Convoy L2...Guess who's back???

Pull the driver and test it out of the light. I had a problem with the LD-2 running a XHP70 in mine. It would all of a sudden go dim or flicker? I removed the batteries, check for the tell tale smell, nothing? Put the batteries back in and it work fine… for awhile? I removed the driver and tested it outside the light no problem? Checked the fitment of the driver to the driver cavity and it was quite sloppy, barely touching the ground ring if not off to one side, but barely if perfectly centered? Had to really bare down on the ground ring to make better contact. Then the other problem arose, the LD-2 getting hot and dropping out-put. I have since put a RMM FETDD in with the 2mm per side ground ring and have not had a problem since. My LD-2 measures 16.8mm, I didn’t even take the wings off the FET driver and it dropped right in, and is almost centered perfectly. Maybe that might be the problem, sloppy, very little driver ground ring contact? But testing it outside the light will prove it out for you! :wink:

I am very impressed with stock performance. I got it from GB because had some 7$ in points, witch drop the price to 25$ :bigsmile:
Its neutral white with 3C tint,and have none imperfections, reflector and glass are also perfect.

Some pictures taken from balcony last night

350 meters shot,taken with mobile phone

Simon tells me the first batch of the current L2 will be sold out soon.

Here is a bit of what we can expect in the next release of the L2:

*Stock L2 will come with a single tube and an extension tube similar to the way the L4 is sold.

*New driver. The next batch will use the LD-29 driver meaning the stock light will work essentially the same whether you are using a single cell or 2 cells with the extension tube.

*Different knurling. The existing “block pattern” knurling is being dropped because of the difficulty getting the knurling to align when using the extension. A “beta” picture of the new design is shown below.

*Different emitter. The stock emitter will be XPL-HI. :bigsmile: No information yet on tint, bin, etc.

Here is a glimpse of what the next version should look like.

For those waiting for the double cell tubes for the current version they should be made soon. Simon isn’t sure how many to make. I’m waiting for a bit more info from him to help him decide that number. My main question to him being will the one piece 2 cell tube be compatible with the next version L2. It is my hope that the tube for the lights we already have will be a double length version of what we have now with the block knurling and removable tactical ring. While we were going round and round about the tube Simon was pushing forward with changes to the next batch. I love my current L2 but this next round looks very promising.

Edit:
For those wanting more information on the LD-29 driver HKJ did a review of it here http://lygte-info.dk/review/DriverTest LD-29 2.8A 1-2 Cell UK.html

I know it’s not easy to communicate changes, but for me, knowing I’m going to hot rod virtually every light I get my hands on, I like seeing deep numerous heat sinking fins adjacent to the emitter shelf. On the current L2 (as well as the one shown above) the fins are part of the head where the reflector is, which puts them actually above the emitter which of course is the heat source. The emitter and it’s DTP MCPCB will be directing heat down and out from under the emitter, so the most efficient cooling fins are below and away from the emitter. I would like to see the fins more appropriately placed, not just aesthetically on the head.

Look at the X6 from Eagle Eye, the fins are placed where they belong on that light, one of few that actually does this. The big brute BTU Shocker has massive deep cooling fins, also right where they belong. There’s really only 2, but they are where they need to be and have a lot of mass and surface area. Efficiency. The name of the game.

Edit: I saw a thermal imaging picture once that showed very clearly the heat spreading out from under the emitter in almost exactly the same pattern as the light coming out the front. Taken the perspective of that picture, it’s like a big hourglass, light out the front heat out the back. So it only stands to reason to place cooling fins where the heat is going, right?

Cool! Please make extra reflectors, I need to finish the L2 XHP70 with a new reflector and one spare would be nice, my stock one is Kaput! :bigsmile: 2X26650 Tubes, I would like at least 3 maybe more, if you want to start an interest list? :wink: Great job Simon and J-Dub!! :slight_smile:

The emitter shelf in relation to the fins below the shelf on the JAX X6… Excellent point Dale! More is Better!! :wink:

Awesome!
Really like the looks of it, though not sure how comfortable it would be with those rings. I guess not much different than with the current L2?
Do you know if the LD-29 has the same interface?
To be honest I really like that interface, a simple 3mode with a somewhat hidden strobe. The only dislike is that sometimes when I want to change modes it goes into strobe.
Also might it be possible that Simon could increase the Amp’s? Maybe to 3.5 or even 4A? It would be a great thrower especially with that XP-L HI.

This is really hard, I want this new, new version L2 but also the L6 when it is available…

So the first batch is almost gone? Do you know how big that batch was?

I bet nobody will tell you ;)!

Is the L2 smaller than the L4?

Also, is the L2 going to come with dual switch? Thought I read something about that a few pages but didn’t see anything about dual switch in the description of the new L2.

Much bigger than L4
No side switch

Still a must-have light.

