Convoy L2/L6 modding thread

It is more interesting what is in the box in the top right corner :wink:
Thank you the other comment on the spacer!

Great work on that spacer, Zozz. I could go for a few of them myself. A 3D printer is on my wishlist… Maybe soon

I built my b-i-l an L6 with a Cree XHP-70.2, when I put the mini Omten in the black plastic spacer and found the length too short, I simply cut the inner nub off a rubber clicky switch and used it as a spacer inside the plastic spacer, effectively making the stock rubber boot have longer reach to the short mini Omten. With Richards 22mm FET driver and 5 modes, w/memory, it pulls 12.03A at the tail for 7328 lumens out the front. I had to open the emitter hole in the L2 reflector, used a stock centering ring from an L6 to fit around the 70.2 and it works beautifully in the smooth reflector, gives a nice defined large hot spot. :slight_smile:

My b-i-l wanted it to have capacity so I am using a one-piece L6 battery tube with the 2 LiitoKala light blue 26650’s. The extension tube on the original L2 tube is tight around the cells, which would make charging a pita. The one piece tube has more room, is less fallible.

In turn, the L2’s short tube looks pretty awesome on the L6, am about to make a heat sink/spacer to raise the XHP-70 to meet a Ledil Carmen TIR/Fresnel optic and go with the unique look this combination presents. :wink:

Will let y’all know how that turns out. :smiley:

That Ledil looks wicked, never seen such a thing

Ran across it a couple months ago, had to order a couple to see what I could find to take one. :smiley:

I love how the glass AR lens in the L6 disappears over the Carmen, doesn’t appear to be anything over the optic at all!

The opic is sort of a hybrid, it’s open across the top like a reflector but has the Fraen steps to collimate the outer portions, while the middle is a raised bubble on top of a TIR shape with a window screen looking pattern that focuses the direct light off the top of a COB. Designed for the flat COB, I think it’ll work well with a 70.2 or MT-G2, maybe even sliced. I did a preliminary fitting and it works, albeit differently than a reflector, less spill overall. Not gonna be a powerhouse output but more of a refined hot spot as it’s design goal is to illuminate a painting on a wall or a table with goods on it in a store.

An image Ledil showed, relating to the target goal…

A wide version lights the painting on the wall, two spots from behind and above light the desk. Interesting…

Another image showing how it works…

I just like the different look, not the same ol same ol for sure. lol

We need a drool emoticon :smiley: I can’t wait to see what you end up with

Mozartkugel.

I have a Convoy L2 with an XP-L2 emitter, and I’d like to modify it for maximum sustainable output. I don’t have any previous modding experiouns so I’m looking for some suggestions about how to go about it.

It looks like the XP-L2 can be driven to about 5A before the the efficiency starts to drop significantly. Would the L2 be able to dissipate enough heat to maintain that current indefinitely?

Assuming I can run around 5A indefinitely, can anyone recommend a suitable regulated driver?

I’m considering a Texas Avenger driver, but the 22mm version only has nine 7135s, which I assume would provide between 3.15A and 3.42A depending on the components. Could I just stack some more 7135s on?

Stacking works, yes. Remember that 5A wont’ run “indefinitely” as you’ll be pretty much limited to a 5500mAh cell which would be theoretically capable of one hour and a bit at that power level.

Thanks Dale. I realise runtime will be a bit limitaed a 5A, but I’m after high output that doesn’t require any thermal management (manual or automatic).

I assume that with a TA driver I’ll be limited to one cell, is that right?

Hey to all,

Just recieved a stock L6, but one of the rings is shredded. Any chance on getting measurements for the tube section o-rings? Thickness? Outer diameter? Inner Diameter? Thinking of getting some good quality viton. Heck, might as well change out the bezel/lens o-rings with viton while I’m at it. Wish they included spare o-rings.

Thanks!

I was thinking about this light, and I think the reason the beam intensity was not as high as I expected was because the dedomes were not complete. I had tried hot-dedoming for the first time and I guess I didn’t do a great job.

To maximise the performance of this light I decided to go with dedomed SST40 emitters and a lower IR cell (aspire 4300mAh 26650).

I had some trouble dedoming the SST40s. Gas dedoming separated the dome from the phosphor cleanly, but the bond wires would not survive. I ended up slicing them very closely with a razor. I left silicone around the bond wires so the result looked a bit like in this thread.

It pulls around 19A (measured using a 10mOhm shunt in place of the tail cap). It does around 215Kcd and I estimate 5000 lumens.

I’m very happy with it now and I think this will be its final form.

Hi …Any advice to make L2 XPL HI hotter than stock without spend too much ? Looking for new driver for 1s/2s with XPL but can’t find one (I’m not in US).
So found this H2-C http://www.kaidomain.com/p/S026504.H2-C-22mm-1_5A-1-or-2-cell-5-Mode-Boost-Driver-Circuit-Board-for-Cree-XHP35-XHP50-12Vd interesting for XHP 35 but with some concerns .
-How to make this with 22 mm. fit 20 mm. space of L2 or just sanding a bit ?
-How many lumens/kcd can I expect for 1.5A(60 sec)/1A with XHP 35 HI on DTP copper ?
Or any better option than this one ? …Thanks

Hello! Sorry for a noob question, if i order XHP70.2 from kaidomain and swap it to my otherwise stock L6 would there be any gain in lumens? I’m using blue liitokala 26650s.

I “modded” my L2 with a piece of my daughter’s rubbery teething rings. I used it to extend the nub on the switch boot to reach a standard reverse clicky from another convoy (M1/S2/etc).

Dale’s KISS method…

Got a wild hair today, made a spacer for an MT-G2 to fit under the Ledil Carmen in my L6, works pretty nice, respectably small hot spot from Cree’s largest emitter. :slight_smile:

Not really. It’s real advantages are a smoother hot spot and its tougher so it can withstand higher amps which put out higher lumens.

Technically it’s a tiny bit more efficient, but I doubt you will notice that with your bare eye.

Would a SMO reflector with dedomed xhp70 give a nice beam profile? And is it worth it to get xhp70.2 and also dedome it or will the difference be to minimal?

Worth it to go with a 70.2 and a smooth reflector AND get an FET driver made just for this light by Richard at MTN Electronics.

I put one together for a friend yesterday and it makes 9500 lumens. :smiley: