Convoy L6... XHP70 Beast!

I’ve just accidently bought two protected Keepowers with recessed top contacts. They didn’t worked with my new L6, so I carefully cutted plastic ring of one battery (right in photo), putted it on the bottom and now it works great. What do you think about such solution?

Anyone have beamshots comparing the OP & SMO reflectors?

This is a VERY bad idea. That ring is there to keep the battery from shorting out.

See the raised portion in the middle is the positive terminal but everything else outside of that raised portion is the negative terminal. Anything that happened to touch those together would cause the battery to short out and not even the protection circuit would stop it.

A simple solder blob is FAR FAR FAR safer, and easier as well.

+ …. a bunch.
Cover that back up somehow. :slight_smile: Before you use it too……
Hopefully IF you have already used it since you posted the picture, it did not go……

You can buy shrink tubing for re-wraping cells on ebay, I highly recommend you geting some and not use the cell until you do. Putting it in a plastic case and/or the box it came in until you do that is best.

Example of what happens if you touch those areas together (note a bit of cussing):

Good video TA…… :+1:

Here is one more……….

Thanks for the video. I surely do buy the rewraping :smiley:

Smart move on your part. :+1: … :wink:

Fixed a bit, before rewraping arives… :smiley:

Thank you all for your advices for a newbie :slight_smile:

If it still fits in the light, that will work just fine. :+1:

:slight_smile:

Yes, fits quite easily :slight_smile:

Excellent, your good to go then. And safely too……. :wink:

YIKES!! Why did you do that? You just opened up a direct path to short -B to +B, and not even the protection circuit can help.

[EDIT] I’m a bit late, glad you didn’t blow anything up.

Wow I wondered how this thread had so many quick hits. I almost pooped myself when I saw that picture! :open_mouth: Yikes!

Glad that’s over with. Thanks TA and anyone else who jumped in. BLF saves the day. :+1:

Yeah… great job BLF’ers. That could have been REALLY UGLY.

I ordered my L6. Now I just have to work out what the heck I’m going to do with it in central London!

Yeah, thankfully I never had to do that except for testing, never for actual carry. For single-cell use, I use button-tops for flat-pad drivers, and flat-tops for drivers with soldered-on springs.

For testing, etc., no problem as it’s in a controlled environment, but carrying it around, it’s too easy for it to get jostled to a side and potentially short the positive end to the battery tube, or short + to - if the wrap’s defective in any way.

I think I’d slowly back away to a nice safe distance.

Two words: Bad Idea.

I have some of those and they’ve been fine in my L6, however, I recently got some of the 4200’s and they make a noticeable difference in output. If you’re willing to sacrifice some run time you might consider it.

I am not sure which cells you are talking about but the L6 uses a constant current buck driver that is more or less unaffected by cell choice.

There is a sweet spot at right around 7.8V input where the wattage jumps up a bit but for the rest of the usable range the wattage remains fairly stable.