Convoy L6... XHP70 Beast!

Seeing the L6 is already listed on taobao - see post #456 from tzmxxhh, i’m ready to pull the trigger as soon as it hits BG… or Simon’s shop on AE.

May i ask the code for the BLF discount on both sites?

I have the S70 (with clear button voltage indicator) and it’s been very impressive and trouble-free for the last few months. That said, I’m still watching this thread to see how the final product performs. I doubt such a small difference in reflector size (especially OP) will show a difference. I do like the full, un-tapered fins on the S70, and the “blocky” head, which subjectively may not be as attractive to some - but it definitely manages the XHP70 heat well.

My thoughts on all of the things brought up here and what I know…

Does the Thorfire come with more extras?

Yes, the S70 does come with a few more extras. Are those extras useful to me? Not so far…maybe someday, but not likely and if the need ever does arise they can be had for a dollar or two.

The S70 comes with a sturdy strap if you want to carry over your shoulder. I’ve tried using it and found it completely impractical, bordering on ridiculous and it just clinks around and gets in the way if you’re actually trying to use the flashlight. That said, if someone wants to carry a honkin huge flashlight like a purse more power to ’em. :wink: The L6 does not have an attachment point for a sling.

The L6 doesn’t come with 18650 adapters for good reason. It is not wise to use 18650 cells in a setup like this. It would drain them far too quickly. The L6 does not have SOS. This was intentional. It was my idea not to have it actually so if you’re not happy about that you can blame me. Personally I’ve never found it to be anything but a nuisance but that’s just my opinion.

Thorfire is a marketing company. I’m not saying extras aren’t cool but I prefer extras like stock spring bypasses, better mode spacing and the inclusion of both a tactical ring and hidden ring.

The extras may not be useful to you, but it’s obviously better to have extras than not having them.

True, it is better to use 26650 batteries. But it is also true that in certain situations, have 18650 adapters can be very useful …

Again, you can not like the SOS mode, but it is an utility that if comes hide, is not
annoying and can be very useful in an emergency.

If we talk about the belt, once again, you are talking about your tastes. What for you would may seem ridiculous, for someone else can be useful …

Spring bypasses, the only advantage we could consider for Convoy. That and the tint led for who it considers important.

¿Tactical ring? i don’t Understand, Thorfire S70 has removable tactical ring.

¿Better mode spacing? What?

Convoy modes L6:

Low - 50mA
Med - 200mA
High - 1700mA
Turbo - 5000mA

Thorfire S70 modes:

Low - 65 lumens
Med - 320 lumens
High - 1800 lumens
Turbo - 3000 lumens (actually more than 4000)

Mode spacing is very similar. Almost identical.

Excuse me Miguel but you comparing capacity with light output. And this numbers are in mA at the L6 correctly but also not comparable to lumens.
J-Dub can you correct in the OP? there is also mAh written not mA

I compare this numbers because we don´t have other.

But if you calculate, modes would be very similar.

Doing some simple calculations, which obviously will not be 100% reliable, modes on Convoy L6 would be these:

Low – 40 lumens
Med – 160 lumens
High – 1360 lumens
Turbo – 4000 lumens

Thorfire S70 modes:

Low – 65 lumens
Med – 320 lumens
High – 1800 lumens
Turbo – 4000 lumens

Anyhoo… I think the L6 looks great, whereas the S70 is OK’ish. Good thing we soon have a choice eh? :wink:

I created this thread for the L6 five months ago. Your first post in this thread was today and you open with “I do not understand the much excitement with this flashlight. In my opinion the Thorfire S70 is better”. You are welcome to your opinion of course but there are better ways to start a friendly conversation.

The S70 is a solid light. No doubt about it. However, I am still very excited about the L6 and can’t wait to have one in my hands. There is no way to do a side-by-side until a few of us actually have both lights. I don’t wish to get into a debate about this. Let’s just wait and see what the L6 has to offer. This is after all the L6 thread…

Ok, I think it’s perfect. It is the thread of the Convoy L6 and perhaps it is not fair to talk about other flashlight. Only say that this has become a debate because all of you responded to my message. A greeting.

Thank you. Fixed in the OP. :blush:

LOL. Nobody is claiming perfection. Lights should be compared and I have no problem with comparing the S70 to the L6 as they are similar in several ways. It’s a big part of what BLF does so well but you can’t truly compare two lights when one has been on the market for several months and the other is just being released. A true comparison is not yet possible but within a few weeks we’ll have a better idea how these lights stack up against each other. Aside from performance and output most of the rest just falls down to preference. I think both lights will have their fans and some fans will prefer one over the other but even now I think it’s safe to say both will offer a very good value and a lot of lumens per dollar. :slight_smile:

This is an interesting topic!
I appreciate all the hard work going into this.
and EDIT cut the rest away, not helping.

I like that SOS is removed… any idea on how quick is the double click for strobe? Does it get into the way when changing modes?

Thanks for all the work J-Dub, can’t wait for it to come up. Personally I could care less about strobe, SOS, and voltage blinking.

+1 Million! :wink:

+1 also. I’m looking forward to at least two.

The number one reason why I don’t buy a light, is all the irritating blinky and flashy modes. I own the S 70 and all of the extras in the box didn’t do much for me. I will never use the shoulder strap. I don’t like colored buttons. If I need to replace an O-ring I will use something better than what came with the light. I have never needed to replace a glass lens but have replaced a few scratched up plastic ones. Other than that the S 70 is one of my favorites. The L6 is clearly a better looking light though. Won’t have much else to say about it till I have one.

L6 wins beauty contest hands down! :heart_eyes: Naked (clear anodized) will be hotter than :smiling_imp: (the suns surface!) :innocent: “J-Dub” you da :crown: !!! :smiley:

Is there s reason it’s in sale in China but we can’t get it yet? Jdub?

Patience will be rewarded with refinement.
I would be thrilled with the option of a neutral to warm high CRI emitter.