Boruit Headlamp Review D10 (aka. EHL0628) - King of the Budget Headlamps?

Unfortunately I didn’t manage to achieve that green tint like @flightless22 achieved on their clone D10. They must be using some different chemicals in their ano. I barely managed to get a brown tint after 45 minutes @300 degrees C.

That’s very disappointing! :frowning_face:

Are you going to try something else now?

I was thinking of maybe trying to look for the clone. If it’s cheap enough I may get it. Otherwise I think I’ll just forget about it. It’s a nice look but I’m none too disappointed if it didn’t turn out the same.

@flightless22 do you happen to have a link for where you got your ‘green’ one?

You may want to continue to bake it. Looks like it started to change color. It may not turn green, but it still could turn into something even nicer.

It’s an ugly host. I bought it many times because of the mod potential to turn it into something very useful. Making it look good is the last thing I would consider LOL.

1 Thank

I guess I could try longer, I already did this one for 45 minutes though. I previously did bakes of other hosts and most of them only needed 20-25 minutes for there to be significant change in colour. For e.g. my S2+ black:

This one only took about 20 mins iirc and it produced a very nice, almost iridescent bronze sheen.

I guess I could throw the D10 back in since I haven’t put the internals back in, but I somehow doubt extra time is going to make a significant difference, having already gone through 45 minutes at 300°C. I was thinking higher temp maybe, but I only have a little toaster oven and it doesn’t go past 300°C.

1 Thank

I put it in for another +/- 45 mins and it finally started to show some colour. Had to take it out because I actually needed to use the oven :sweat_smile: But some progress at least. I may leave it how it is currently, I don’t fancy it getting too brown.

3 Thanks

That looks good! :+1:

This is interesting, I didn’t know the latest d10’s now have been upgraded to USB-C. That’s pretty neat. Wonder when that happened.

Ask them if its a D10 or a new downgraded H10 model

I bought the new batch and although it’s not at the H10 level, the cost down is obvious. I’m a bit disappointed really. The shell is even thinner and the button is very hard to press. The anodization seems lower quality, with shiny finish rather than matt. The head band clip is a bit more flimsy compared to the old version. The driver is completely different construction, although still using 2 PCBs. And yes it is USB-C. The firmware behavior is tiny bit different, it’s hard to describe. The delay of mode changing when holding is longer and there is also a noticeable delay between clicking of the button and the light turning on. The firmware is basically a new one mimicking the old behavior. Anyway I bought 2 of those with the intention of doing a Convoy S21E driver + XHP50.3 HI mod so the driver change doesn’t really bother me. The power button is still held by a metal retaining ring with reverse thread, luckily. Unlike the H25L where the driver is held down by a one-time use plastic insert which I had to destroy to disassemble. I will upload some photo after completely disassembling this new batch D10.

I’d say if you buy it to mod, it’s still a good host. Unlike the H25 which has ZERO modding ability. I bought an H25LR and regretted immensely. The only valuable part in that light is the SST20-DR emitter. Everything else is complete garbage.

1 Thank

Wouldn’t doubt it’s the cheaper one. Well , no wonder they put the price down.

Yeah I’m probably still going to get a couple just to do some more modding. Will try and compare them if I do get them.

2 Thanks

‘New’ D10 came in - some photos as I was tearing it down:

D10 weight comparison
Stripped down to host only - new D10 is 0.6 grams lighter compared to my old model. In the hand it’s not really noticeable. If anyone else is stripping down their D10 for whatever reason, feel free to chime in with your details if you can weight it. I wonder if the weight difference is normal amongst all D10’s.

On my new copy of D10, there is one edge of the host that is noticeably thinner. That’s quite bad. Not sure if it was just a bad copy I received. The old one is relatively uniform all the way round.

I don’t know much about the intricacies of drivers so those smarter can tell us what these parts are.

I can corroborate @FunkyRider86 's comments on the firmware - it’s noticeably different (read: worse). The overall UI is the same but everything is slower. Holding down needs at least a second to change modes - button click also has a delay. Very bad. If I wasn’t buying this with the intention to mod it, I would be pissed off at the change in UI. The delay is very annoying, bad, especially when compared side-by-side to the older firmware.

The rubber boot itself is quite a bit thicker and seems like it would last better.

2 Thanks

Anyway, looks like zero impact on modding. Plus USB-C.

1 Thank

Yes, basically no difference if you intend to change the driver anyway.

I recently bought one of these from Wurkkos for something in the 12 dollar range as a cheap headlamp to wear while working on my car. I was pleasantly surprised by how nice it was for being that cheap. And mine has the USB-C charging on it.

The one i bought last month (march) is like yours. I have a similar D10 Boruit i got from AE in 2020 or 2021 and the quality on that is better, but not as good as the ‘slonik’ D10 I got off Amazon in 2019. This new one had all sorts or sharp edges where they didn’t bother to chamfer the heatsink fins and grooves hear the bezel. I had to file them with a needle file. Also the battery tube edge was sharp on one side due to it being undercut or overbored. For $13 shipped, not a bad deal, but not a great ine one either. $12 in mod parts (Convoy E21A boost driver and 5000k xhp50.3 HI) with a 18650GA and now it’s a pretty nice headlamp with USB C charging no less for way cheaper than a comparable model from the big brands.

I made the same combo (b35am driver). The center of the hotspot has a green area that I only notice on a white wall. Does yours do that too?

No I don’t notice anything, but that’s to say its not there. It could be the gasket for the reflector, maybe the height is off? Could also be the LED.