Convoy L2...Guess who's back???

Simon would not ask you to send anything back. Just send him a message through his store and he’ll take care of it.

Happy to see the Lowel IP-72 Frost Gel withstood the heat. (6 min on high) After that the light becomes too hot to be comfortably in the hand. Not sure if I am pushing as many amps as possible. I did copper band the tailswitch. I think I could have done more with the leads to and from the led and driver. (shorter and/or larger) Some links would be great for soldering triple xpl to a FET+
This L2 mod really blankets a room with light.

Is anyone else having problems with the bezel O-ring squeezing out? Mine seems to be little small in diameter. Could maybe use to be a little thicker as well.

I have done this. He is giving me the run around, I have a marked reflector and a switch which is faulty (unlike other forwards I have, this requires pressing the button a random amount of times to change the mode, often jumping from low to high, and often gets stuck on strobe).

Sorry, but such a random action of the driver would be an indication of driver fault, maybe a bad ground even, not anything to do with the switch.
Try tightening the switch retaining ring and the driver retaining ring, see if that solves it.

I am planning on replacing the driver with an LD2, but I’ve tried your suggestion and it’s not improved matters. 25 clicks to go from low to high.

Wow that’s a lot of modes.

At least 10 of them are strobe modes lol.

Crimey! Yeah, the driver is messing up. Goodness, never heard of one doing that before.

The LD2 is a great choice, BUT, if you run 2 cells and use the 2 cell solder pad on that driver then you’re gonna fry a 3V emitter. Put an XHP-50 or XHP-70 or MT-G2 in it. (at least, that’s how I understand em to work. I’ve only used em in 2 cell mode to run the higher voltage emitters)

Vako you must be doing something wrong when trying to change mode, couple hours ago I give my friend new EE X6 with same driver,and he must been clicked for 30 times and never actually makes to change the mode? Just saying, its kinda weird when you using forward switch and driver that memorize instantly last mode……

Nah, just putting a XML2 on a Noctigon in there. I have the same setup in my X3. I’d quite like to put something like the XHP-50 in this host but until the 2C tubes are released it isn’t going to work that well (IMHO)

I have a Xintd C8 and S2+ with a forward switch, I get how they work, this one either doesn’t work (due to the switch or the driver itself) or works in some fabulously weird way. What I am expecting is to half press to turn on momentarily and cycle through the modes, then a full press and a click to turn it on fully in the selected mode. What I get is multiple half presses which just turn on the light momentarily at the same mode no matter how many times I press, occasionally the mode will change (sometimes correctly, sometimes it will jump 2 modes with one press), and random strobe mode with a single press that can’t easily be turned off again.

So, while the flashlight is an amazing design, something in the model I have appears to be buggered.

Well that certainly sounds like faulty equipment. I’m surprised at the “giving you the runaround” comment though. I can certainly see something being misinterpreted. Simon and I communicate often and there have certainly been misinterpretations due to the language difference and those can be frustrating. I have never had him give me the runaround about anything though even when I was just a new customer buying a single light here and there. I cannot really speak for Simon on this but I certainly believe that if he fully understands the situation he will make it right. I can mention it in my next email to him if you haven’t gotten a resolution. Forgive me of you’ve already said, but you did buy this directly from Simon’s Aliexpress store correct?

Sorry, was already thinking of the 2 cell tube for this light. My bad. (yes, I have an L2 sitting almost touching my arm as I type this, and still I forgot it’s a single cell light. Geesh.)

Speaking of, any updates on those 2cell tubes? :bigsmile:

That is one of the communication frustrations I was referring to. Part of it is Simon having so many projects going and one factory producing them. I think some things get put on hold. As far as I know he’s still planning to make the double cell tube but while we were going back and forth on the details he decided to incorporate changes into the next production run of the L2. Those changes as of our last conversation included adding an extension tube to the L2, changing the knurling and taking the driver space from 17mm to 20.5mm. I’m going round and round with him on all the details… In one our recent communications it sounded like he just didn’t know how many to produce since he’s making the next round with a single/double tube combo anyway. Once the muddy water has cleared I will post an update.

Yes, it was direct from his store. It may well be a language thing, so I’ll give it a few more tries. If still no luck then I’ll drop you a PM about it.

I have had my L2 from Simon just over a week and I find the same thing happens here. The half-press to set momentary-on works. Then to perform the mode change to the next mode, I have found that the second press MUST be done VERY quickly. Must be something in the timing within the switching programming. And it does change mode most of the times. It takes a little practice. Occassionally I see the strobe mode, but I have no problem getting to the next mode.
Overall, I am getting used to it.

I just received this from banggood a few minutes ago. The quality is great. I’ve already drilled the hole for the spring bypass, it’s definitely not “Dale quality” but it’ll work. I have a fet+1 and an xp-l hi waiting for it at home.

After a closer inspection of the host, my excitement seemed to fade a little when I noticed a few things…

The reflector has several imperfections, near the bottom, the side, and at the top.

The lens has a deep scratch, almost a crack…deep enough for my fingernail to hang on it.

Again, this host didn’t come straight from Simon, it came from banggood.

Makes ya realize just how difficult perfect is to achieve.

The tiny scratch on the lens might show a shadow in a moon mode, higher modes will obliterate it. The little bubbly looking stuff on the flat at the bottom won’t make any difference at all, I don’t think. It’s kind of one of those things that if your’e killing white walls you might find some anomalies but otherwise, in real world use, there shouldn’t be anything to notice.

Since I used an FET driver, I am not seeing any of the issues y’all mention concerning modes, it’s certainly not in the switch itself. I even swapped out the forward clicky for a reverse clicky in one to be able to gain some room in the tail cap to squeeze a 26700 cell in.

So I’m thinking any oddities are coming from the driver itself, something about the timing as has been suggested already. Still, it’s strange.

Well, certainly makes it easier to fix if it’s the driver itself, since that’s the bit I’m replacing. A shame though, I was going to swap this driver into another host.