Can someone provide a short summary of current Panasonic (+other brands) 18650 battery codes ? (yes, crx made one, #8)

I could not find it anywhere, not on BLF or the Panasonic site. There is a battery reference guide on BLF, but it is too extended, has not much chemistry information, and the newest batteries are not there.

I would like a short reference table, just with: code (e.g. CGR18650CG), capacity (e.g. 2200mAh), chemistry (e.g. IMR/LiMnO2), user remarks (e.g. safer chemistry than xxx, or: also available with higher capacity, or: xxx-company makes a Seiko protected button top rebrand of this battery).

Is this to be found anywhere, or is there someone out here at BLF who is into this and who would like to make a short table like that? It makes sense to extend this with other quality brands (Samsung, LG, Sanyo, Sony) but I am already happy if it is limited to Panasonic.

This would be nice. Particularly interested in chemistry as many now seem to use hybrids that aren’t straight up LiCo or LiMn. LiNiMnCoO2 or something more? I’ve seen some panasonic chemistries mentioned here & there. Don’t know how reliable the info is tho. Manufacturer recommended charge current might be good. I believe it isn’t the same for all panasonics. Many Seiko protected 3400s available. Would you want just the least expensive?

Something to start with.
—————————————————

• Panasonic - (commonly seen cells)
    cc=charge current, dc=max recommend discharge current, Date codes

3600mAh NCR18650G
3400mAh NCR18650B - specs cc:0.5C max0.7C
3100mAh NCR18650A - specs
2900mAh NCR18650PF - LiMn hybrid specs datasheet cc:0.5C, dc:10A
2250mAh CGR18650CH - LiMn (pure?) datasheet cc:0.7C, dc:10A
2250mAh CGR18650CG - LiCo ? datasheet cc:0.7C
Other current Panasonic cells

Thanks sofar, Helios.

Expensive or cheap, it is those secret codes that I would like to have solved.

The question arised because of a couple of light green CGR18650CG's that I have, the code is almost the same as the grey CGR18650CH battery (these are IMR), but are these light green ones also IMR batteries? I don't know, and can not find it easily.

I believe CGR is suppose to be used for LiMn. NCR for LiCo or versions / hybrids of LiCo at higher capacities. Hard to know for sure because I don’t think panasonic says offically.

On forums I see people saying CGR18650CG is LiCo.

Thinking about a concise 18650 reference guide, it would be helpful if it had a 'current draw' column as well, one figure that says something about the maximum current draw. Something like: the maximum current that the battery can deliver after 3 minutes that keeps the voltage over 3.6V.

But then, this would be more and more like the comparison options that HKJ has on his website...

I'm not equipped to check voltage under load, but if I understand you correctly, that'd be roughly equivalent to 20C which is pushing it even with IMR cells. So I suspect I don't understand.

2C for LiCo is the usual conventional figure given though I've drawn tens of C from rubbish 16340s before I knew any better. Quite a few of them leaked but none of them did anything more energetic.

I started to do this with the intention of breaking down the color codes around the tops of the sanyos ,color and capacities of samsungs ,lgs and information on the colored wrappers and date codes on the panasonics .

Problem was the info wasn't very concise and was a huge pile of pics and info from BLF threads ....a big mess that I wasn't ever going to be able to clearly lay out for people to easily use .

Most info for the more common newer cells is readily available since sellers have specs on batteries they have for sale .Older cells being a bit more difficult .

I was fearing already that the pile of information could grow bigger and bigger if everything interesting would be included, so that is why the basic question was just about the type codes of the Panasonics currently for sale. I could indeed do some searching on the sellers sites and on HKJ's site for batteries that he has tested, and thusway collect some of the information I am interested in (sure I will), but I hope for a BLF-user who has the information at hand and could make a quick and dirty table, so that a glance is enough for some basic info.

That is a great table in the make, crx :-) , exactly the kind I was looking for. Thanks!

Great table, thank you :wink:

I just bought these from Wallbuys, worth adding?:

Sony US18650VTC4 2100mAh 30A Rechargeable Li-Ion Batteries-Green

I don't know the chemistry though.