Code now public! BLF A6 FET+7135 Light. Short 18350 tubes and Unanodized Lights Available

Will/is there a seperate thread for custom modding the driver?

I’m looking to have:
—first loop
-lowest mode adjustable, range of low to high-medium
-high, and turbo’s stepdown
-turbo
—second loop
-batt check
-tactical strobe
-bright flash while low-medium constant output

I am hoping a deep pocket clip, which will be removed by me and lost, will not be the deciding factor on who to go with.

Succinct summary.

Thanks for the reply TK

Is 140 lumens bright enough for a bike light ? (not a cyclist myself)

It’s really for daytime use - The 1400 lumen pulses would drive you crazy at night!

For nighttime use you would select a constant on mode.

-Chuck

The bike mode sounds really cool.

My signature below has a link for firmware modding.

Most of this should be do-able without a lot of code changes, simply by changing what modes are listed in each mode group. Making the low mode adjustable isn’t currently implemented though. And depending on whether “second loop” means “hidden loop” or “second mode group”, this may already be pretty much what it already does.

I also use code I call “cypreus2” on some of my lights, which removes the soft config options and uses that space for more blinky modes instead — which are in a completely separate hidden loop.

It’s significantly brighter than the lights most cyclists use at night, but it’s not as bright as the high-end expensive bike lights some serious cyclists or night mountain bikers use. It’s about as bright as you can get in a city without making other bikers angry.

I’ve talked to people who bike with a Skyray King on high because they think 2000 lumens is barely enough on a bike… but that’s a far more intense beam than two common car headlights, and is illegal in some places. A friend uses a 400lm bike light in the city and gets honked at a lot by drivers who think he’s too bright. And a lot of budget bikers use cheap 20-lumen lights and think they’re plenty bright. I used a SK-68 on medium (~21 lumens, wide mode) for a while and thought it was pretty okay (the ~70 lumen high mode actually bothered other bikers, but mostly because it was aimed too high).

So… 140 lm is in the middle, toward the high end of what is acceptable for city use. I recommend putting diffuser film on the lens if you want to use this mode frequently though, to spread out the beam. Road lights work better when they’re floody.

“Road lights work better when they’re floody.”

I find just the opposite.

Just bought a Fenix BC30 and it’s too floody so I run a Convoy L4 on medium to supplement the so called “Dual Distance Beam” from the Fenix.

I run the Fenix (With the Convoy on medium at about 400 lumens) most of the time at 200 lumens (it goes 100-200-500-1200, with a 1800 handlebar-operated Burst Mode.

The following Only applies to my perception of the Fenix BC30, when used alone:

100 lumens is ok if you already have plenty of light in a city, just to be seen with.

200 is doable if it is really dark, if you go very slow. - Less than 10mph.

500 is the sweet spot, but there really isn’t a sweet spot with this light:-(

1200 allows you to see no farther than 500 because there is so much light in the “near-field” that any more than the 500 will just blind you so that you can’t see at a distance.

I consider my Convoy (Red) S2+ to be just as good for biking as the $100 Fenix - but it also needs a throwier light to go along with it.

Had I known about the Fenix to start with I would have never bought it.

Thanks,
-Chuck

Thanks for a great job and nice forum thread.

For that we’d want the Hobo Selfie LIght Stick — sling the flashlight on a pole over your shoulder, beam pointed in the direction you’re walking.

From the back, you’re brightly illuminated to overtaking traffic.

From the front, you’re either brightly silhouetted, or you’re an oncoming fllashing light

And from your point of view with the light behind you over your shoulder, your path is lit well enough.
Just don’t step on your own shadow til you know what’s underfoot.

With all this “fine-tuning” going on, the light might be ready when I come back! :party:

I don’t know where you ride that you need a light with more throw for the bars. I can tell you as another cyclist, majority of riders want more spread on the bars. I can’t stand riding with just a flashlight, can’t see crap besides what’s in the tight spot. I own a BC30R and best light ive ever owned for my commuter. Riding with a flashlight on the bars for road use is just a good way to get hit with by a car due to blinding drivers here. I save my flashlights for my backpack to use for other stuff.

Hello,

Can you put me down for 1 CW please?

Thanks.

Brand X is........

Manker

Way back when I started to get real frustrated with getting the original samples we went on hunt for a manufacturer that would be willing to listen to what we wanted AND provide the exact same. At that time EE caught wind and started to get on the ball but still difficult to communicate with.

Now.....

The biggest exterior difference is that Manker made a deep carry clip just for us and manufactured an A6 host to fit it because the standard A6 does not have a clip slot whatsoever. Manker will also allow us to order "naked" lights for those that want.

EE will substitute the A6 tube for an X6 tube...which is ok but "just ok" for and EDC in my opinion. I carry my F30 regularly and I do not like that it rides as high as it does with teh standard X6 clip....but that is me.

Inside....drivers are now manufactured the way we want. Manker's first sample had a two FET's....junk. EE sent samples with a single FET which was ok but not quite cigar ready in the efficiency department. EE also sent a 2 FET sample like Manker....junk too.

Manker samples we have and seem to be working although Dale's acted a bit wierd...TK's was perfect. It is enroute to TK now for neuro surgery :) Then EE samples as of now are MIA. For a fact they were sent but either customs is holding the container or the USPS has misplaced them - dunno.

Maker is anxious to get the ball rolling - hosts, clip, driver. Just waiting to see what happens with TK and Dale and hopefully the EE samples and we will be ......ready for it....sit down everybody >>>>>>>> DONE!!!

Wow, great news. Sounds like a good thing.

There is now a small Manker Ti light on the big auction site with the perhaps less obtuse (than Godmes) name of “Timeback”.

Corporate site is interesting also. mankerlight.com

Thanks, Bugsy, for your amazing perseverance. And the rest of the “A” team :slight_smile:

Manker sounds better to me since they were willing to create a custom design to accommodate the deep carry clip.
But the one weird acting Manker driver is worrisome. My back-seat driver suggestion would be to ask Manker to send a few more sample drivers, to check for this problem.

What would the body look like for manker? Are they copying the A6?

Hey, I like Manker, if their little light the Boney is any indication, we should go with them. The pre production driver with and issue could just be a fast assembly issue or something along those lines. I trust ToyKeeper will find out.

I have an EE A6 and it is nice, but they did not mention the hidden strobe mode on any of the sites. The contact told me it was always there, sounds like the bug is a feature issue. I specifically bought it for no strobe modes…

I dont care for the naked lights, but if they will do both and have manufactured us a deep carry clip… we should do them right, should everything check out.

Would there be any pics available of the deep carry clip?

Is the reflector different in the Manker than the one in the EE A6?
I would prefer whichever has the most throw.

Good Day Bugsy36,

Great update!!

Suggest you post it in the OP.

Thank you Very Much,

George