boeing flights for 7 years, circumstance has forced me to book a return ryanair flight. It’s an NG, not a MAX but I’m still scared :poop:less.

1 Thank

It’s sad that so many commercial planes are made by Boeing, and Boeing isn’t as committed to safety as they used to be. :money_mouth_face:
I mean, I hate traveling very far, and I hate flying, and that’s assuming that the flight will be completely safe! :grinning:

1 Thank

Pretty amazing that with all of the money that they have spent (if in the US, YOUR money) they can’t get it right.
Pretty embarrassing. Both for Boeing and for NASA. But worse, I wouldn’t like to be one of the astronauts that has to fly in the damn thing…

1 Thank

The McDonnell Douglas bean counters set out to murder Boeing ( by getting rid of their engineers ) after the “merger”.

2 Thanks

so there are more leaks than the ones it left Earth with? am I supposed to be surprised?

SpaceX is pretty much dominating spacefaring right now… As much as I dislike Elon, that company is years ahead of everyone in price, environmental impact and reliability. Boeing did a big money pit there and I fail to see the need for it since Crew Dragon exists and works well. And Dragon cost the US tax payer almost half the money.

The new Ariane we built in the EU is nice, but too outdated already by the time it launches compared to the Falcons which are more advanced and have an outstanding track record for years.

3 Thanks

Yeah, I’m no longer an Elon fan (though I used to be), but some of his companies like SpaceX and Starlink are impressive. :+1:

2 Thanks

Yeah, I used to think he’s pretty cool, but either drugs or something else just made him really weird in the past few years. His political views are something I don’t share in the slightest, and even outside of politics he’s mostly a douche by now.

Doesn’t matter though, I still really appreciate what both SpaceX and Tesla have contributed to our society.

1 Thank

Yep, Tesla has changed the automobile landscape forever.
If the average Tesla vehicle were as reliable as the typical Toyota, maybe I’d jump on the the Tesla bandwagon, but our family prefers extremely reliable cars, and I’m still not sold on hybrid/electric cars because when the Li-Ion batteries die, it’s quite expensive to replace them. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Thank

At the risk of generating undesirable discourse… he’s always been a blood money heir who bought into promising companies, bullied the founders out and doctored history to make himself appear as a visionary founder. It’s the last few years that cracks have formed in the personality cult style PR facade but the person has always been the person.

3 Thanks

He enabled a bunch of companies with good ideas but insufficient funds and public interest to bloom - that’s probably the second best thing one can do with hereditary blood money (after trying to make life better for the poor people your family exploited). I am pretty sure neither Tesla nor SpaceX would have happened (at least not at this scale) without Elons money.

2 Thanks

That’s true with most people, and I agree that it applies to Elon.
I just didn’t know his true self until after he purchased Twitter. :+1:

2 Thanks

I’m cynical about pretty much everything nowadays, I can’t help but see all the Musk companies following the Amazon model: start with a good product and completely undercut the market… Once you’ve destroyed the competition and have a monopoly on the market, you can provide a !@#$ service and jack up prices as much as you want…

3 Thanks

I understand this viewpoint but personally I’m consistently struggling to see public interest in the success of any entity whose ultimate goal is maximum profit and concentration of wealth.

1 Thank

100% this. That really was the point where quality started going down the drain. Boeing absolutely got the shaft in that deal.

1 Thank

Still stuck up there.
At what point do they just launch it into low orbit and let it burn up?
Send up the Tesla Taxi to pick up the astronauts , at least that one is reliable.
If this does not lose their contract, what will??

I’ve not seen anything like that with any Musk company, do you have at least one example?

Tesla, started by others, but got fired up when Musk bought in. My brother bought a Model Y over a year back. My wife bought the identical car for $13,000 less and the price has dropped. In no manner has Tesla destroyed the competition or jacked up prices. Nor would they be able to. Much too competitive of a market.

Space X - Tesla is performing top notch in this space. The military would not let Space X do what you claim even if they could. I have friends and relatives (all engineers) who work for both Musk and Boeing. I can tell you that it is night and day how different each company rolls. Boeing is a huge lumbering behemoth and makes you all but fill out the famous TPR reports seen in “The Office” and make you hate the daily grind. Where as, relative pitched Musk and some other top dudes a solid idea and they massaged it a tad, executed, funded and monetized it and near immediately, turning into a huge moneymaker for Starlink.

I wish the Boeing craft well, but the reality is that they were paid billions more for the same job than space x and have radically under-performed them. Lightbringer has a good explanation upthread. Musk started that company because he wanted to go to Mars, and it looks like he’ll make that happen. Damned impressive regardless.

Boeing is a suck place to work unless you want to plod along and get yer 30 years and a pension. Space X is vibrant and empowering. In no way have I seen any Musk company “destroy the competition” like you note, and then raise prices. Boeing named their price and it was given to them (getting $4.2 billion compared to the $2.6 billion SpaceX for identical work). Musk will kick your ass to the curb if you are paperwork surfing. He want’s passionate, intelligent, hardworking people. He gets them, and they love their jobs. As a result, he gets and keeps high quality people.

2 Thanks