Convoy L2...Guess who's back???

I suppose I was speaking too much in generalities when I said it was not recoverable. It’s true that it can be done depending how much damage has been done but most accounts I’ve read usually end up in a lot of wasted time and a ruined reflector.

I admire how you see statements of what can’t be done as a challenge. Cheers brother! :beer:

The world says “That can’t be done” and Dale says “Oh yeah? Watch this!” :smiley:

Thank you for the offer Dale, that Mother’s Alum Polish actually crossed my mind while looking around the garage and saw I still had a new jar and some smaller cone shaped buffing wheels from fixing up some rims but then thought twice since dish soap and water alone seemed to give me a problem and buffing cones didn’t seem to bright even at a low speed so bagged that idea, didn’t want to make the reflector worse than it is.
Your technique sure would make for a great How To type thread on fixing reflectors though, but I’ll try Simon first since I know your always swamped and if that fails I’ll take you up on it,
Thanks again Dale… :laughing:
Edit: Ha Ha, isn’t that the truth J-Dubb… :+1:

Used to be fun winning a tenner on the bet I couldn’t pick up a dime from a concrete floor with a forklift… :wink:

I have messed up one (OK more than one) and did the wet sand increasing grits to 2000 and polished with Mothers.
My fail was Purple cleaner, Zep industrial… Evil stuff. Took the silvering right off. I was out of simple green at the time.

A little off topic but… I have also lined old car reflector bases that are dull or rusty looking with aluminum tape and polished up the tape with Mothers. In a pinch this would also work on damaged plastic reflectors. Clear glass lens won’t hide the tape wrinkles or seams though like a beaded car lens.

I just love it!! Reaching out to touch a deer with an “apology” on opening day………… :+1: … :wink:
Hopefully one “apology” will do it. :beer:

I have an L2 (Block Style) with a single-cell LD25 (stock) Driver/Noctogon XPL HI-

I think the hotspot looks better in the photo (cell phone camera) than in person...the hotspot isn't as tight as it looks and is a little too ringy for me...

The problem is that the light is boring, what can be done to turn it into the monster it should be?

I have a 2-cell battery tube for it, so there are options-

I see Intl-Outdoor has the MT-G2 on sale and that makes me wonder if this could be a better solution...

Reflector and centering ring need to be considered, I'm not too bad at soldering, but my skills are limited-

Suggestions and links if possible are all appreciated-

BTW, my L2 (Ring Style) is a single-cell FET Killer

You can put a MTG2 inside very easy. Reflector is OK without modifications or rings.

And also MTN has a driver modified for that led.

I had my L2 converted to MTG2 and jt was a monster, but I finally ended up putting again a dedomed XPL with a FET driver and buying a Convoy L6

XHP50 mod Rocks in my L2, a LD-2 set at 9amps - 8.14 at the LED! XHP50 Fits the reflector perfectly! Great search light 1 of 5 keepers that I would never sell!! Got enough throwers….

Would y’all believe that I ordered an L2 host in January, got it in February, and am just now starting to complete the build?

I thought I was slow because my host layed on the shelf for one month.
No the post was slow with the driver for it :slight_smile:

Anthon, could you link to the driver you used, and would this 'MT-G2' work (6 volts)?

Could you link to XHP50 + Driver?

How different would the beam look compared to an MT-G2 setup?

I'm guessing both an MT-G2 or XHP50 setup would be exponentially better than the L2 (LD25) as 'stock'...

Is an XHP50 version throws as far as a dedomed XM-L2 U4? I have the dedomed XM-L2 U4 version with BLF A17DD but I don’t have any XHP50 led flashlight to compare.

:smiley: I’m happy to say I’ve never left a wounded deer to wander the woods. I’d feel quite bad if one “apology didn’t do it. I love and respect animals and would never want one to suffer. Unfortunately for the deer they’re just too delicious! I don’t hunt for sport. I’m very selective of what deer to take and choose my shots carefully. Typically they topple over and that’s that. :+1:

That reminds me KB, Simon was going to make an OP reflector for the L2. I’ll have to remind him. How bad is the cross pattern in the beam with the smooth reflector? Did you get fancy to work that out or are you just living with it?

I frosted the LED, some minor, minor artifact remains, if white walling, outside use it rocks! It’s a Keeper! Can’t say that about too many, since I only have 5 I can truly say that about! :slight_smile: They have to be pert near perfect!

SWEET! We need to get you setup with a camera so you can start showing us beam shots of these beauties! :+1:

Interesting. I’ve always been disappointed with the XHP50, to the point that I’m determined to never use one again. I have a triple XHP-50 that I had high hopes for, but that is easily beaten by a single XHP70.

My L2 is getting an XP-L HI, not matter what. But I just grabbed an XP-L JM30, and was planning on doing either MT-G2 or XHP70 in it.

At some point I want an L2 with a hard driven high binned XPL. Not XPL-HI. Ever since Simon sent me the first single cell L2 with a standard dome-on XM-L2 I’ve loved that beam. The hotspot is still very tight and it has tons of useful spill. The hotspot with the XPL-HI is a little tighter but less impressive IMO as it’s not focused as well since it was originally designed for a domed emitter. To really make an XPL-HI impressive in the L2 you need to tighten the focus a bit by bringing the emitter a little further into the reflector using one method or another whether that’s getting the reflector to sit lower or shimming the emitter and usually sanding down the centering ring a bit to make it thinner.

Those are things I’ve talked briefly with Simon about but we’ve been so busy on other projects that tuning the L2 further fell to the back burner.

When using HI or dedomed, I don’t use a centering ring unless it’s mandated for electrical isolation.

Anyone know a link to a great driver for the 17mm L2 running an MT-G2/6v?