From a pure function point of view I see your point but Simon is always going to be concerned with the aesthetic point of view. If your going just on looks, the Jax is doesn’t hold a candle (see what I did there? :smiley: ) to the L2. No offense meant of course and that is just my opinion but from what I know of Simon he will not make what he considers an ugly light just because it is functional. The L2 was not meant to deal with the heat from quad-die emitters. Not that there is anything wrong with doing that of course but I’m just saying that he’s probably not going to put bigger/deeper/more fins on the head of the L2 to accommodate the tastes of hardcore modders. You guys make amazing stuff but Simon also has to make a profit and the reality is the number of people who are going to push this to the extreme levels that require more heatsinking are probably 5-10% of his market. That said, the upcoming L6 is where crazy heat dissipation is being factored into the design. I haven’t heard anything from Simon on that one in a while so I just asked him for an update and of course I’ll keep you posted. Once there is more info and actual confirmation of the L6 being produced it will have its own thread.

That’s what Simon told me several days ago and unfortunately that’s all the information I have. I have no idea how big that batch was. It may only be the complete light and not the host. Also I’m sure he’s sold many of these to BG and a few other sources so the current L2 may be available for a bit even when he runs out.

I’m happy that Simon has sold the first batch. I was afraid that it wouldn’t sell that good.

Tom E, did you get a chance to try out the ‘Niwalker Nylon Flashlight Holster’ with this L2?
Still looking for a holster for the L2 (and dual cell L2).

J-Dub, don’t know if it has been asked before but any change that Simon could start making/selling holsters for the lights he sell?
There are already some holster out there that fit a couple of the lights he sell, like the S series or the M1/M2.

I was a little concerned too… until I received my L2. All fears evaporated under a brilliant beam of light! :heart_eyes: Then I knew it was just a matter of people buying a few and waiting for the word to spread. It’s one of my absolute favorite lights.

I passed along the holster request. No promises there. He may not want to get into holster design. He’s more a one man show than a company and I don’t know if his manufacturer makes any holsters. It would be cool though. If there were actual Convoy branded holsters you know the quality and fit would be well above average. I’ll let you know what he says. As far as an L2 holster, particularly the 2-cell I don’t know if I personally would use one because that is one heavy hunk of metal to be bouncing around your waist. Maybe he could make an over-the-shoulder sling so you could draw it like a Samurai sword! J)

Received mine yesterday. Mode selection is hard to use or i don’t just get it. It is still nice light.

We’ve finalized the design of the one piece 2 cell tube for the L2. Simon is making a limited run of 100 to start with. If they are popular he can always make more. This is meant for the current model L2 but will also fit the next batch since the threads are the same. This provides another option both functionally and aesthetically different from the next series which as I’ve mentioned will be ring-style knurling and is a two piece design. The one piece tube will use the same block knurling pattern as the current L2 just twice as long and with the removable tactical ring. Price will be determined by how much it actually cost to produce but it should be somewhere around $8. I will add the info to the OP once they are produced. :beer:

This is just a CAD model but this is what it will look like with the optional tube:

My L2 finaly came, and today i had time to tune it

I was quite surpruced at first- by default the host weights only 357 grams, not advertised 510

A S2 2B emitter plus a fet driver gave 340 000 cds ( at start, emitter running 5.7 amps) adn v6 3A( running at 5.8 amps) gave 212 000 cds but the tint is lovely, that emitter has the best tint awailable when dedomed( kinda t6 4c but pinkier)

The weight isnt a big issue and the info should be changed, the build quality is great- an AR glass from M2X and M3x fits perfectly in there

The one thing that it is missing is the side button

It’s a forward clicky so the function is a little different than many are used to. This gives you the “momentary on” ability without fully engaging the switch. You use half presses to get it to the mode you want then you press the switch fully to lock the mode. The stock driver is a bit finicky though and some people have reported difficulty selecting modes. The next batch will have a different driver and should be a nice improvement. The new driver also supports 1 or 2 cells which the current driver does not. Anyone wanting to use the 2 cell tube on the current model stock L2 will need to change the driver or use a dummy cell to bridge the gap.

Yes - I think it fits well in the Niwalker holster from FT (sold out now), though not as deep in as for a HD2010, Y3, or M12 because of all that head area heat sinking Smile. Also fits pretty well in the hostlers I use for SRK's, the Molle 2 cartridge ones. I bought a lot of 3 of these for $20 off of eBay, no longer listed (LOT OF 3 New DESERT CAMO MOLLE II Military Double Mag Magazine Ammo Pouch). The Molle one I got is not an original surplus, probably a cheaper made copy. MtnE has the Niwalker holster, but only 2 left. I asked Richard to get them wayyy back.

From top: Yezl Y3, Maxtoch Mission M12, L2:

M12 on left, L2 on right: