Budget thrower advice

IMHO… no way to get 2300 Lumens… If you mean 1300 lumens… then yes.

1300meters would 422KCD. Simon’s 1190 meters would 354KCD

I thought the same thing, and i don’t have it yet to make any claims. and honestly have no way to measure it. But i did get that lumen count from a VERY reputable source.

Who is that VERY reputable source… I’m very interested.

Why did you choose the red?

1500 lumen quoted here. Not sure I’d believe claims of 2300, even if that was as the LED and not OTF.

I got red for hunting.

2300, 1300, 1500… ?!?

What to believe…

I saw it mentioned once on here which surprises me, the ThruNite Catapult is great for a budget thrower. Comes with a 26650 and built in charging for around $65. I do have a K1 on the way and might not use the Catapult after it gets here but it was $40 more plus it’s been three weeks and it still hasn’t even shipped.

saw some comparison video, ft03 seems to throw a tiny bit better than the v6, but thats just one video, i believe they are on par more or less, but ft03 is much cheaper

Just a quick update - I pulled the trigger on the K1 and I’m really pleased I did. If budget were no issue I’d have seriously considered an LEP, but there’s a lot of throw for a not-unreasonable amount of money with the K1. It feels quality, the form factor is good, and despite the (naturally) oversized head I was holding it for a couple of hours the other day and it remained comfortable to use throughout. It seems very well put together, and between the bezel and the coloured switch it’s very easy on the eye. No sharp edges or rough spots. Obviously it cost more than the Convoy equivalent but in build quality I can see where that money is going.

Performance wise, I can’t confidently say how far it’ll throw in real terms as the only time I’ve taken it out in anger was looking for wildlife - mostly rabbits, small deer, foxes etc. It was picking out animals at distances that were too far to be sure whether they were rabbits or deer (the limitation being the distance and my eyesight, not the amount of throw) - so I can safely say it meets my requirements. Quite a few occasions where I could just see green eyes pointing back but no idea what they belonged to. I did point it at a few distant treelines but there wasn’t much distance to test it out on due to the landscape…400m didn’t trouble it though. When the opportunity presents I’m planning to get out and shine it at some buildings from a decent distance that I can plot on a map and get a feel for it’s potential.
Truly impressed by the whole package though.

I also bit the bullet on a D4V2 for very different reasons, and have fallen totally in love with that for very different reasons. Both of the lights just ooze quality though. Don’t get me wrong, I really rate the functionality of my Convoy/Nitecore/Skillhunt lights, but the light’s I’ve had from Hank just seem a bit classier and better put together. Not that I’m blind to others who’ve had less positive experiences, but so far mine have been excellent. Really pleased with both purchases.

so the almost doubled price is worth the quality difference?

The build quality isn’t the only difference. The performance is almost certainly going to be different, judging by the numbers alone. How much of a difference that makes in real terms is something no-one here has an answer to - until someone does some back to back measurements and comparisons. Either way, the nagging doubt on how much I’d be missing out on if I’d stretched just beyond my original budget isn’t something I’m going to have to worry about. The L21A was under my budget, the K1 just over - I’m happy with how I’ve spent my money. YMMV.

hm…well i dont really have a set budget, well i guess its $100 cuz of k1, LOL, but im just getting it cuz its a dedicated thrower, which to me has no real life use, its really just a fancy toy, and i actually dont mind the tail switch at all, so if it can throw about the same as k1, at least to the human naked eye, then i think im ok spending half the budget. of course that is assuming im not compromising on the build quality etc.

Thanks for the update!

How are you finding the K1 in terms of runtime and portability?

Are you using it as a spotlight by hand or do you also try to have it mounted?

Early days, when I took it out the other night I didn’t keep it running (or I’d ramp it down low, then hit turbo as required) so I can’t really say. Next time I’ll try and keep an eye to runtime and charge the cell seperately rather than via USB-C so I can get an idea of how much was used.
It’s very portable, I didn’t notice any real difference between that and my C8 whilst hand holding in use, but I’m tempted by the idea of mounting it and a set of binoculars on a tripod to get the most out of it. If I can cheaply rig something Swiss-Arca compatible together (which I think I can) it could be feasible to use it with my camera tripod, I’ve just not sat down and worked out how yet.

I think the throw rating are grossly overrated . I can’t throw any of my flashlights as far as they claim

:person_facepalming: :smiley:

When i started this whole high powered flashlight adventure, Thrunite TC20 and V6 were at the top of my list. The price kept me from ever buying them, and shortly afterwards (before i ever bought them) i discovered emisar D4sV2 (in place of tc20) and Astrolux FT03 xhp50 (in place of V6). I still love my other thrunite’s, great lights - BUT, i have never looked back with regret not getting the V6. they seem to be very close in specs (especially) with internal charging etc. But approx. 50% price difference as you have stated. I have a buddy who has the V6, and its cool but ill stick with my FT03 - i bought the xhp50 and sst40 together (waiting for sales) for the same price as the V6 alone, roughly.

ya v6 just went on sale on amazon, so i bought one to check it out and compare with my ft03, just to confirm my suspicion.