Budget Deals. X8 clone $15 (got it today)

The first is a picture of this Cadaver with a DRY driver and a MT-G2 in it. The second is a very good SRK the original FandyFire one from Fast Tech.

Not bad for a small light like this.

Hmm . . . you've got interested in this mod, but how can one be sure to get an X8 with a good pill?

-Garry

The best one that I had was the one I gave away for my 1,000th post. I bought that one from Aurabuy when Kevin was around. He gave me a code on it that brought it down to decent price now it’s more than that. So you could contact their new rep and see what she will sell it for.

http://www.aurabuy.com/uniquefire-uf-x8-cree-t6-led-1000-lumens-5-mode-flashlight-torch-black-2-18650.html

To be perfectly honest though I think you would almost have to ask them to inspect it before shipping. I think these are a lot like the SK68 clones. They ship what they ship.

What about using a Small Sun ZY-T13 (or even T16 for 26650 capability) for an MT-G2 host? It's got a bigger head too. And I believe you could just resistor mod the original driver for more output (I think that will work for an MT-G2 - I'm thinking relic did it with his ZY-T08 MT-G2)? I have a ZY-T13 that I had planned to mod somehow. Is the pill in a ZY-T13 like the T08?

-Garry

Return to sender ain’t really ethical.

More ethical than taking it and trying not to pay for it.

How can you not take a USPS delivery?
What’s the procedure to return to sender?

You don’t open it and write “return to sender” on it and put it back in the mailbox. Then you do a charge back with your credit card. Although I agree it’s not ethical unless you feel that the ad was fraud. I sold thousands of guitars and other musical instruments on-line. it used to tick me off when people would do it. But it was better than the ones who would take delivery mess with it, brake strings dent it up and then send it back. Or demand partial refunds etc. I offered a 30 day no questions asked refund (minus shipping). This way people didn’t feel the need to break something so they would have an excuse to send it back. (yes people would do that) I made it clear that for any reason they could return it but they had to pay their own shipping. This helped weed out some of the people who simply wanted to play with a guitar and see if they liked it.

If you feel that the ad was fraudulent don’t take the shipment. I don’t think it was fraud though. Just a cheap product that wasn’t as good as I expected. I did however, have no problem making mine work. It’s a fifteen dollar host that came with a U2 emitter, that costs about $5 right there.

I dunno what the T13 pill looks like (don’t have one), but this host has intrigued me as an MT-G2 option ever since I did the T08 (it has since been rebuilt with a DRY driver and Noctigon).
I expect the T13 would be an easier mod than the T08 because the cells are already serial.

If someone that has a T13 can take a pic of the pill and emitter end of the reflector, it will help determine this viability. I suppose there is a review somewhere with pics already but that search button is all the way up there… :wink:

I have a T13 and a T16, when I find the USB cord for my phone I’ll post pics.

The stock pill on the T16 I believe is too shallow to use a decent driver. Stock driver with some resistors is pulling 2.3 amps w/ 2x 26650’s through an XML2 U2 1C. I really like the beam profile, its also as bright as any of my single led lights. Any more resistors added seems to short something and light disappears while drawing a LOT of current.

Stock pill on the T13 is deeper, and is also easy to resistor mod. I have a dedomed XP-G2 in that one pulling 2.2 amps.

My guess is both stock drivers will driver an MT-G2 just fine, as well as the stock driver on this X8 clone.

I’m gonna go start taking pics and I’ll start a new thread once they are hosted comparing the three hosts.

Thanks bdiddle! Yeah I searched for pics of the T13 pill and only found AlexGT's mod thread with some pics but not a good pill pic (unless there is one posted in one of the comments that I missed). Shame about that T16 pill as I thought that would make for a nice MT-G2 host being 26650 sized! Well I guess you'd just be stuck with a resistor modded stock driver. If you could feed 4.6A (2.3A x 2) to an XM-L, what do you think it would feed to an MT-G2? Would it be nearly the same? Or considerably different?

-Garry

Stock drivers do not perform well on MT-G2’s which are 6 volt. Running a DRY driver which is meant to run 3XML’s does the trick but even then it could be driven harder. There isn’t that much heat sinking in the small sun T13 and the larger reflector doesn’t seem to make a drastic difference in throw. It would work but it’s not going to be any better than this mod. At least I doubt that it will. In my opinion MT-G2’s are good for flood not throw at best you will get a medium range flooder. On the other hand a De-Domed XP-G2 in a T13 is a great combination if you like a pencil thin beam and ton of throw. I don’t so I sold mine.

I'm a flood man myself. I love the idea of an MT-G2 flooder. I also thought the ZY-T13 would be a better guarantee of better heatsinking.

-Garry

Here is a pic from RaceR86 (from the mod thread here):

Seems the "pill" is integrated into the head.

Sorry, I've taken this thread off-topic.

-Garry

I think the reflector is the same in both the T08 and T13. They appear to be on casual observation. The beam profiles seem identical.

Thanks for the pics 18sixfifty. That is a lot of light in a small package. I may have to build one. Much more pocketable than a SRK and better tint/cri.

I posted some pics here of the T13, T15, and my X8 purchased from the link in the first post. My X8 pill looks different than FMC’s posted above.

The T13 pill is integrated, and a side-clicky in there too. The DRY doesn’t need a lot of room, it might work. IF the pill will take a 21mm driver. as an 18650 light, this may not be the case. A pic of the driver end, and up inside would give an idea.
IMO, the MT-G2 works well in the T08 reflector. More throw and wider spill than the UltraFire X8 clone (it has a narrow, deep reflector). It’s shorter and offers better heatsinking too.
Both builds are good, but my nod goes to the T08, if you have to choose.

What about CNQG's X8 host? $19 (+shipping). Is this a better guarantee of the better pill?

-Garry

There you go! That’s the one I would buy and you can always ask Ric and make sure it comes as pictured.

This looks like the ‘good’ reflector.