Convoy L6... XHP70 Beast!

On Amazon Prime for $25.22: https://www.amazon.com/Impact-Super-Clamp-Ratchet-Handle/dp/B00G4L2976.. Hhmm, might order one as well.

or

https://www.amazon.com/Impact-CC-128-Double-Super-Clamp/dp/B00EHSNMLU/ref=sr_1_4?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1470319901&sr=1-4&keywords=double+super+clamp

I actually ordered the double super clamp, it will allow me to clamp one side to the vertical pole of the tripod and the other side will hold the flashlight. This way one tripod holds both the camera AND the light. :slight_smile:

Edit: I like that the double allows the camera to still sit on top of the tripod and the superclamp will hold the flashlight below and slightly off center, easy to swap lights out without changing where they point.

Also like that I’ll be able to use it to clamp my monopod to almost anything and have a stable shooting platform without having to carry a full tripod. :wink: Could have used this many times in the past, for sure!

Ahh I see your point. :slight_smile: A lit switch would be nice. I see its usefulness. I have an S70 and I absolutely hate the hanger hole it has near the top. Its super sharp, it’s ugly, and it absolutely ruins the look and feel of the light. And the S70 is an ok looking light. The L6 is a phenomenal looking light, so I really would hate how a hanging point would ruin it. It reminds me of a maglite: barebones and simple, but so perfect. It’s all you need.

I don’t know if I mentioned it in this thread but I ordered a vial of green tritium and the proper glue for it. I did ask the seller if sunlight would cure the glue and he responded in the affirmative, but said that it would be quite a bit slower than a ’proper” UV light. I also ordered a UV S2+ light. It was an excuse :slight_smile: . After that’s put in place it’ll have all of it’s minor faults corrected as best as I can. If Convoy ever comes out with an L6 with those items “fixed” I’ll buy another. I really like this light. A lot. It’s as close to a perfect light for my use as I can imagine.

I’ve been using it with the modded loops of leader material and the inexpensive sling and it’s working great. I can do my chores in the dark and have both hands free. The tritium rod is just gilding the lily right now because with the loops the light hangs with the switch “up” so it’s easy enough to find with an ungloved hand. That’ll change in a few months and the tritium should be worth it’s weight in gold then.

Before someone even thinks that I’m paid for these sorts of glowing words of praise, I have no connection whatsoever to anyone having anything to do with these lights, except as a full retail paying customer, the same as anyone else.

My KeepPower 5200mah protected batteries came in today and I’m currently testing and charging them. Ordinarily I won’t need that kind of juice but it’s nice to have it if I ever do.

Charging times get really LOOOOONG with the high capacity cells, just saying…. :wink:

BrianK if anyone is being being paid to review a Convoy light Simon and I are gonna have words. LOL
If I am not number one on that list I’ll officially hang up my hat. :wink:
Seriously though, I’m thrilled to hear another glowing review.
Ha! :student: Get it? Glowing? See what I did there? :stuck_out_tongue:
An illuminated side switch is high on the list of future L6 enhancements. It’s quite likely going to happen though not soon.

Following that we’ll just have to figure out the double L6 backpack…

DB, …And long discharge cycles even when deliberately discharging, as in tonight’s capacity test. Hopefully before I go to bed tonight the capacity test will be finished. I doubt if the charging will be. That’ll probably need to wait for tomorrow.

It’s not for “everyday” maximum draw down of the batteries that I want that much capacity. It’s only in the event that I need it that I want it. I recharge the batteries long before they actually require it* normally, or that’s what I’ve been doing. I might only recharge bimonthly at present use rates with that size battery. But if I need to use full or turbo mode it’s there.

*yeah, I know that’ll eat up the batteries, but they’re there to be used, otherwise what good are they? That’s why I have spares in cold storage.

BTW, I brought an assortment of lights up to a friend who’s moving in locally and we tested them in his field. He was quite impressed and almost couldn’t believe that they were handheld lights. He will need handheld lights because he has a solar PV electrical system as his primary electrical system and won’t have lots of outside lights and such.

Sign me up for a 2x L6 backpack. I have the cells for it now. Once they’re charged that is. :slight_smile:

BTW, one of the cells wouldn’t work in the Opus charger. No matter what I did I kept getting a null message. The wrapper was holding the charger electrode off of the “-” base of the cell. But I had looked ahead and I had purchased some tiny magnets I read of on the forum and that’s what’s making the connection with the charger. I anticipate no problem with the battery inside the light. I’m also thinking of hitting the wrapper with a heat gun to see if I can further shrink it. Comments on that? Yay or nay on the heatgun treatment?

Remember though that the light is capable of discharging at 5A or more, so they’ll discharger faster in use than in your charger system.

