Bulb paint to increase colour temp

I want some paint that is used to raise the colour temperature of incandscent bulbs, it looks blue but the bulb will shine whiter than incandescent, just dont know what its called :roll_eyes: any ideas anyone?

i dunno but that is going to be inefficient

all it does is waste the bluish light and that heats the paint

plus if you paint an LED its beam will become much fuzzier and floody

wle

1 Thank

Yeah I know but I still want some, just no idea what to seach for, always get just normal blue bulb paint.

Gonna have to be high heat or it will stink all to crap. I once had a buddy back in the 90s try to paint some car bulbs, the paint burnt, and ruined the housings.

1 Thank

Surely it’s easier to just buy some cheap warmer led bulbs? they are cheap as chips nowadays and come in a range of temperatures to suit your needs?.

1 Thank

I know all of this but still want some, whats it called? :smile:

Light bulb dipping paint?

Yup I have searched for that but all I ever get is coloured paint, nothing that specifically states anything about colour temperature, I know it exists because you can buy bulbs already coated, just cant find the paint.

Is this the sort of thing you mean? I couldn’t find anything with a specific coulour in Kelvin though, maybe it’s something you have to experiment with to get the colour you want by mixing them.

PEBEO - Transparent Glass Paint Vitrea 160°C - Sun Yellow - 45 ML

I had loads of things come up when I googled - ‘light bulb paint’ but nothing exactly matching your needs

Yeah just coloured paints is all I get, googled all sorts of variations but nothing.

You don’t want to do this. There isn’t a name for this paint because this paint doesn’t exist. The filament in an incandescent bulb is literally thousands of degrees. Youre painting a layer of insulation over it and trapping that heat inside. It’s just going to make a lot of bad smells and start a fire.

There is glass paint but its meant for windows and crafts, it can’t handle the heat, it would just burn. There’s high temp enamel and ceramic paints that could handle the heat, but then the bulb will just burn.

Either way it’s going to be very smelly and slightly smoky.

2 Thanks

Definitely exist as you can buy bulbs pre coated 2x Xenon White T10 501 W5W Sidelight Bulbs UK halogen bulb upgrade | eBay I have some, yes they are not as bright but definitely produce a nice white light, not the dull yellow of uncoated.

https://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/blue/bad/bad.html

I don’t understand why you don’t just buy these ones if they’re what you want??

Is it domestic lighting or are you trying to make your car more chavvy?

If domestic, just get LED bulbs in your choice of CCT…?

1 Thank

The why is not really relevant, just asking if anyone knows.

If you tell people the intended outcome, you’ll likely get some better solutions as there’s some context for people to consider.

Unless you have evidence otherwise, I suspect the coating isn’t a paint per say, but a glass coating that may even need to be fired during the manufacturing of the bulbs…

Why not just buy the blue bulbs you linked…?

You can also look at Studio lighting gels. They probably will melt in direct contact with the bulb so you need to put them on the housing.

If your intended use is automotive, and you’ve a popular make/model of car, there are probably certified aftermarket lamps you could use.

Or just do what all the boy racers do and get crap dazzling LED/Halogen replacement bulbs that are completely unsutible for road use :roll_eyes:

3 Thanks

That would make sense actually, dont really have an intended outcome, I just have too much time on my hands, get curious and need to play, I have found photographic gel plates might have a play with those :slight_smile:
Thanks all

3 Thanks

That’s not light bulb paint.

i just saw that you apparently want to make warm LEDs [which are usually expensive] more blue[which is usually cheaper]

why not just get cheap ones ?

or add a blue glass/plastic filter as the ‘‘crystal’’/lens

or paint that - the glass crystal thingy–that way it would not get hot

if you use transparent stuff [tape?], it would also retain the focus and not get all floody

Not sure what that blue coating is but it’s hard to remove.
Had some coleman blue tinted flashlight bulbs with it and it was even hard to remove with carb cleaner.