Convoy L6... XHP70 Beast!

What about the risk of battery damage and shorter run times from increasing current flow?
Anything to be concerned with there?

I did a post about 5 days ago where I added an R082 resistor to the stock driver. I used it like I normally do for my work, which is always short amounts of turbo and at the end of the week the batteries where at their normal 3.8 volts. Before the mod normal was 3.6v to 3.8v so I’m not noticing any real drop in run time, which is great. I still recharge it once a week like normal.

In theory you will have reduced battery run time assuming you use it a lot on turbo, but in reality you don’t want to run the batteries down to the protected cutoff voltage. You want to recharge them when you can. If your gonna use turbo a lot, you might want to have an extra pair of batteries so you can swap them in while the first pair recharge. It just all depends on how you use the light.

How would you think the battery could get damaged? If it’s a protected cell the the protection circuitry will only pass a certain amount of current. My protected 5200 mah KeepPowers should be good up to 10 amps. With the resistor mod I think the amp draw goes from stock 5.25 to between 7 and 8 amps. So no worries there. The amp draw circuitry will not be kicking in.

In fact, the only thing I’ve noticed is that the light is brighter and it gets a little warmer. That’s all. It’s a great mod.

If the LED is rated to burn for 50,000 hours and you cut that by 50%, you’ll still have 25,000 hours of run time.

Modding comes with risks, of course. Frying things is part of it, it’s a learning curve. Isn’t it true though that anything worth doing comes with enough risk to give pride in the accomplishment?

I’m not concerned…I have over 20 flashlights to use! LOL

Convoy store is back up, but no L6 short tube yet :frowning:

lumiere, are you looking for a short tube that replaces the long tube? To make your L6 a single 26650 or 2 cell 26350? I have a couple of those if you’d like one. Re-discovered them yesterday while looking for something else. :wink:

And I have short tubes on the way here from Mitko, whether they are stand alone short tubes or extensions I cannot say at this moment. I’ll make those available when they arrive. Pretty sure he told me he fit 12 of them in the box.

Welp, I'm now a proud member of the Convoy L6 owners club :-)

Should arrive early next week

Same here and looking for some smo reflectors:(

Just speak it out loud. Maybe Simon can hear you. :slight_smile:

Very relevant question: does anybody know of a store that would sell the L6 plus two good 26650s, and ship it (not within the US) with the cells inside the torch? Seems like it’s the only way I can get one without paying over 60 dollars for shipping because of li-ion battery restrictions, since nobody ships them by boat :cry:

Helps if you tell us which country you are in!

That’d be Brazil. Australia and other countries are in the same pickle.

My God, 128 pages, 3833 posts, and no answer.

1. No Runtime graph
  2. Connectivity Convoy L6 scheme 3s1p

Your first post? Welcome to BLF.

BTW Runtime graph is in this thread, young padawan.
Why do you need 3s1p?

I think that there is no Flat Runtime when 2S1P. I need a stable turbo to 3-3.2v Battery.

There are a few good li-ion sellers in Australia, so we are not in the same pickle. Maybe selling li-ion cells in Brazil is a business opportunity?

Just received my brand new Convoy L6 a few minutes ago. From China to my door in 4 days! Great job GB !!!

5000K version
Very high quality look and feel. The Convoy brand name is indeed on the light below the side button.
1lb 10oz or 725grams (with 2 x 3500mAh batteries)…enough weight be a defensive weapon.
A bit big and heavy to pocket carry. Would love a holster for it tho.
Beautiful light, well balanced……so far ecstatic that I bought it.

The output is indeed intense. Not a thrower imo…more like a very good flood light with about a 150-200m useable range?
For walking in a dark area this will definitely bring daylight to your immediate surroundings and ahead a bit.
It would probably light up a cave nicely or a forest. Brighter than most car headlights by a good bit I’d say.

There is a smooth reflector available for it and I wonder how that changes the beam? I would guess more toward throw.

A nice heavy lanyard for it is the only thing I’d like to add. Anyone know where to get the perfect lanyard for the L6?

If you want LOTS of light in your immediate area and ahead a few hundred feet, this is an excellent choice.

Wondering how you got the light today when the Post Office is closed, any expedited shipping from UPS or FEDEx would be expected to be quicker, so the congrats to Gear Best for a ~7 day turnaround seems odd. Just saying…

Yep, the L6 is a great all purpose light, probably the best bang for the buck available today. The smooth reflector is really a no-go with the stock emitter, it’s intended for modders who want to change emitters to something that will throw and needs the mirror finish. That said, the stock orange peel reflector goes perfectly with the XHP-70 and output is really up there. A simple resistor mod really makes it purr! :slight_smile:

DHL baby, DHL!
4 freakin days from China to my door!