Code now public! BLF A6 FET+7135 Light. Short 18350 tubes and Unanodized Lights Available

This is also in the OP......

My math that inspired me to attempt this group buy:

• BLF 17DD Diver from RMM w/ options ~$14.25
  • Noctigon 16mm Driver from RMM ~$1.99
  • Subtotal parts 16.24 plus shipping plus cost of flashlight (EE A6 ~$19) = $35.24 +/- vs $22-$23 (or even less if we can get the same success of the X6-SE)

To me that is a huge savings.

Even without this GB, I would also like to suggest to those that can solder (only two solder points at the emitter) take a stock light that you would like to play with (viable quality host host of course) and get yourselves any of the 17/20/22DD drivers from RMM and a copper MCPCB (or emitter on copper if you do not want to reflow). It is a super easy mod very much unlike trying to solder 7135's and well worth the effort.

I could go for a NW unit. I’m more interested in the driver than the host though.

Is there any way we could not get an AR lens on this? At least on the NW models, it kind of ruins the nice neutral tint.

Im in for 1 with NW,

But still waiting on final price and tint options.

It would be great if they could produce that driver and give wight some credit (%of the sale).

Massive +1

I would feel better if wight got a piece of the pie also :slight_smile:

And these driver really should be available from Hank & other similar mod stores like fasttech or maybe even banggood, i hope this group buy makes it more common.

Can't say about the AR lens...but the BLF17dd driver can be purchased at RMM's store.

Let me know if you would like to be added to the list.

If someone provides the driver on its own, it would be good/better to only have 1 shop sell them.

Why?

If RMM starts selling the A17DD-SO8 it would be + the familiar expensive shipping cost from the US to the EU for folks like me.

What is the downside to have better availability of more ready made DD FET drivers like the BLF17DD or the A17DD-SO8 out there, besides all the variations of the many attiny+7135 based ones that all the popular mod shops from china sells?

Both drivers are open source do anybody can build them.

Problem is rmm builds then individually like Ledsmoke...whereas for the typical vendor that isn't possible and would require a serious commitment in quantity as Ledsmoke himself stated so unless someone in the EU wants to build them by hand chances are they weak not be available as easily.

maybe two

Basically whatever it takes to get someone at the supplier end to figure out that there’s a reason to actually be consistent over the long term producing quality work, rather than turning out a small run of good stuff then filling the next big order with — stuff.

I suggest taking names — actual individual people’s names — and asking them to be the ones doing the quality control.

It’s an old fashion way of doing business, but building a reputation you can live with is worth trying even in the 21st Century.

I mean 1 Chinese seller

One NW please , maybe to add one more NW .

For compensation it would mean more costs and a bigger selling price. I'm not against it but who would like to be the first to add a couple dollars to the sale? LOL

For the other vendors to produce and sell these drivers commercially they would need Wight's permission. We have it for this GB and our community has it for individual use. Commercially speaking, Wight owns it.

Again for anybody that just wants the driver, RMM has the 17/20/22dd but you must use copper in conjunction with the driver.

If the driver cost is subtracted from this light, it is a deal.

I would be interested in one NW.

Has anyone actually tried getting some quotes on building these in volume? It typically falls in a MOQ category that makes the setup worthwhile and getting all the right files to the manufacturer. PCB manufacturing and assembly has become a commodity business. Highly adaptable and very cost effective compared to a decade ago.

Ok i got you ChibiM that makes sense.

and bugsy36 i get there would need to be permission, but until i hear that is not possible or wanted for a fet driver created here by the various creators, i will continue to wish and ask for a wider availability and for it to be sold, and if now eagle eye would produce it, there shouldn’t be anything big as far as making them in quantity, stopping them from making some extra for banggood to sell for example.

I have never gotten the sense that this community is restrictive about possible a more available commercial produced blf17dd fet driver, that i think is based on the east-92 driver anyway.
But if i am mistaken please correct me.

I would be happy to add a buck or 2 to the price for wights purse, and i hope everyone involved that makes this GB happen, gets something for there effort.

I’d be in for a NW one.

Cajampa :)

I am all for adding for compensation to the GB for Wight. I have no issue with that at all but just so there is no confusion for the interest of this GB, when I asked, he just asked that "his" markings remain on the driver.

As for permission for a vendor to commercially market his driver then it should be as question directed and posed in his driver thread. I do not want anybody to get the feeling that I am or will speak for him and his hard work (aside from quality :)).

Now that is out of the way....I need to clarify that I am very respectful and cautious about creative rights. Not only am I a MasterTechnician but among other things I am also a graphic designer and signmaker. When I did the prior layouts for Kronos, unknown to many, I also included a transfer of rights for Kronos to use however and wherever "he" so chose. That in effect made it his and even for I to use it here I would need his permission - even though I do not think that is an issue.

Nightspy :)

I actually have. Not for the 17DD or the A17DD-SO8 but for a variation of a manufacturer's drivers. Any kind of decent price had an MOQ of 1000...that also required deposit. In this case EE has an edge over us because the have a continuing relationship with the manufacturers that we do not have. This does not even take into account the issue of QC - somebody actually has to oversee that.

Regardless :), this thread is about a proposed GB for a light from a manufacturer of proven quality with a fantastic driver and to see if there is any real interest. Those that want the driver only must either get the 17dd from RMM or refer to Wight's thread and build it. :)

In for two CW. Thanks, Bugsy.

What is the actual license used on Wight’s drivers? I thought I read that it was open source, but I’d like to see what it actually says about the rights of the owner and the user(s) of the design. The only ‘open source’ license I have any familiarity with is the GPL, which doesn’t require the user(s) to ask or gain any permission at all from the creator or make any retribution for use, even commercial use, of the licensed product. I know this is a side issue, and somewhat off topic, but creative rights were brought up by the OP, so I think it is fitting enough to talk about it here.

DavidEF - As far as Wight's drivers go they are his. Unless something is designated as allowed it prohibited. The creator of anything has the right to do as they so wish. Really, this topic and its questions belong in that driver thread. I cannot and will not speak for Wight.

I can say for certain, though, that should any entity try and commercially profit with express written consent I would in no way support or advocate the purchase of the same nor should any BLF member.