Candy colored 501b's

Has the look, but it is is listed as a 5-mode light, so I doubt it. Also in gold or black.

Agree. But I already have too many cool white XM-L drop-ins with blinky modes.

I agree its doubtful, just has the look. Be cool if it was though.

How many Ampere do you measure?

Your blue is a little bit different in the branding (take a look at the a) as JohnnyMac’s. Maybe different companies which produce the flashlights - which is better?

I love the red one, I got to order it. It matches my new car!

Joe C

Yeah, the two are DEFINITELY made at different factories.

I just pulled up both on DX and did a side by side comparison of the photos. They’re certainly different, and to be honest, I couldn’t see any way I liked the lighter blue version better. It looks inferior. I’d buy the one I have over again, plus the blue looks better IMHO anyway.

Unfortunately, I can’t tell you what amperage it pulls with the stock driver, I removed it the day I got it and replaced it with a reprogrammed Nanjg 105c. So mine pulls 2.8 amps now. (I’ve since also replaced the led with a U3)

Because I have an irrational bias against 18650s, but like colored lights (actually, my sons have red and blue ECC gear collections), I was wondering if any of y’all know if those hosts will accept 2xcr123a instead of the 18650? Of course I’d have to switch the drop in also (can always use these in their L2Ms), but will the main tube take two cr123a batteries and can the tail cap/switch handle that as well?

In any event, thanks for posting this up Johnny.

Yeah, I don't see why it would accept a CR123, not sure why you consider them safer though. A cr123 is 16mm diameter and a 18650 is 18mm.

Scaru, its not so much that I consider them safer, I’m just lazy and can’t be bothered with measuring and testing batteries all the time. I get the 123s in bulk and just simplify the whole process. There is a thread somewhere around here that has pictures of everyone’s charging set up. I get dizzy just looking at them.

Diameter aside, if I use one of those plastic sleeves or some other type of shim, would it work?

Link to light that takes both

Yeah, you don't need anything fancy. Just roll up some paper and stick it in there.

If you want a simple set up the I4 is plug and play, I just stick the batteries in and let them charge. It won't charge if they are put in backwards and it always cuts off. I only bother with measuring voltages in multi-celled lights.

And personally if I had to not use a volt meter and just trust that it was ok I would be much more confident with a 18650. The CR123 batteries can come unbalanced and this could easily lead to a reverse charging incident. I know someone on CPF had this happen to them and it was with 2 batteries permanently packed together.

Thanks apt, but, just for my own enlightenment, is the only difference between the light you linked to and the original one Johnnymac linked just the drop in with a greater voltage range? As far as the host is concerned, they are the same, right? I mean, can’t most, if not all 18650 hosts take 2xcr123 while the opposite is not true (i.e. 2xcr123 going to 18650)?

Scaru, I realize that that my way has its own inherent risks, but it provides the illusion of safety. And what more could a cone ask for?

Could you define “permanently packed together”? You mean like shrink wrapped together or something?

Yeah, they came shrink wrapped together. He was just running the flashlight and it dimmed and then exploded.

Ooo 5.0 I’ve got a 5.0, but it’s an old beat up crown vic I bought for $475.

cool

Hey, DX official, you know what would be “cool”? You telling me if the colored lights, with a proper voltage drop in will work with 2X cr123a batteries instead of an 18650?

Yup, that would be “cool”.

Cone, yes they will.

It would be nice if the TS add the golden and the standard black version to the list.
There is also the silver and dark gray version. Did I mention the camouflage type ? :slight_smile:

http://dx.com/p/ultrafire-wf-501b-xm-l-t6-1-mode-700lm-white-led-flashlight-w-strap-1-x-18650-116189?item=15
http://dx.com/p/aluminum-alloy-flashlight-housing-casing-for-ultrafire-wf-501b-grey-154747