Combat ring for Tube lights like the S2+?

I’ve had good luck using a section of rubber chair tip on the S2+:

I got the idea from a post on BLF, but haven’t been able to find it again.

The problem with these rings are it depends where place them they may interfere with the light cause the tail cap won’t tighten enough.
You could use pvc pipe or maybe even a rubber door mat.

There is no problem to cut them from SS sheet with laser, but there is no place for them in Convoy lights, tail side threads are anodized, if you add smth between tail and tube there will be no electrical connection.
Sometimes there is one more thinning in tube (S2 for example), but it is about 3mm length, I suppose plasic would be better material to make such rings.

The rubber ring from the ZY-R13 (post#4) fits the narrowed clip position of the EE X6, the Kronos lights, Convoy S8 and the BLF A6, MankerE14/AstroluxS41 (the Convoy S2+ has a narrower clip ring, it will not fit there). It also fits some e-switch lights like the Olight S30 and the Solarstorm SC02 but a cigargrip is intended for tail-clickies. I keep it on the BLF-X6 because it looks great on that light but would like to find it for sale somewhere for use on some others lights also.

And some lights look a bit funny with it:

If I can’t find anything pre-made I am gonna try 3D printing something that will “snap” into the grove that is normally used for a pocket clip.

Nice but it won’t fit the S2 or S2+? Where do you get these?

Interesting idea, got a link to where you get them?

P.S., that is a well used S2+, looks like my old Fenix P2D.

The chair tip protectors are available at most of the big box hardware stores. Search “leg tip” or check the aisle with the adhesive felt furniture feet.

I think I got mine at Lowe’s, and they were marked 7/8” to 1”. Good fit on the Convoy S2+, BLF D80, and BLF A6.

I’m a cheater… I faked that ’patina’ on my S2+ triple! :smiley:

The red S2+ was just a bit too flashy right out of the box, and I wanted to try a DIY stonewash.

Here’s my post in the ‘What did you mod today?’ thread about how I did it.

Those chair leg tips are available in assorted diameters, colours and materials in any hardware store, or even ‘dollar’ stores.

I’ve used them to fabricate diffusers, modify lights to tail stand, and turn into grip collars.

Possibly a rubber grommet in the proper size, from your local hardware store.

Duh, I knew I had seen them at home depot. Too used to having to order everything online.

So it is like those “pre-worn” jeans? The look is nice actually, I just prefer to earn the wear and tear, then I have the stories to go with them lol.

Haha, exactly like pre-worn jeans.

I agree that “earning” the patina is better, but I’m too easy on my gear! :smiley:

Search for silicone vape grip rings and most should fit 18650 tubes. I have some on the way so cannot share pics just yet.

Those are nice, too bad they are so small, not sure you could really get a grip on them like an officer would need. Or are there larger ones I missed?

Couldn’t find larger ones but was hoping I could stack them. :stuck_out_tongue:

I have found that silicone vape grip rings are ok initially but after a while
silicone seems to stretch & become too loose.

Maybe a slice of hard rubber like a chair-leg tip would be better ?

basically these happens on every vape rings I’ve tried. Never once worked after 2 months of usage.

They go slippery or extra loose after a while

Ah, pity.

i picked up a few rubber plugs for the sink and carved out a round center hole and then sliced/sanded etc into shape .. IMHO the best cigar grip rings are xeno 's ...i asked a rep here one day and they changed the subject ad tried to point me o a retail seller (EDC)...iIuse rubber bands of all colors all sizes on about 40% of all my lights .i've carved cigar rings out of high density foam like the stuff you'd use to line a case ...worked but needs a rubber band to keep it from sliding off ..Lastly I use colored womens hair ties....kind of handy to have different colors if you have many of the same lights with different tint / driver /emitter set-ups

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100pcs-Elastic-Rope-Women-Fashion-Hair-Ties-Ponytail-Holder-Head-Band-Hairbands-/391447736898?

Ok, finally got around to making a combat ring for the S2+. This is a prototype but seems to work well. It has a lip that sits in the groove right next to the tailcap, so the tailcap can screw off without messing with the ring.

It also means that the ring can fit super tight and thus not have to worry about it coming off (maybe a bit too tight on this version but at least it won’t come off unless you want it too).

Any comments on design? Color can be anything. I could add big fancy finger grooves but that seems like it would be less useful in many ways since you would have the align them before they would work and the whole idea with these is to be quick and easy way to not lose your light.

Smaller? larger?

If people like these I could make a batch to sell if there is interest.

P.S. Pictures were a test with my new S41 mixed tint high CRI build, not the best lighting spread but the color on some other pictures came out amazing, much like it looks like to the human eye. I am sold on mixed tint lights now.

^

Nice solution. Being someone that works on cars and does home repairs, I know what you made that from. Genius, my friend. Should be very durable and grippy. Don't think I could ever cut one so true and cleanly.

We use that very ring on a lot of our LEO lights and have never had a problem with one. You get what you pay for in this one.
TL