BTU Shocker - dead and gone ?

Is the TK70 also a prime candidate for a future mod?

I feel a lot of people (like me) still want a shocker, but they are a bit pricey and hard to find. When they do come up for sale, they usually go fairly fast.

The Shocker is a classic, keep it if you have one.

I don't have a TK70, but from what I have seen here, it looks like it's a decent lump of metal, & the driver can be resistor modded pretty easy.

There are still some lights available with a similar head to the Shocker/TK70, such as the Tangsfire TS-3T6.

Here is a comparison of the Tangsfire/Lustefire to the TK70. Also thought they were about the same but the TK70 is much larger with a much larger head. The Tangsfire/Lustefire is sort of a mini TK70.

I just moded a shocker host a month ago and have an original unmodded one waiting in the wings. Just trying to figure something different to do with it.

I’ve got a stock one. It’s not a bad light, just not what it was hyped up to be. It’s also not a convient light to use with it’s size and weight plus a tail-switch. The Fenix TK75 is just a much nicer light to use if you want a big tripple. @Southland, is the head of the TK70 bigger than the BTU? From pictures I always assumed they were the same?

Same size, didn’t remove reflectors from lights but on the outside measurements they are within a millimeter or so of each other. Think the Shocker is a copy of the TK70 head but made to run on 18650 instead of D batteries.

I have the Tom E. version being delivered to my place of residence by next Monday.

Yea, that too...

I was buying the hosts from RIC for as low as $65 - some other BLF'ers got that price as well. It's not a bad price considering. The #'s I got from the thing blew me away! But that was in the days of 6+ amps from U2 1A's dedomed. I only recently seen a higher throw # measured on my light meter, and that was from the modded BOSS1.

I still wish I kept one, but every time I bought one for me, it wound up getting promised to someone Frown. Almost every one I did though was somewhat unique, little more tweaks, little more knowledge gained with each piece.

I have sent Ric several emails in the last months about getting the Shocker either as host or complete light -he did not answer any of the emails I sent to his 3 addresses.

Perhaps if anyone here manages to contact him, we can do a group buy for the shocker. I’m sure a lot of people are still interested in it.

The Fenix TK70 is a great workhorse with fantastic ergonomics and still relevant after a small mod. I reflowed the XM-L’s for some XM-L2’s, and it really brought new life back into the light. I run mine on 2 x unprotected TF32650 by removing the extension tube, which actually gives more run time than 4 x 8,000 mah D nimh cells. Its also less weight and 1 cell shorter without the extension tube. To fit the 32650’s, I modded an old style D maglite tail spring (the type with the cross bar at the big end) and soldered a copper disk to the + side and added a wire spring bypass. This takes up the extra space in the cell tube to maintain proper compression on the 32650 cells. So now, the stock tail spring presses on the Mag spring adapter and works perfectly. If I want to run nimh, all I have to do is remove the Mag spring and screw the adapter back on.

While I dont recommend this trick to those who dont want to risk their TK70 driver, 3 x 32650 will launch the driver into DD and delivered over 6A to the stock emitters. Others have done this as well; without the magic smoke, but we only get high mode in this config. I havent tried this after the XM-L2 swap, because Ive decided to be kind to the awesome stock boost driver and keep using it for its versatility. I have 2 extra extension tubes for 4 x 32650’s in case I ever decide to replace the driver for a Taskled H6Flex buck driver.

Its funny how many people scoffed at the Shocker when it first came out. Now its probably one of the best mod host available for high powered multi emitter builds.

I just sold my last modded BTU shocker and only have 2 stock ones left in their boxes. What to do next… :bigsmile:

The main problem with the shocker for today’s modding is the power supply. It needs an extension.

I have two BTU Shockers that I got kinda late in the game. I got em with parts missing and even had to make some parts, but the reflectors were there as was the glass.
One of them is now a Triple XHP-70 with dual battery carriers… one allows using 2 18650’s and the other is set up to run 6 18350’s. With the 6 half cells it pulls 14,455 lumens. I wasn’t pleased with the beam profile from the multi-die emitters in mirror finished reflector cups, so I put individual TIR optics in each one (glued the optic into the reflector cup with NOA61). Beam is nice, no artifacts, and it does the 14,455 through these optics, so all is well. I ran it very briefly on 3 18650’s and saw 20,000 lumens, but the copper traces vaporized on the battery carrier and I haven’t tried it again since I rebuilt them.

The other has 3 of the 9V MT-G2’s in it, with the battery carrier working as normal…3 series 18650’s. It does right at 10,000 lumens.

I’ve thought about selling the XHP-70 one, but just haven’t. Love the MT-G2 variant.

I tried to convince Ric to offer the extension kit with tube and carrier, but he never bought into it. He also mentioned that there would be a SuperShocker, but that also never came to fruition.

Well if anybody is looking to sell one for a payment of gratitude, I’m your guy :wink:

So it’s still revered ? Good to know. It sounds like there are some hidden away for a rainy day in BLF land. An extension would def be awesome. Some of you peeps must have the skills/equipment to make one ?

I have a Tom-E modded BTU Shocker, still one of my faves. I may do some further modding on it, may try the newer XP-L HI emitters in it, and work its internals to get more throw. Its a beast of a light, a massive hunk of metal for heat dissipation, and i like the short designed lights like the BTU.

Ummmm. Jeepers. That’s a lot of light. I want it. :expressionless: