Code now public! BLF A6 FET+7135 Light. Short 18350 tubes and Unanodized Lights Available

I just got in a stock A6 from Banggood and the reflector is OP (orange peel), not Smooth (SMO).

The build quality is very good just like the X6. Also, it pulls 3.1 amps stock with a Samsung 20R.

However, just be aware that with the OP reflector it does not have much throw. Even after dedoming the LED is still does not throw.

IMHO, this light would be much better with a SMO reflector, not OP. So, I would suggest that we ask for a SMO reflector in this group buy.

Preferences on reflector type? Thoughts?

I agree on rather having a SMO reflector in this light, but it may be hard to get EE to change that.

It isn't just a matter of changing but also availability (is there an SMO reflector even made?). That does not take into account the performance of the samples with the driver. Truthfully speaking, most lights this size are not meant to be throwers. The EE X6 and the LS D80 (https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/31339) are meant to be throwers.

We will just have to see what the performance is when the samples arrive (being shipped now).

I am glad to hear about but not really surprised about the build quality :)

Haha, yeah, don’t expect a thrower in this size. You could put in a smooth reflector yourself though, and a de-domed XP-G2, and it would probably be pretty decent for that purpose.

Otherwise though, I prefer this kind of light to be as floody as possible. I’d want to not only have an orange-peel reflector but also put some diffuser film on the lens. Works better indoors that way, and for biking, and for anything up close. Even with OP and DC-Fix, this thing should still outshine most car headlights.

That is what I am hoping for :)

Funny story...Last night/this morning...one of my coworkers that was gifted an S2 with this driver. He has kept its brightness abilities on the quiet side because some of the others received stock S2's (there are 35 of us). Well this morning he just could not contain himself any longer. While looking at vehicle numbers that were passing by (it is dark) everybody was using their Streamlight Strions (the standard 250 not the 500 HL). Well they could not get enough light or a large enough spot...so he pulls out his "Wight special" and cranks it to high...you couldn't even tell if any other lights were on!

It was on from there. LOL

Ok, is there an after market smooth reflector in this size? i don’t have any problem with changing that if i want some more throw when i get it then, it is always nice to have some options.

There may be but I do not have any to reference. Example....EE F30 looks like S8 host..but reflectors are different and not interchangeable because F30 has an integrated shelf vs a pill in the S8. When they arrive we will see. Considering they are stock...and probably have glue..it will probably be one of the more experienced guys that get the head apart. I played hell trying to get my F30 apart and didn't do it any justice :)

That will be another thing...if they come with glue I will ask that they do not use glue but like everything else at this point I do not know.

I have used the driver and can vouch for it. Same with other EE lights. Never had an A6 so I am not 100% on anything :)

Yeah i really hope we can get it without glue, i have mostly stayed away from lights that are to much hassle to get open because i want to learn to mod more aspects of my lights, and glue and different kinds of thread locks only lead to frustration :Sp |( :weary:

If there is glue....there won't be any on the BLF version :)

• Interesting that it’s pulling 3.1A on the stock driver. Is it an LDCH driver? (The LD25?)
  • Does yours have a large emitter hole w/ a big centering piece?

I’d be interested in a NW version. Thanks

Bring it!

L0L, it does of course make it more difficult with a small light, but it’s the challenge, all about the challenge! If I can remember later, after the review and all questions have been answered….I’ll see if I can make it a thrower. Not gonna get 200Kcd out of something that small, but it’d be neat to hit 100Kcd right? :wink:

Yeah sound good Dale, i was worried you were going to restrict your self to not fully tricking out this light and showing whats possible like last time, because you said you were not on the BLF D80-SE group buy.

And i like potential in a light or people or anything really :wink: even if it is not always realized :slight_smile: i still appreciate the value of it.

EDIT
@ToyKeeper, you may be right that one of the best use cases for a tube light like this is as a in house and close proximity edc light, i don’t own anything like this at all, i just thought that a smallish smooth reflector like this + an xp-l domed or dedomed driven hard could give a big smooth floody spot on its own without using OP on the reflector, but i haven’t had any problems yet with bigger leds like xm-l2/xp-l unlike some of the smaller ones that if find can produce ugly rings artifacts on small smooth reflectors.

And this is again one instance where i wouldn’t mind being corrected if i have missed something essential, i really try to grasp this at the best of my current ability :wink:

Wight, the link you posted to the LD25 driver gives a 404 error. Here’s one to a LD25 driver on Fasttech:
Here.

It looks like it is indeed a LD25 driver.
Mine has a small emitter hole with corresponding white centering piece appropriate for an XP-L emitter.
Also to be noted is that the emitter wires are labeled 24 awg 200 degrees C.
Here’s some photos:
Here.
And Here.
And Here.
And Here.

Thanks. The pics help. That’s actually the big centering ring I was referring to. It’s a good bit larger than some other XP centering rings… Did you happen to note the value of the sense resistor on top of the driver while you had it out?

I’ve correct the link now that you mentioned it.

Yes, the sense resistor has R02 on it. Pretty big letters so there is no room for the full R025 to be written.

Good info. R02 is the full code. It’s a 0.02 ohm resistor.

Hah, good luck. IIRC, people barely hit 100 Kcd with a tricked out BLF X6. I’d be impressed to see even half that from the A6. Might have to resort to a de-domed XP-E2 or something, and even that probably wouldn’t do it. The EE A6 is not going to throw as well as a Jacob A6.

Unless, of course, you put a laser in it. But that’s cheating.

I'm in for one CW

So it doesn’t count if I put a 200mW laser in it? Dang!

I’ll try, see what it does. But only well after all the group buy is done and everyone has lights and questions have all been answered. (That’s beginning to sound like I’ll never do it!)