Convoy C8 Mod - The WOW Factor

Congrats ZozzV6 on a thousand!

Thanks!
To stay ontopic and celebrate this tonight I will try to build a gunmetal grey C8 with XHP70. That will have a WOW effect too I think :slight_smile:
Earlier it has TA17 driver and SST40 led.
It has stainless steel bezel, AR coated lens, lighted tailcap, bypassed spring at tailcap. Now I made an OP reflector bottom opened up for the XHP70 and I want to zener mod a convoy driver and flash it with Biscotti HD to get timed stepdown. The current I want is 3,5 or 3,85A with 10 or 11x7135s. And I will use it with 2x Aspire 18350 batteries. :smiley:

Where can I get a lighted tailcap?

Bo4ka:
You can do it yourself from info in” this thread”:D.I.Y. Illuminated tailcap or you can buy from led4power

https://banggood.app.link/WzmrXAgM4H

Agreed that the D.I.Y. Illuminated tailcap topic is a must read if you want to add a lighted switch to your flashlight. It is highly unlikely that you would be able to “plug and play” with an aftermarket lighted switch without having issues with how your flashlight functions.

Op this is a great tutorial for a rookie like me. I have a C8 whose switch was bad from the get go. I am going to use your write to try and mod it. If i mess up I have 4 other c8 that I ordered directly from Simon. No pressure here. This is going to fun if I get it right. Thanks OP!!!

Bo4ka, i have some of those on their way to me + a few of these
i will see if/how they work and report back here :wink:

Great writeup and pictures - thanks for sharing! :cool:

I have got the throfire C8S and it has a 20mm led and a 20mm driver, this is my first build I’ve done so I am wondering if I can use This driver with the same LED used with this mod. And for the driver what firmware should I use as well as a turbo timer.

Looks like you should be able to use that driver. I assumed the C8S would have the same size driver as the C8, but it instead has a 19.6mm as discussed here: Thorfire C8S question….

I really like the Bistro firmware in my C8. It’s highly customizable and no need for a turbo timer since it has thermal calibration. But I see that RMM has added several new firmware options. Choices, choices…

can confirm that these light up tail switches work in both my BLF A6 with X5/X6 driver and my convoy C8 with the 8x7135 driver with no modification, you do however you need to replace the metal washer with a clear washer in the tail for the C8

can also be found on banggood here

There is also the option to get one of the tail LED boards that replace the washer, so you got way more efficient light output

Lighted tail switch board replacing the washer around the switch

16mm

17mm
https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/yplKNhqL

with balance resistors
16mm
https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/w6gt2IPa

17mm
https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/1KqF1Aw1

Thanks for letting us know. It appears the lighted switches work with the BLF X5/X6 driver/firmware as indicated in the switch description and according to the Convoy website (lighted switch for convoy flashlight ) they work with their flashlights except “Notice that it’s not compatible with the biscotti firmware”.

I just tested this evening that it does not work (unfortunately again) with the BLF A6 firmware on a Moonlight Special 17mm Driver even though I had my fingers crossed. The lighted switch turned it into the dreaded next mode memory. This would also occur if I added a lighted switch to my modded Convoy C8.

although the Astrolux/BLF switch works in the convoy, it is quite dull when compared to being installed in my BLF A6 with X5/X6 driver

in this pic you can see the Convoy on the left and BLF A6 on the right

Wow factor for sure. Your soldering is very neat and tidy. Looks very professional. I went to soldering school thanks to the US Navy. I was a Radioman on a nuclear submarine and was responsible for the maintenance and repair of my gear. I got some awesome training thanks to the Navy.

can anyone tell me is it worth doing a spring bypass on the astrolux switch? it has a dual spring setup, is this suitable or would a bypass be worth doing?

Thanks, I appreciate your compliments! And thank you for your Service. Maybe you can show off some of your soldering skills here.

From what I recall on the BLF Q8 thread, it appears a bypass is better than dual springs. How much better I’m not sure and may not be necessary depending on your build. I have the Astrolux dual spring switch on my modified JAXMAN E2L triple flashlight and it can get hot very fast, AND I’m not interested in giving it more amps.

it seems to be working fine and for the sake of a few lumens or miuntes run time i dont think its worth ruining (my solder skills arent excellent) the switch and have to wait another 3 weeks for more switches from AE.

you dont happen to know if the pill in the C8s is removable?