Convoy L6... XHP70 Beast!

Yes, I know what you mean - I’ve often wished for the same arrangement with 2x or 4x AAA’s for a compact EDC light.
Interesting idea to scale it up to 18650’s. I’m guessing it would be trickier (i.e. more expensive) to machine/manufacture an oval “tube”, but it should be do-able. It would also offer the advantage of orienting your hand so it’s easier to find the side switch (which is one of my few minor grips with the L6, or any cylindrical light with an unobtrusive side switch).

Anyone get a 5A or 7C yet? I am finding my 3A a bit too cool for my liking would like to see how they compare.

My L6 came in today. I’m loving it.

I have a pair of Protected EVVA 26650 5200mah I bought from mountain electronics about 6 months ago. I didn’t think they would fit because they are on the longer side (one measures 71.1mm and the other one is 70.9mm), but to my surprise they fit with a extra mm or two to spare. I’m surprised because I had to modify my UF1405 to get them to fit in that flashlight.

Its still pretty close, and the cells seem to vary a little. It worked out for me though, and I like that the springs are compressed with no battery rattle at all.

I went with the 5000K tint from Gearbest. I compared it with my supfire m6 mod 2 5d3 tint from Richard. The lumen output and beam profile is almost identical except for the tint difference, and the hotspot on the M6 is a tad bigger.

Did you measured the difference in output between xhp35/xhp70 and their dedomed version ?
Also , how you dedomed xhp70 ? Hot gas ?

One thing worrisome about them fitting “pretty close” is the fact that the tighter the fit the more chance of damaging both the driver and tail cap switch components from excessive pressures.

Did you measured the difference in output between xhp35/xhp70 and their dedomed version ?
Also , how you dedomed xhp70 ? Hot gas?

No not yet, I just thru it into one of my JAX X6’s just to see if it would even work? It does! Comparing it to the P2 1C (6-6500K) tint, this thing looks to be 11-1200K maybe higher? It has a blue hue to it, no green. But I’m going to put the de-domed XHP70, in one of my SD75’s when I get the time. Then I’ll check it.

The de-domed XHP35 was going to go into my T90-2 but there’s a bug in the new 4S driver (s) so I have to send it back for further testing and tuning. But if the Smooth reflector for the L6 ever get made I’ll try it out in that, the LD-2 M2 is tested and the emitter is seeing 2.5 amps.

No hot gas. I read that the slower the better, as not to pull phosphor off with the dome. I use VP Racing Fuel C14+ because that’s what I run my Drag Bikes on, and I have plenty of it! :smiley: It took about 5 days and they turned out really good. The compound that holds these XHP domes on is some tough stuff?

Just a quick update:

Most tints are still sold out in the Convoy store but Simon does have some 3A and 1C left and more are on the way.
It looks like the L6 host should be available in roughly ten days. I’m waiting on the details. I’m hoping we may have the smooth reflector for the host release but I don’t have confirmation of that yet. Once I have all the details I’ll add another update here and in the OP.

Quick look on Simon’s site and N2 5A tint is only one showing not available

That’s pretty high for 2 cells isn’t it?

I have a contact at the factory who manufactures those cells for Keeppower, and I think the last time I got a quote on new cells the cost was less than $10 US each.

ETA: I see EJ has already posted about the cells I’m talking about, thats where Keeppower gets their cells, EVVA. So whats’s the consensus? I see “too tight” and “barely fit”…

I was working on a collecting parts for Mag XHP50/XHP70 build, but now I can’t decide if I should build or just buy the L6, you guys are making it awfully hard to build!

I can’t get the motivation to get out to the shop and fire up the lathe. By the time one figures parts and tooling cost, wiring and electronics, not to mention time spent, it’s more economical to buy. I keep coming back to this thread like a moth to a flame lol.

-Michael

I see the same. Perhaps the Ali system isn’t updated? I’m just going by what Simon told me last night. :question: I’ll mention the potential quantity discrepancy the next time I talk to him. Thanks.

After battery searching for the L6, I have to ask why the L6 battery tube was made for less than 70mm length cells?