So, technically speaking, the 5200mAh capacity is only good for an hour on Turbo, then it’ll take over 6 hours at 1A to recharge em. Back-up’s are a necessity. Of course, we don’t usually use Turbo for an hour at a time and there are very useful lower modes…

It’s really when you build a light up to do a 22A draw on a cell that the whole time thing get’s wack! :wink: I have 3 of the Trustfire 32650’s at 6000mAh in my TR-J20 and it pulls 22A at the tail. Charging 3 of these behemoth’s at a time takes forever! (14,628 lumens)

My point is not so much the TR-J20, but merely if the L6 has a power bump to excessive levels it can not only produce a lot of lumens but also drain a pair of cells pdq. I, uh, well, tend to do things to extremes…

Thanks Dale. I understand that. I can’t imagine me ever needing so much light in such a short time period that I’d ever need more than what’s in those 2 “mega” cells. But if I must I can always hurt the cells and charge them too fast (or just partially charge them more slowly). But again, they’re there to be used and if I need them I need them and to hell with the consequences.

We’re getting off topic of the L6, but I have to ask, what on earth (or off earth) do you do with that much output? The blitz is over. :slight_smile: Just curious, not writing a book. I can’t imagine that sort of output or what I’d ever do with it.

When I got my L6 I looked at how much I thought it could take as compared to what I thought might be a good balance. I went with 6.3A for some 4500-4600 lumens. It handles that pretty well, but I was afraid if I went further and took it to 8 or 9A then it’d just be making a lot of heat and the output would fall very quickly. Hence, balance.

I basically use the lights walking the trash can down to the road on Thursday nights. Or when we have coyote’s getting too close to the house threatening to make our pets their supper. Or when we have storms that knock down tree limbs/trees and I have to be out there clearing the drive. That sort of thing. Sometimes a head count on cattle that can be 300 yds away, black cows are sorta hard to make out in the night unless you can really illuminate em well.

Tonights walk revealed a crittur down the drive when I got started, so I was watching it pretty close as I closed in from 250 yds and closer, turned out to be my brother’s new cat… not the skunk I was afraid it was. lol

The TR-J20? It was more of a because-I-can kind of thing. :slight_smile: Quad 9V MT-G2 emitters.

“Because I can ” is good enough; BTDT. I understand about the rest also.

L6 is a beast. For the price it’s unbeatable in its output and clobbering capabilities.

Here’s an animated gif comparing my only two XHP70 lights, the Acebeam K60t from “the” with a 5000 K 90 CRI emitter and the original L6 with a 6500 K 1C tint. Daylight white balance from the camera.

The K60 is a bit throwier but I’d say the overall output is quite similar at ~4000 lumens. Of course the high CRI XHP70 looks much nicer without a hint of green. I wonder what the L6 would look like with the same K4 90CRI led…

I just ordered another L6 from Simon with the N2 3A 5000 K emitter and will do the comparison again.

Very nice pictures, I really like the tint of the K60t. I have been trying to find a nice 5000k XHP70, I swapped my N4 1C (a bit to blue) to a N4 3A(a bit to green). Right now I am using a XHP50 5B :

Nice comparison! Thanks. I
’m looking forward to seeing the “original” vs. the 5000K emitter. Could you slow the animation a bit? Maybe add a second or two? No big deal if not it just makes it easier to drink in all the differences. Either way thank you. :+1:

2s
http://i.imgur.com/jaqtHCS.gif

3s
http://i.imgur.com/jaqtHCS.gif

Thanks! That 90 CRI 5000K is really nice.

My Convoy L6 came today and all the good comments were well deserved. This is a quality flashlight at a very good price for the consumer.

My appreciation to all that made this information available and the good people who manufactured and sold this product :slight_smile:

+1

My L6 too is the N2-3C; it is excellent.

FWIW, if Daylight Balance was used (which was stated) and the K60 has a daylight color emitter then it will show favorably in the shot, but the L6 not having the same tint will be more severely dealt with by the Daylight White Balance in the camera. So the question begs, what does the L6 look like in real life as compared to the K60? More blue/white I would assume, not green.

I have the higher color temp version and while not terribly put off by the bluish color of any of my lights I do see it as bluish and not green. I wonder if the green tint is uncompensated white balance from the foliage.

I tested the 2 KeepPower 5200maH protected 26650 cells from BangGood in the Opus 3100 (?) and got 5303maH and 5245maH capacity from them. I had to use a magnet to get one to make contact with the - charger electrode. but the slightly recessed* negative end of the cell is no problem in use in the L6.

• It actually appears to be that the shrink tube protrudes a hair much. (strange software, I can’t get it to produce an asterisk at the beginning of this line. Weird)