COB LED flashlights? discuss, point, recommend, criticize ....

> high end …?
Did you look at the pictures of the flood from that light on the linked page at the Dorcy site?
Their holiday 40%-off price is better than many of the discounts Dorcydirect offers through the year
and their support for the lights they sell is, in my experience, excellent.
I haven’t found that light being sold at any of the usual Chinese sources.

I agree, that looks like a very nice and practical flashlight. I think the 6AA configuration makes it good for non-flashaholics as well.

I bought both of these lights and I will have to say that for the price they can’t be beat! The AA Vibelight really puts out a lot of light and is very well made. I paid about $13 so I didn’t get quite as good of a deal as vwpieces, but it was still $8 less than a Big Larry so good value for the money. I just bought another to give to my sister.

I have found that the AAA light works much better using regular alkaline batteries as opposed to NiMH rechargeables, at least for me. I think the COB just needs the additional voltage. I haven’t done any runtime tests.

I did a run time with Eneloop and cheap Alkalines earlier in the smaller AAA.
Alkalines won by a mile.

https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/40765/65

These small Skywolfeye COB 3X AAA headlamps are neat. Bought a few off ebay auction snipes for less than $2 shipped. Got 2 so far and gave one away already.
See them unbranded too for about the same money. Nice lights, High, Low and slower than strobe blink.

Footprint is small at 60mm L, 45mm W and 30mm tall. I think the AAA stick light is slightly brighter as its more direct drive. I took off the pivoting headband mount off the back and sanded it flat. Glued 2 neodymium magnets to the back. Very useful as a hand light.

Does have awful PWM on LOW

There is only one row of emitters, top and bottom are reflections.

Not much bigger than the batteries themselves. And 4 screws hold the battery tray in and all the rest will Fall out too. Um, easy to get apart.

Back with magnets

xref to the other COB thread: COB/SMD for floody flashlights? anyone tried ...?

What does COB stand for?

Chip On Board

I have a couple of the cheap AAA COB lights and even though they were a bargain at less than $3.00 and I really like them, I was looking for a AA version to try out.

I noticed the posts by vwpieces concerning the AA Vibelite, (thanks vwpieces!), and decided to try one. Like him, I was pleasantly surprised. It really is a quality piece with solid metal construction and is brighter of course than my AAA COB lights which to me are plenty bright. The high/low/flashing red modes are nice but I wish you didn’t have to cycle through all of them to turn the light off. I also wish it had a pocket clip like my AAA COBs.

The only issues I have with it as he also described is the plastic emitter cover which could be an issue if dropped or could be compromised during hard use. Also on my example, the magnet in the tail isn’t what I would consider very powerful. Being that this light is mostly thick metal and contains 3 AA’s, it is fairly heavy and other than sticking it straight down or straight up, the magnet is not strong enough to support it horizontally which comes in handy when say working under the hood of a car. I took care of that by epoxying another powerful 22mm magnet to the exsisting one doubling the pull strength .

Unlike vwpieces example, the power switch on mine operates with a very discernible click when cycling through the modes.

All in all, this is a very nice AA COB light and even at $12.99 it’s a good bargain. It would make an ideal car light especially with it’s flashing red LEDs. Highly recommended and if you’re looking for inexpensive, very small yet powerful area lights, these COB lights can’t be beat.

I also have a “silver” copy of the “big larry” but the magnet seems pretty strong. I forgot it mounted on the trunk and surprisingly I didn’t loose it during a long ride.

I’m starting to look for sources of COB emitters in various color temperatures, to swap into these lights.

FT and KD have some in lower voltage 8mmX60mm in WW. Bought some for a project in progress. Need to figure out resistors, driver currents and such. Need to learn some things first.

I hope there will be BLF Edition - COB light (18650 powered)! :partying_face:

That would be great and I think everyone would need one or 10………

26650 powered Edit: A SINGLE 26650 pushing this Cree CXA1512 at 21.1V, 0.99A.

21V, 2000 lumens, 95 CRI at 5000K

Edit: A SINGLE 26650 pushing this Cree CXA1512 at 21.1V, 0.99A. It’s the boost driver in the DQG III that started out a 7x XP-G2 light.

Looky what I found….

And from Ali… Page Not Found - Aliexpress.com

Not a fan of the color, but comes with the 18650 spacer tube: Page Not Found - Aliexpress.com

Had one of those in my Ali cart for about a month. That is the best price I have seen with ePacket shipping… just bought it.

Will try to put one of these in.
Authentic FandyFire 3W 30*LED 500LM 3000K LED Emitter (5-Pack)

since the Vibelite is no longer avail… this is also a 3xAA currently $6.23

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COB-LED-Pocket-Pen-Torch-Magnetic-Inspection-Foldable-Lamp-Flashlight-Slip-Light/252635690309?\_trksid=p2047675.c100010.m2109&\_trkparms=aid%3D2220072%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D41376%26meid%3D16b186a8a82b4801927f68ca8b0829de%26pid%3D100010%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D182361349495

More uses for COBs, fixed lighting:

and

Looking forward to some neutral white ‘3 volts’ high CRI COBs…