C8 addicts thread

Hey folks, back on page 3 I received some advice and tackled my first build, a convoy host w/ XM-L2 U2 @ 3.04A single mode and I couldn’t be happier. Now I’ve got the parts under the xmas tree for my second but I don’t have the drive current or emitter picked out just yet and I’m looking for advice…

I’m wanting a super thrower, don’t care about total lumen output. Last time an XP-E2 was only available bare, now I can order one on a 16mm Noctigon, I’m wondering what the max drive current is (or atleast what’s high enough to get the best throw possible)?

Also I see deeper reflectors are now available, should I go that route or stick with a standard SMO (btw if you remember me I was looking at a SMO last time but decided to go with the OP and couldn’t imagine a better setup!)

There are deeper reflectors, but only the 42w x 31d will fit in a normal C8.

This one uses a deeper reflector, 42 x 41: http://www.fasttech.com/products/1206303

In the standard C8 format, the best reflector is the 42x31 XR-E reflector that comes in the cheapest C8s anyway. The XML-specific reflectors aren't as good, the beam is ringy and just generally ugly.

Here's a dedomed XML2 in the XRE reflector:

The difference between XP-G2 and XP-E2 is not that great :

XP-G2 : Lux-RC Labs - Products - Artifact Flashlight - Artifact 2023 - On Sale
XP-E2 : Lux-RC Labs - Products - Artifact Flashlight - Artifact 2023 - On Sale

Hey guys just finished my new build and I was looking for some lumen/lux estimations based on spec’s. Thanks in advance for your calculations…

Convoy C8 host, OP reflector, AR lens.
XM-L2 U2 1D on Noctigon
Direct driven- 3.34A @ tail cap
22AWG teflon wires, copper braid on both springs.

Also may be important, I used Kapton tape as an insulator instead of the white centering ring.

Here is one calculator but you can go only up to 3000mA…

3.34A is roughly 1200-1250 lumens.

I’m trying to decide which parts to get. Firstly, the C8 host. Three look promising:

• XinTD C8 ($30-ish): great host / reflector(?) / driver, might only need emitter swap?
  • Convoy C8 (currently $14 at banggood): needs a new reflector, has a weird pill?, available in host-only form
  • Ultrafire XR-E C8 $13: good reflector, stainless steel bezel

The goal is to put in a de-domed XP-G2 on a noctigon, running at 3A or perhaps 4A. Maybe a Qlite driver. I’m hoping for 100k cd or higher (so, at least slightly more throw than a stock Fenix TK75), with a tight beam and only minimal spill. I’m also more concerned about the ease of modding (since this is my first) and quality of the end result and less concerned about the price of the parts.

Any thoughts about which host would be the best starting point?

Also, is it at all reasonable to get the emitter already on a MCPCB and de-dome it without un-soldering first? I’ve never done a reflow.

Be warned - those have changed recently, apparently. I got one a while back that used standard C8 pill, but Tom E got one not long ago that was different.

Fundamentally different items sold under the same SKU, ain't it great? xD

Yes - the $13 SS bezel, XR-E C8 is not standard C8 pill/threads. I bought 2, built both up with full blown XM-L2 U2 domed at 3.5A, and they came out great! My cousin and brother-n-law have them now - xmas gifts, with a pair of Pana PF's, a NiteCore 2 bay charger, holster. One came with a pretty bad scratch in the reflector, so replaced with an XML one - that one had little higher lumens, less throw. The XR-E stock reflector throws great though - best I've seen in a C8. I want to buy a couple more of these C8's. More work involved because I'll add copper in the pill, but so cheap for a quality C8 host.

The replacement XR-E reflectors are identical to that one, they're a direct swap to other 31mm-tall reflector C8s. They seem to need a pretty thick spacer (around .060" I think?) so it's not much trouble to get enough clearance even with a 16mm board.

Here's the pill from the $6 no-name C8 host (http://www.fasttech.com/products/1562700)

Standard C8 thread, the emitter surface is the same height as the standard pill in relation to the underside of the flange.

The light comes with a plastic reflector but it's the same geometry as the XR-E ones, and gives the same beam profile.

comfy - think that's good news then? So you think it's all true classic C8 size in terms of threading, star/emitter height, and driver vertical positioning?

Not sure from your pics, but thinking the C8 pill from this no-name C8 host is the one on the right? If so, looks like it's made for 16 mm stars? If so, then that's the only thing non-standard, but not a problem if you are going to replace it with a brass or copper one anyway.

Nope, the new pill is the one on the left - 20mm star, 20mm driver. Tube/head/bezel/tailcap/pill interchanges with all the other standard C8s I have. The empty brass pills will fit the light, if the 20mm driver part isn't needed.

Ok - all good! Gotta be in my next FT order, but looks like they stopped shipping til Feb 10th - weird...

Thanks comfy, once again!

Oh, and don't bother with their "C8 extensions", they don't fit anything. Right thread diameter, wrong thread pitch.

It is due to Chinese New Year holidays.

Yes - Jan 25th to Feb 4th says their site, still doesn't explain yesterday thru the 10th, and Jan 20th was the last New Arrivals update. SlowwwwTech...

Tom,
You gotta account for the massive Hangover:0)
Those Chinese do now how to celebrate their holidays.

And, being that their site is still open, lot’s of people will order stuff while they are away, so it is not surprising that it will take them a few days to get back to square one.

I think they stopped listing new arrivals so there wouldn’t be more of a mess.
All of this is just my theory, other theories will probably do better at the box office.

Later,
Keith

Keith: +1 - you are probably right, for sure. We do keep them busy, at least that's what my PayPal account shows...

I just saw the date shown in Fasttech website and I have no idea with that. As I know many Chinese people have departed to their hometown now. Even Cherry from Wallbuys told me she went back in last two days so no more order will be processed until then. I guess the public transportation tickets are so hard to get and they have to go home earlier.

Another possibility is that Jan 25, 2014 to Feb 4, 2014 might be the “official” holidays period stated by Fasttech to their employees, however many employees apply extra leaves (using their own annual leaves) with their superiors so that they can spend more time at home during Chinese New Year. I don’t know at least this is very common in my country, anyway it’s just a guess.

EDIT: They have this schedule here but I’m not sure if this explains anything.