Budget Deals. X8 clone $15 (got it today)

…oh god please let the one I ordered have the larger driver cavity…. :open_mouth:

I still had to sand the DRY driver a tiny bit. Once it is in, there should be no issues with ground ring contact.
Hopefully the lower priced ones have the good pill. If they do, I might just grab another one.

Well I got a shipping notification and a tracking number, hopefully it gets here quick.

Yep got my shipping notice too. A couple weeks would be my guess.

Received my Ultrafire X8 today. It's what they said it would be and the driver size does fit the DRY driver but what a small pill compared to the last clone I had. It will work but it's rather pathetic compared with a good X8. The reflector is also junk compared with the last one. It's not that deep and it's plastic. On the plus side it came with a XML-U2. I'm not impressed but not terribly disappointed either. You get what you pay for I guess. I wouldn't have minded the not overly powerful driver but the pill size was disappointing.

Was this the pill that you guys had to work with in your mods?

One more thing, for anyone who buys this and doesn’t plan to mod it. There is Zero thermal paste under the star. None so even if you don’t mod it at least take it apart and put something under there.

Should be any day now - will update with pill specs.

18sixfifty, was that the $15 one? The pill on mine ($21 from eBay) was a bit bigger and the reflector was very deep and aluminum. The pill screws into the reflector and the reflector screws into the head.

Mine was from ali-express. Your’s is like the one I had before.

Mine has been changed a bit since I went with the MT-G2/DRY driver. I took the driver out and replaced it with a contact plate. One mode, 7A+ on Pana PDs. :open_mouth:
Well north of 2600 lumens at the start, and I stopped a ~10 minute run at 75C head temperature (only the tailcap was holdable) and it was still putting out over 2000 lumens! These MT-G2 emitters sure are tough.
Practical? Maybe not. Fun? Definitely. :smiley: :beer:
Edit: 18sixfifty, don’t try this with your plastic reflector’d X8 clone :wink:

It actually wasn’t plastic after all, just very thin aluminum and some kind of thin coating. It already has a MT-G2/DRY in it. Just took a while for the epoxy to dry. I took it out for a short walk and it didn’t seem to get as hot as yours. It seems to be close in lumens to a SRK. I’m a little worried that it’s not transferring heat very well, but it doesn’t seem to bother the emitter any. Just that thermal sag that comes on after a few but still tons of lumens in a small package.

This will be my last MT-G2 mod for a while. They are cool and all but just not really for me. It takes too much power to drive them correctly they get too hot and the area of the emitter being so large means that the actual intensity isn’t high enough for great throw. They are good for a floody mid range light that’s about it as far as I can tell. Too hot for a small light and no point in trying to make them into a thrower.

The DRY will push it to about 4.5A, so it should not get as hot as my piece-o-wire driver :slight_smile:
I agree that the MT-G2 is a decent flooder emitter, especially in smaller hosts like this. There are exceptions though, like the SF S2200 which appears to get a decent amount of throw out of that emitter. The S1100 modded (like comfy did) might even do better with the SMO reflector.
My UF T90 didn’t do it for me with only 50kcd and the same lumens as the ZY-T08 MT-G2. Didn’t make sense to keep both so the T90 is now a WIP super thrower (running into frustrating problems there with the emitter, might be damaged somehow, taking a little break from it).

Well I got mine today. Crappy 5 mode next mode memory driver.

Still waiting on my MT-G2 and 5A driver. I decided to work with the stock driver and U2 marked XML.

Stock driver pulls ~.87 amps from 2x TF 18650’s
Resistor R0 - I added 3x .5 Ohm resistors to it (only SMD’s I had). Now it pulls 1.67 amps from two batteries.

I also converted it to high only by shorting the cap that is in the middle of the board. Used pencil lead on it and now it is only high.

EDIT: The stock LED centering piece sucks. Keeps the LED really low, but it does have a nice beam. Putting a thinner centering ring gave me 25% more on a ceiling bounce test, though now the beam has an uglyish wide second hot spot. Will have try to focus it better.

I wanted to make an additional update……

The stock driver is now a 5 mode with off no mode memory. Meaning, if it is off, it starts in high. If it is on and a tap the button, it goes to the next mode. I never have to see blinkies if I don’t want to.

I have now added 5 (!) .5R 0805 resistors to the one labeled R0. Tail cap current is 2.42 amps, compared to stock of .87

I also found a better centering ring, and put in a KD XML2 U2 on sinkpad that I had lying around. Not sure if it is an actual U2, but it was measurably brighter than the stock XML U2.

Light output on high is a tad higher than my L2T XML2 U2 with 4.4A KD 3040 driver using 18650 PD and copper braid on the springs.

If the KD U2 is actually a U2, this makes me think that the stock driver is about 80% efficient and this drive current, which is way over spec :stuck_out_tongue:

I am tempted to add one more resistor and see what happens………however the first few resistors I added bumped current around .3 amps, this last one added ~.4, so I think I nearing the most this stock driver can take………luckily I have a spare identical driver that came in my UF X6S :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT: added one more .5R for a total of 6 stacked :stuck_out_tongue: tailcap current is 2.67. Output went up about 5% from the 2.42 draw. Think the driver is getting less efficient……

…& it’s a POS.

Let me elaborate;

The pill, although threaded externally, does not screw into the head. The inside of the head is also threaded, but the pill is about 10mm smaller than the inside of the head, so it’s just jammed in there by the reflector & bezel - basically ZERO heat transfer to the head…. It’s as if they have used the wrong pill for this head.

After I removed the blood from it, which it shipped with,

I stripped it down for some measurements;

Alloy reflector is nice & blemish-free; 38mm ID, 41mm OD, 41mm tall, 10mm orifice.

With basically no heat-sinking available, this thing is useless as delivered. Be warned….

Just to confirm, it was this one that I bought.

…edit…

Going over Relic’s pics, it looks like I have the same pill, but a different reflector (you can see my reflector in the background of my first picture).

That is a bummer. Looks like they ran out of the good reflectors so the improvised. The blood on the bezel is kind of creepy too.

I have an AlliExpress one on the way......I wonder how I can get out of paying for it...

Return to sender, don’t take delivery. Mine from Ali-express isn’t great but it actually made for a nice mod. It’s not as nice as the last one I had but it works just fine. For better heat sinking I used a modified tinfoil tech.

Ok If it and be "fixed" easily Ill keep it. I might use it as a "cadaver" to practice on.