Convoy L2...Guess who's back???

Oh, I thought you had to get them to make a custom fitted lens sized at 58.2mm (as opposed to 58.1mm). I know that’s literally splitting hairs, but figured that’s what was needed. If that’s the case then I’ll order off of the list from his website and be done with it! :smiley:

Got my one piece 2 cell block tube today, the tactical grip ring is threaded wrong, too large and threads are too fine anyway. Odd. Probably wouldn’t have used it but still…

Tomorrow I’ll shove an MT-G2 in it and Zener modify an FET, see if I have to modify the aperture on the reflector but it really doesn’t look like it. We’ll see.

I got mine today also. All fits fine here. Did you remove the “hidden” blank ring from extn tube before trying to put tac ring on?

Well I’ll be damned! I knew about that “ring” and it fit so well I couldn’t tell it was on the tube! Threads right off (after removing the o-ring) and the tactical ring fits perfectly.

Sorry, my Bad! :shy:

Yeah, it had me wondering for a minute or two. I was looking for the second loose ring in the Convoy box. Then I had a closer look at the tube :slight_smile:

I also got the new XP-L HI centering rings and they look really nice. I was just using my L2 with HI (built from host) tonight in comparison with a light I built today and it was getting kinda blown away (M2X Javelot with XP-G2 S2 0D de-domed, FET driver, 273Kcd)

So this evening I stuck one of the new centering rings in and got rid of the big XM-L2 ring, wow, pretty tight! Now I have to take some new measurements cause it really seems to make a difference! lol

Well done Simon, well done!

This all made me laugh. I did the exact same thing. I received my new tubes, saw the separately wrapped tactical rings and immediately wanted to put them on. Then I looked at the tube and thought, man Simon blew it here. There aren’t even threads for the ring! Only upon closer inspection I realized that the simple ring was already on the tubes doing exactly what it was meant for… Hiding the threads! :smiley:
I guess Simon did too good a job with that one. H)

+1 :bigsmile:

Simon has to keep the store closed a bit longer. He has to run new fiber optic lines through his new facility. This and other unforeseen difficulties that come with the move are pushing the reopen date further back. I’m sad to say we’re probably looking at another 2 weeks. He said he will probably reopen by the 15th. I’ll keep you posted.

I used my 2 cell tube to make this L2 an MT-G2 light. Very nice! The big reflector actually yields a pretty tight hot spot considering the huge die. I cut the circular aperture of the reflector into a square so the reflector sits on the surface of a 25mm MaxToch mcpcb, built a new A17DD-S08 Zener modified driver with LVP set for the 8.4V power supply.
New 4200mAh Efest Purple cells are on the charger, should be somewhere in the 4000 lumen range, we’ll see later this evening. :slight_smile:

Now I seriously need to get a couple of UCLp lenses…

L2 MT-G2

10.45A at 4084.8 Lumens
5.91A at 2784
2.61A at 1421.4
0.64A at 460.58
0.23A at 159.39
0.09A at 57.96A

Whoa, beam shots please :slight_smile:

My 2 L2’s, same flashlight, vastly different character…

The XP-L HI L2

The MT-G2 L2

These are at 1/5 second instead of 1/2 second, considerably shorter exposure than I usually use in an effort to keep the fat MT-G2 from showing a completely blown out central shot.

Awesome, thanks Dale.

Do you have a website or something where we could easily search through your reviews?

Subscribed

I’m very curious to hear how it compares to your BLF D80.

JDub expressed a question pertaining to the beam shot of the L2 MT-G2. So I took it outside and shot it again a few minutes ago. This time the settings are the old standard, ISO1600, f/5.6, 1/2 second exposure, 2 second timer with Manual focus and Manual exposure settings on the tripod.

I even kept my headlamp on low aimed at the L2 for identification of the light being used. :wink: The beam hot spot is centered on the red oil drum, I made sure I was keeping that in check. :wink:

I want to do a 3s L2. I have a 2015 L2 head, with the 17mm driver opening, and was planning on using a Mountain Electronics buck driver. (5amps) Considering the high voltage I was thinking of using the 5200mAh cells. i.e. I wouldn’t need a high drain cell. Does anyone know how the longer protected cells are fitting?

I noticed a small gap. Nothing an O ring couldn’t handle.

Thanks buddy. Man that thing is insanely bright! I love it!

Hey Dale, what’s your overall opinion of the two cell tube version and the tactical-ring? Now that I have it I can’t believe I ever wanted to lose the tactical ring. There aren’t many lights I like that ring on but in this setup I love it. That grip-slip-acquire move that Kawiboy demonstrated is great. I know you mentioned removing it but I see it’s still there so I’m just wondering. Aside from the internals mine is setup just like yours in that picture with the long block style tube and the tac-ring on as opposed to the simple ring.

Amazing to see that MT-G2 L2.

Anyone has one with XHP70? Should be double as bright :o