Convoy L2...Guess who's back???

Nice to know Kawi, I too have cut the entire flat bottom out of my Courui’s and like the results, but I have an SBT-70 in one and have the other reflector in my hand made (1st Lathe attempt) light. The other Courui is attached to the huge Seanna optic.

I despise TK61’s! They’re a biyat to focus and get right!

I’ll play with this L2 and see how it wants to act, not sure what I’ll do in the long run but I did find some 50mm triple optics and I DO have a couple of massive pieces of copper bar stock…

Dale, buddy would you do these good folks (and me) a favor and take some pics of your stock L2 host before you go nuts on this thing? If I take mine apart enough to satisfy the inquiring minds I’ll likely end up having to try fixing it and that may not go well…

Will do, should be coming in pretty soon.

Edit: It was in Chicago yesterday the 8th, due here on Friday the 13th. :wink:

Got it today, very fast shipping.

This is my first convoy with that awesome white cardboard convoy branded box. Love it!
First impression: a large beefy piece of black aluminium. :bigsmile:
No serious. It’s an awesome light which is indeed on the heavy side but it fits great in my hand. You can really feel all that aluminium that’s begging for some heat.

Very well machined, nice square threads.
Thick battery tube with some nice square machined ‘pads’ which has some knurling on them. The knurling could have been more aggressive but due to those square pads you still have enough grip.
The head has plenty of aluminium, with some nice cooling fins.
Nice big reflector, has no defects in it.

Some cons:
Forward clicky switch. It is my first forward clicky so maybe I just need to get used to it but so far I prefer reverse clicky.
Knurling in the battery tube, as I said could have been a little bit more aggressive.

So I’m very pleased with this light. A side switch wouldn’t hurt but it’s not that the light wont work without it.
As some has pointed out it looks like the reflector isn’t perfectly focused with the emitter. I dont know if I will play with that but I think I’ll put a different driver in (have a fet +1 laying around :bigsmile:, should have great output with a 26650 and more than enough heat sinking)

Have anyone ordered this light from GearBest, since the price is 32-33$ ? I am tempted,and still trying to resist… Have too many big lights, and BLF Maxtoch M24 almost on the way.
Think I am going to wait for Dale’s impressions, and some beamshots

sideswitch would be great! would love to see something like a convoy L4, 26650 style :slight_smile:

Whats going on with this thread, not a single user submitted picture. Come on guys, get the cameras out

<Camera’s out, waiting on the light to get here. :stuck_out_tongue:

:slight_smile:

Dale! Dale! Dale! Dale!

Simon is still working out the details but the upcoming Convoy L6 will be a 2x26650 with a side switch (L4 style but L2 size) but will come stock with an XHP70 emitter.

He did say dual-switch not just sides-switch, right?

I fully intended to do at least a mini review with pictures of the L2 and beam shots but I haven’t had time and I certainly can’t do it justice with my phone camera but out of guilt I can give you at least a glimpse. Dale will be able to deliver much better in a few days. This is just shots from my phone on auto settings with the flash turned off. Sorry I couldn’t do more but it’s a start…

L2 sitting on a table. Lens measuring 6 feet from my ceiling.

L2 sitting on my porch railing pointed at the pole barn across the street. Approximate distance 225 feet.

J-Dob,

I think that you are much too modest.

Thank You!
-Chuck

Yes. I was very emphatic about that. Simon asked me twice to be sure since after a barrage of communication he stopped production of the new L6 because I made it very clear that the majority of BLF was not going to be happy with a single rear switch. The new L6 should have an L4 type switch setup but I based my specified setup on my modded L4. I don’t have a stock L4… :~ What I told him was that our preference (I hope the majority agrees) was that the rear switch function is basic on-off/lockout and the side switch is used to change modes as well as on-off if lockout is disabled. Good?

Cool! Good job! Any Idea how big the reflector is going to be?

Just wondered because this is what the L2 looks like 2x26650, oh yeah the Jax X6 has a little brother now!

Thanks J-dub, nice beam profile. Is that the stock light as purchased or did you buy the host and modify it yourself?

Ok Kawiboy you got some esplainin to do. :wink: Does the L2 head actually thread into the Jax X6 Hunter tube? I’m also wondering what you think of the L2 with the mods you did and if you could post a beamshot…

Mine is in Austin, 60 miles from here, but tomorrow is a holiday so I should get it Thursday, a day early. :slight_smile: