Convoy L6... XHP70 Beast!

Nice! I never had a reason to doubt but it is nice to see. Thanks for sharing. :+1:

convoy L6 vs EagleTac MX25L3C XP-G2 3500….anyone?

Will be buying one or the other soon.

Wow, talk about completely different lights.

I don’t know anything about the eagletac but I would take the L6 over it for sure, cheaper, more output with the ability to get a whole lot more with a simple resistor mod. Plus the L6 should throw a lot further.

If you want a can light sign up for the Q8 GB, that will be the best can light going once it comes out.

I wonder if anyone else has had this problem. I already had a black L6 with the short protected 5200 Keeppower batteries. I recently received a clear L6, but the same batteries will not fit in the new clear L6. They’ll fit if I shove them in, but I’ don’t want to do that. I was going to order the same batteries, but now I’m hesitant.

Rookie question…can I try removing the black wrapping and sticker from the Keeppower batteries? There is another wrap underneath, right?

does anyone sell a premodded L6?

Thanks

Yeah, sorry….I’m still trying to get a handle on all this. So many flashlights…so many choices.
The L6 looks really good to me though. More of a thrower than the EagleTac.
Def now leaning towards the L6….especially since it’s a lot less expensive.

I’m not advanced enough yet to understand the modding tho. Seems these things are plenty bright out of the box. Why risk it?
I’m sure a year from now I’ll re-read this post and cringe for asking that….lol

I remember when I was young we had a boat that had a spotlight on it that would light up the shore for 5,000m or more. A lot of fun to play with as a kid.

yes…but you gotta pay to play.

http://asflashlights.com/convoy-flashlights/92-convoy-l6-3800-lumen-cree-xhp70-1a-and-3c.html#/99-include_batteries-no_thanks/101-include_charger-no_thanks/118-emitter_type-n2_3a_5000k/121-ultralux_package-boost_driver_current_30

Modding this particular light is really no risk, you simply stack a resistor on the existing bank and can get you 5000+ lumens from an otherwise stock light.

It is plenty bright out of the box though and for most people there will never be a need to change it.

I want to get some XHP50.2’s and I might toss one in my L6 since it should be a drop in swap. It should put out about the same lumens if my guess is right on it’s performance but with way better throw. Should even be able to use the SMO reflector without any donut hole.

Adventure Sports Flashlights should be ashamed of themselves.

But by increasing the output isn’t there some kind of price you pay in terms of longevity?
I thought over driving LEDS is what kills them quicker? (I’m a newb, go easy) :slight_smile:
And what if you snark the board while modding it? Does that ever happen or is modding a bullet proof thing?

Well, do you intend to use the light for 8 hours a day for 17 years straight? If so, then yes, the lifespan will be reduced, you might only get 12 years out of it.

I think it is safe to say that you won’t notice the difference in lifespan on the LED with a moderate increase in power. :wink:

The driver can fry but luckily it is only $5 to replace it, so not a big loss even if that happened. If you are careful with the soldering it should be fine though.

Completely agree, I pay less than half :money_mouth_face:

He shows u what to do to boost the power on the L6 on YouTube lol

Driver board replacement is cheap.

or

These LEDs have a lifespan of 50000 hours and pushing it a little bit will decrease that, but you are not leaving it on all day every day so it’s fine. Cheap fix if you mess up.

I’m still waiting on the R100 resistors to arrive…can’t wait.

I don’t agree with you guys at all. Matt, who runs ASF is a good guy. I got my light from him in 4 days as opposed to 2 to 4 weeks from China. Plus he has the videos of exactly how to do these mods so he’s definetly not trying to keep it a secret. Some people are just not into soldering so they would rather have someone else do it, and if Matt makes a mistake soldering and it fries the driver, he has spare drivers to fix it. He can even test the amp draw and output before and after so you know what your getting.

Now about the $35 price, once you figure the cost to ship your L6 out to another person or shop, have them do the mod and then ship it back, you might be looking at $35 or so total.

Now maybe if Mountain Electronics offered this service the competition might lower the prices some, but as far as I know, ASF is the only choice.

I bought a stock light from him and decided to add a resistor several months later myself using his video. So I don’t think he has anything to be ashamed of.

I would agree, while $35 is a little high it is not unreasonable for a custom mod to a light.

If I was doing it I would charge at least $25 for it if not $30. Put simply time is money.

The beauty of a free market is that if you don’t want to spend that much or if you have the ability to do it yourself, you are welcome to get it somewhere else as many do.

Those that don’t want to do it themselves on the other hand have a good option to get the mod done.

I’m interest to know this too. Have u got one on order yet TA?

Not yet, just have not had the funds to spare and I keep hoping that a domestic distributor will get them in stock. The only place I have seen them for sale is KD at this point.

Ok, thanks for the explanation. I have a lot to learn here but someday I’ll graduate from Noob

Ordered my L6 on the 7th, paid $3 for IB, showed up on the 10th. Holy caw Gearbest! New record (live in NYS). Damn, I see why this light is so highly regarded. Really nice fit and finish AND man is this thing powerful!!