Convoy L6... XHP70 Beast!

Perspective.
The battery tube for my EDC cost $56 for the bar stock alone, not to mention the time on the lathe to produce it. This was a 3” long piece of Titanium Gr 5.
I know the price point gets more difficult to justify, but the Convoy L2/L6 lights are just exceptional lights, bar none.

Like I said it has to justify itself, if I can build something as good / better for the same, price, I will be building it myself.

I could not build an L6 for $50, so thus I bought one.

Has anyone bought the Convoy L6 XHP70 N4-3A from FastTech? im wondering if its really the n4-3a. Thats would mean 5000K light with the brightness of the 6000k one, right? However, I didn’t see it in the list of options on the first page so I am having doubts.

The N4-3A listed version is the review sample I have on the way from FT, it will probably be here next week.

Fwiw, the difference between N4 and N2 would be tough to tell by eye at these higher output levels.

I got my Impact double Super Clamp today, things a beast! Quite robust, all aluminum and well done finish. Heavier and larger than I would have thought. It’ll clamp on the center post below or above the head of the tripod, or even a leg. Even the huge TrustFire TR-J20 fits it easily. Gonna be very nice to be able to just clamp a light in and swap for comparison without disturbing the aim. :slight_smile:

I’m glad you mentioned this. To my knowledge Simon did not source any N4 3A emitters. It’s unlikely that a special deal was worked out though not impossible. I have contacted both Simon and Fasttech for clarification on this. If their listing is correct then that’s a sweet deal. If not, I have asked that it be corrected. The difference between the two would mean nothing to the average person but BLF is not comprised of average people and at the very least I want to see Convoy products listed accurately. I will post here when I have more info.

A daytime look at night things…

The tripod set up with Canon G1X on top, Impact double Super Clamp directly underneath the quick release plate and holding the L6 aimed at the red 55 gallon oil drum 97 yards away. It’s wicked hot, well over 100º, so all the grass is dying.

This set-up will allow a very easy and quick change of lights for comparison beam shots with very little hassle and should maintain precise positioning of the hot spot placement. :wink:

Sweet set up there Dale!!! :beer:

Wow what tripod is that? That thing looks legit.

Manfrotto?

That’s my “junk” tripod, a 7500 Pro from Best Buy some years back. Decent as far as tripods go, but my main tripod is a carbon fiber with Really Right Stuff midsize ball head and lever quick release plate. I use a Gitzo carbon fiber monopod the most though, also with a midsize ball head mounted on a pivot.

I think the 7500 Pro from Best Buy was around $60, probably 7 or 8 years ago. It’s the one I always use for beam shots. The Canon G1X is a semi-pro “pocket camera”, it’s got a large sensor for the small camera size and a pretty good lens, although Canon has improved the lens quality with a couple of new model variations since I bought it. The 7500 Pro is ok for this smaller camera but won’t hold my larger camera’s and lenses.

The Impact Double Super Clamp is nice robust aluminum, you can see by it’s comparative size to the L6 that it’s a robust and strong double clamp, with rubber inserts in the jaws. The large levers easily tighten down the cam style lever, which is spring loaded to keep it open against the threaded lever. I honestly had to pay attention when cranking down the lever, was worried I’d crush the aluminum tube of the tripod. They really are that strong! I think they’re rated to hold something like 30 lbs, seems very reasonable to me as they do give that appearance of being capable clamps.

I meant to get some beamshots with this set-up tonight but got to watching the Olympics… :wink:

Hi DB Custom. That ‘Impact’ clamp looks like a copy of the Bogen/Manfrotto 035 super-clamp :innocent:
That’s the same one l use my larger lights. Strong as ever; and you’re right….
Got to tighten the clamp carefully as it can exert a LOT of force on the flashlight body.

Totally agree… What I meant was $65-$70 before the much-loved discount coupon! :wink:
Just like how I got my L6: I’ve never had a better deal than that.
By far the best value I’ve ever had in a flashlight, bar none :innocent:

Im lost when it comes to batteries. Im completely new at this, so I think getting protected batteries would be a good idea. The recommended Keeppower batteries are not available for purchase right now. Would these “INR 26650 E Protected 4000mAh 3.7V Li-Lon ” http://www.banggood.com/2PCS-INR-26650-E-Protected-4000mAh-3_7V-Li-Lon-Rechargeable-Battery-p-917357.html
work with the Convoy L6?

I’m using the 4500 mAh version of the Keeppowers.

Thanks

I just ordered a pair using max’s discount code. $18,50 for the pair, not bad!

FYI: Was lazy and bridged the sensing resistors. Measured 7.3 Amps at tail (with Keeppower 5200 protected) and 80000 Cd (N2 bin).

I’m still waiting for the 69mm keeppowers come in stock :frowning: I thought they were supposed to be available on the 8th, but nothing as of yet.