The majority of the latest 5200ma cells are 69-71 mm in length + or minus .5mm. Since lithium cells in series is a risk factor you have to ask why the battery tube was designed not to accomodate the latest protected cells which require extended length from the get go with their protective circuits.

Was this an oversight in development?

Will there be an “improved” longer battery tube? Or is spring modding an alternative?

That price seems about average from what I’ve seen but I imagine a better deal can be found elsewhere.
Here’s the info I’ve gathered and my take on the cells:
That $10 price I would guess is just for the base cell.
I believe that KeepPower and EVVA both use the same base 5200mAh cell.
Neither company manufactures the cells.
Both companies buy the base cells and add protection circuits, button tops, etc. and rewrap the cells.
The older cell comes out to over 71mm with the protection circuit and button top added.
KeepPower is now using a newer version of that 5200mAh cell that is shorter coming in around 69.5mm after the protection and button top are added but you still see the older KP cell sold too.
EVVA as far as I know has not switched over to the newer base cell yet or at least it hasn’t hit the market that I am aware. I contacted Richard at Mountain a while back about this and he was going to talk to his EVVA contact about it but I haven’t heard back from him.

I know a few people are using the longer KP cells but with a mixed bag of results. Some say it’s a little tight but it works fine and some have had driver issues because it’s smashing everything and switching to shorter cells resolved the driver issue. There will be minute variations in length in the older KP 5200s that will allow some to get away with it but personally I would not risk it. My advice is still to avoid cells over 70mm. There are several cells that fall into that category. If you go for the KeepPower just check with the seller to see if they’re selling the latest version. I believe the newer shorter ones say “Ver.: 2015” on the label but verify as I’m going on memory. Hope that helps…

I wondered the same at first. After a bit of back and forth with Simon I learned that it was indeed designed to use the latest 5200mAh protected cell, specifically the KeepPower 5200mAh protected cell. He was actually surprised that so many places are selling the old version. Simon and many other sites carry the newer KP cells that measure under 70mm. Simon’s store unfortunately can only ship lithium cells to Russia at the moment though. Several places are selling the newer cell though not all of them have updated their listings so you should check with the seller. Personally I’m using the King Kong 26650 cells that also measure under 70mm.

If you take the L6 as a host,what mod could you make so as to produce a powerful flashlight,with a lot of throw?

So, their exists a “niche” for KP 5200ma 26650 protected “shorty” cells for Richard at Mt.Electonics. Maybe he will acquire some and put this issue to rest for those that prefer to get them in US.

My choice would be, smooth reflector + XHP35 HI led + LD51 1.5A boost driver.

You could find a couple 2x26x31mm copper sealing rings and space out your tube and cap. I use them to time the flats on battery tubes, like the S70, I hate when the flats aren’t square to the e-switch. You can get a real tight fit seeing they are made of copper, they smash easily, and grow in diameter, for a custom tight fit! And I make driver adapter’s out of them too! I have seen them on Amazon also……M26 Copper Washer 26mm x 31mm x 2mm Metric Sealing Ring

My l6 came yesterday and that thing is a beast. With the op reflector it still has a tighter beam then the s70 as soon as smo is released I’ll be buying one for this light. I don’t mind a small donut ring. At a distance its not even noticeable. Ad far as batteries go the thorfire protected 26650s work great in it. I have evva unprotected batteries that fit perfectly as well. I ran both sets last night to check for issues. There was none I could tell. The light should have low voltage protection. Didn’t wait to see it kick in. When I pulled the evva out one cell was 3.36 the other was 3.40 so it seems to be a fairly close draw on the batteries your experience may vary though. On the thorfires. One cell was 3.55 the other 3.6 so close enough together for me. Thorfire are 18.99 on amazon and they fit and run perfectly in both the l6 and s70 for me. And had more than 5000mah capacity on my charger and stopped it at 2.8 and not 2.5 They are decent batteries in my opinion. Charge cycles I have no idea but they are protected and small enough for this light. They are rated at 10amps continuous draw. The battery guru here did a review on them I believe. This is another option for people besides keep powers that want protected

I remember from a L6 review that using the tactical rng AND the ring covering the thread when its not used makes the tube longer…. So maybe doing it like this is an unintended way to fit longer cells :slight_smile: