Convoy L2...Guess who's back???

It can be reflashed but that involves removing the mcu IIRC and then flashing it, not the easiest task unless you are setup for it.

I pulled out my L2 last night to get all of my flashlight batteries charged up, and realized how little I actually use this light. I want to say I put a dedomed XM-L2 U4 1C and the color is just God awful. It has a weird green, burnt orange color and it just doesn’t produce the output I was hoping for (compared to some of my other lights).

So, I’d like to do something with this thing instead of it being a heavy paperweight. I’ve never modded a light with XHP’s so I’m wondering if it would be possible to put one of them in here… but still keeping it a single cell light. Is it possible to run a single 26650 with a boost driver with a XHP35/50/70?

I definitely want to keep it as a single sell powerhouse, as I have an L6. But I’m not sure if there is a driver that would fit the bill.

You should easily be able to put a boost driver to run an 6V emitter like the XHP-50 or 50.2, or 70/70.2, but the problem is it’s difficult to find such a driver that really pushes very hard. So the end result isn’t all that great for most of us here that like output. The 12V boost drivers are fairly pathetic as well, so running a single XHP-35 from a single 26650 is also fairly disappointing.

If you’re ok with it not being a powerhouse, then the 50.2 or 70.2 are very viable options. I know several here have used drivers from KaiDomain but I can’t recall which it was. Someone will chime in, pretty sure. Kawiboy?

Sorry Jason, been out lately with health issues.

I need to get some bubble packages and prices from the post office, all I have are flat rate boxes that start at like $5.85 or something, not sure one of these extension tubes will fit in the small flat rate as it might be too big around.

I’ll check into it…

H2-C is for XHP35 from kaidomain. It works with 1 or 2 cells.
It can be resistor modded for bigger output but it need good heat sinking.

Thanks for the insight DB; I wasn’t sure if there was such a driver or not. Maybe adding a longer tube is the way to go. The L2 is so heavy that I’d like to put that heat sinking ability to good use.

I was reading up about loneoceans’s GXB20 driver ( Thread Here ), but it looks like he made a few, figured out how to make it work, and then stopped. :weary:

I was hopeful of getting one of those from loneocean as well.

Directly above your post, ZozzV6 tells us what to use from KaiDomain. :wink:

The last L2 I got I had planned to use the XHP-35 and the LD-2 driver, when the light came in I really really liked it in single cell form. But I went ahead and used 3 extension tubes and the modified LD-2 driver, have it running around 2.6A I think, can’t really remember. It’s nice though. Long, like an old 3D Mag and with good throw, over 2000 lumens.

Edit: Ok, so I backed up in here til I found where I’d built up the L2 with it’s XHP-35… had forgotten I used Richards Buck driver and then modified it’s output…
“Somehow it seems I never mentioned it, but I changed the resistor on Richards Buck driver in this L2 such that it went up from 2.42A to 2.6A and up from 2352 lumens to 2518. Lux too is up, from 258Kcd to 285.75Kcd (274.5Kcd at 30 sec)”

Anybody try a 70.2 in an l2 ?

You can check these out, might be something you could use? I just run a 17/22mm FETDD driver Zener Mod with 2x26350’s for the single cell tube. But I don’t know if you can get (26350’s) them any more?

http://kaidomain.com/c/226.DIY-Flashlight-Circuit-Boards-LED-Driver-Board

This is what I was kind of thinking. I’m sure the L2 would get warm, but its pretty hefty so I’d think it would manage the heat well.

DB & ZozzV6: It looks like the H2-C looks like it is 22mm. whereas the L2 takes a 20mm. I did find this H1-A ( Link Here ), which is a 20mm boost driver so this might be possible.

3amps at 6v… I wonder which XHP will give me the best output vs heat. Or should I just go for sheer output :smiling_imp:

Edit: KawiBoy: Yea I’ve been looking through those. How do you get the 17/22mm drivers to fit in the L2?

I have both models of L2’s a 17mm driver (old version,one of the first ones) and a 22mm based driver L2

Edit: Stop I filed down a 22mm driver for the newer L2 20mm driver, because that what I had on hand.

Weird… I usually just go off of what Mtnelectronics lists as driver size. Looks like he has it as 20mm. I guess I need to take my apart and see what I got.

Edit: Turns out mine is a 17mm

No I filed down a 22mm driver for it, I edited my last post. I think when I used the 20mm it was sloppy so I filed down a 22mm for a tight fit? It was soo freaking long ago, :person_facepalming:

I have CRS!!! :smiley:

I run these cells on a fet driver with an xhp70 in my mini L6 and got 7.3 amps. It’s not the 11 to 12 amps you’d get from a pair of 26650, but it’s pretty decent.

Richard at MTN is carrying the 26350 cells now.

!!

FWIW. The Kaidomain H1-A driver fits the newer Convoy L2’s with no modification. I have an H1-A and an XHP 50.2 combo single cell in the L2 .

Did a resistor mod on the driver also - took out the R025 resistor and replaced it with an R018. Do not have any numbers but visually it seems to be pushing the emitter harder.

I’m having to look this stuff up as its been so long since I’ve even looked at this thing.

Jason: Those cells might be the easiest way to make this work. I guess my dilemma is whether I want a pretty bright, single cell looking light… or buy the tube extension and run a XHP70.2 with a FET and have some serious power.

Has anyone put the new XHP70.2 in a SMO reflector? I wonder if there is still a dark spot in the beam on the new version.

Of course they have, myself included. Technically they are a bit dim in the center, but you can’t hardly tell when at high power levels. They look nice.

I tried a 50.2 as well and the results were the same, just a smaller hotspot diameter.

If you use the 70.2 or 70 you might have to open up the emitter hole in the reflector quite a bit! The XHP50 fits perfect, XM size, just saying……

looks like this is going to be my next project :slight_smile:

From that angle, it looks long… I measure 65mm x 385.5mm or 2 1/2” x 15 1/8”.

It’s a little longer than a 3D Maglite, shorter than a 4D.