COMETA Solutions//Warnings, safety, problem"fixes", pre/post mod measurements, & more. UPDATED

Nice I asked all involved for this exact fix kit! Cool it is going to be done, better late then never :wink:
Great effort thanks Won!

I refrain from commenting on refunds because Banggood is sending me a new assembled pill, I am happy with that.

Let us know if they changed the dimensions, to remove the problems, or just put thicker wires on the same size pill.

Yes I am very curious what to expect and of course report about it here!

Guys i had a reply from Neal. He said that they are preparing the kit for the fixing action that contains:
1 washer battery tube
1 washer for around the led under the poorly anodised disc
1 small roll of heat resting eletrical tape
2 wires 20AWG a couple of cm long

please clarify. Are u saying that Neal will be providing this kit to all who ordered the Cometa? Free?

not to be negative but there is no way he is going to refund everyone who purchased a Cometa. I mean, come on.

I like my light. A friend sent me a spacer for the LED and a couple of pieces of Kapton tape. I made a washer for the battery nub issue. My light works fine but I don’t feel it is safe, as there were other reported issues. Also, the zoom thing wobbles and I don’t know if it is supposed to or not? And I’m not sure we got the power we were promised. So yes, lots of issues …… but I still enjoy this light.

Yes, but in what way? The tint is different, think the performance is not as good, but not 100% sure of that. My Z1 lens is perfect, the Cometa one is cracked ahte lip/edge, think because of poor design of the housing - I might have cranked down on the bezel tightening, not sure.

HI guys.
An update

Thanks Won for honorable position.!
Please do not renege on your demands and protect our collective interests.

Think that some hyperactive users sometimes doing more harm with their private interests than helping the topic.

Yup. It’s a bummer.
But we are here to help the other 99,9% of the members.

Agreed. IMO there has been enough room for venting, and now it would be nice to have something constructive for the future.

Had some more free time:

Dimensions measured with calipers in millimeters.

Throw measured at 7ft converted to candela.

I tried to keep the variables as constant as possible. The results were fairly consistent with about a 5% increase using the stock Z1 lens versus the Cometa lens. Jumps to about 11% with the Cometa as the test subject using the King Kong cell. I’m uncertain why that is the case for that particular instance.

Thank you very much.

Does your Z1 still have the stock XM-L2 LED? If yes, the lense of the Cometa is even more worse than the measured percents, since there is a not-domed XP-L HI inside.

Edit: … or did you put the Z1 lense into the cometa?

That does not mean the Cometa or the lens was bad. The XPL-Hi was requested as a spec. It has never been used in a Zoomy Aspheric before. Zaxman said that is wrong emitter and if I understand the way aspherics work by the way they collect light they may be right....BUT I still like mine. I wonder of anybody has an XPL to try and see what the difference may be.

I did put XP-L HI in zoomies and always got better throw due to the (virtually) smaller die. After reading theodore’s unknown00101’s post again I guess he put different lenses into the same light which makes a valid compare.

Unfortunately I do not have enough experience with zoomies but I see what you are saying.

Bit off topic, but does this mean the Jaxman Z1 is the best zoomie out there still?

That seems to be the consensus, and we should soon know the views of Dale, Yourrid, Tom E, Ouchyfoot, & the others with their newly purchased Jaxman Z1 hosts.

Best Regards,

George

Hmm. Looking at my table it may be confusing. I think I tried to include too much information. Sorry about that. I edited my post and included better tables (included below too).

I put the Z1 lens in the Cometa and the Cometa lens in the Z1 and took measurements in each configuration. Then I put them back in their respective host. The Z1 is fully stock with an xml2.

Throw measured at 7ft converted to candela.

Maybe that Brinyte is a good contester too.
It has a smarter cooling and waterproofing design that sets it apart for me.

Remember, Jaxman told us what their AliExpress page currently sells is their “version 4”
They’ve said the earlier versions with the “Jax” name sold by other resellers do differ in various ways.
The difference in lens size could be one of those.