Convoy L6... XHP70 Beast!

But with anodized threads the light won’t work that way.

ah ok, never mind then

Got my L6, and BOY is it nice. Don’t regret getting the 5A tint. WOW is it a great tint. It feels much sleeker and smaller than the S70 because of it’s rounded design.
One thing I’m going to change is the tailcap switch. It mushy and honestly not very pleasing to use. That’s the only thing I prefer about the S70. But the L6 will get used over the S70 every time. It’s just sooo much nicer to handle the L6.

My only complaint is that the retaining ring for the side-switch is CHEWED up. And the anodizing around the side-switch is very scuffed. I also had a chip on the bezel. That’s a big bummer. :weary:

If you know of places that have the newer cells and ships them internationally, please do tell.

Excellent input as always KB! :+1: :beer:

Well then you’ll be happy to know that the XHP35-HI was the emitter we chose to design the smooth reflector for. :wink:
I think that would be amazing in a smooth reflector L6 build. Still waiting on confirmation but when Simon and I were discussing the ultimate thrower design for an L6 host we both agreed the XHP35-HI was the perfect target emitter. :+1:
I should have more news on the host soon. :beer:

It puts a big smile on my face to see another story of L6 happiness. :smiley:
It does indeed have a tighter beam than the S70 and it’s the first production XHP70 light I have seen that doesn’t have a dark cross or donut hole in the beam. That really impressed me.

The L6 does have low voltage protection. It should kick in right around 6V. The reason for recommending protected cells is just a general concern for public safety. Not everyone knows the proper protocol for handling lights that use two or more cells in series. The extra safety factor there is a nice comfort and with this current controlled driver there is no benefit from higher drain unprotected cells. I’ve heard a few people mention the Thorfire protected cells work well in the L6. There are a handful of EVVA cells that work nicely here too. Lots of good options really just shoot for under 70mm. :+1:

Any idea when Simon will get the L6 back in stock? It's a week now past the date he's got posted. What about the 5A tint?

FWIW, I put an XHP-35 in a MaxTOCH Shooter 2X using the LD-2 driver modified for 4 cells. It does 2.87A at the emitter, makes 2346 lumens, and throws 326.25Kcd. Punchy rascal and I like it, don’t care much for using 4 18650’s as it’s pretty long, but the 35 performs well and should really rock in the L6. :wink:

Oh yeah, it’s actually doing 14.75V at the emitter in Turbo.

Thanks for the tip.
I have to far to go with the 4X 26650 Efest 3500mAh.

I have more than a few of these 30X26X0.5mm and 30X25X1mm. These buggers aren’t that easy to find. And who wants to pay big money on shipping something so small. I might try a couple for a 26mm driver adapter. The shelf/lip isn’t big but it is hard know untill you try. The 25mm I.D. is the thicker of the two and I would assume would hold up. I am willing to part with a few if anyone wants to PM me. No charge. A very small PIF. Simmon was already kind enough to help me with a few 17mm to 20mm adapters for the L2. Thanks again Simon.

Hope this helps.

Not such good news for my XHP35 buck plans.

That is the one thing that kills me about the XHP35. Is there no other option than using four cells? I guess driver tech just isn’t there yet?
Dale, brother you know way better than I so “illuminate” me. :smiley:

Neat trick Kawi! Thanks!

I asked him about that just last night and I’ve just sent a repeat request for the same. His response last night was that he has the 5000K and 6000K L6 in stock but in 10 days he should have the host in stock. I have asked him to clarify as that could mean many things. In the last email I sent him I did specifically mention the 5A you were asking about. I’ll post here as soon as I have more.

I took out the tailcap switch and it felt like there was a bit of debris in there. I blew in it while clicking it on and off vigorously and it feels much nicer now. Maybe its all in my head too lol but it feels pleasant. It’s getting dark, so can’t wait to go out and use it!

In response to each of these comments…
L6: Glad you like it! I’d like to see the 5A tint for myself.
Tailcap switch: That was my first beef with the S70 and I agree the L6 feels a wee bit “mushy” too though I thought it was less than the S70 but that’s just my opinion. I’m wondering what the answer is here. I don’t think it’s the switch at all in the case of the L6 but if you disagree please elaborate. Personally, I think the boot manufacturers are using thinner molds now to save a few pennies though I’d like others to comment on this. If the switch boot were a bit thicker I don’t think the S70 or the L6 would feel mushy. Please comment.

As far as anything chewed up, chipped or scuffed just take a few pictures and contact Simon. He takes good care of his customers. :beer:

I blew into the switch and felt that little particles came out. It’s MUCH nicer now. No longer so mushy. Could be improved, but now it’s as good as any decent feeling switch. I prefer it over the S70. :smiley:

I’ll contact simon. It’ll be cool if I could get another retaining ring for the side switch. I’m willing to pay for it. Thanks for the advice!

No Streamer had a problem with long batteries short tube, use the copper washers to lengthen the tube in his situation? Your situation your going to need the Efest 4200’s OR solder blob your batteries? I run 4 Basens in mine no problem or 4 26500’s , with the 2x26650 tube and an extension. I had to solder blob the 26500’s because they wouldn’t make contact with each other being flat tops! You might have the same problem? EDIT: You can find these Hydraulic Sealing rings at a Parker/Exotic Hydraulic Industrial store too, the 2x26x31mm usually in stock or they ship from store to store.

A couple of my convoys start blinking low voltage at 3,6
Then I have a short moment on a low mode before the blinking starts again.
Here I read the L6 goes down to 3v per cell before doing so.
But I have not read how it behaves then… Really want to know this
Since here it seems the S70 has a major advantage with showing cell status all the time and giving at least half an hour of light on low after low voltage protection has kicked in on high (I got 32 minutes of extra runtime on low using modest 2300mAh cells)
And in actual use I find having half an hour extra on top of knowing the cell status all the time big plusses.
I mean yeah for a short burst or inspection flash it doesn’t matter but the other day I had to do something and didn’t know how long it was going to take. Saw the orange switch put in two other cells (a fully charged pair of mere 1200mAh cells, stupid choice I figured when the switch turned orange after just half an hour ;)) So saw the cell status switched to MED and in useless used it for little over an hour until I was done.
I fear that in the se situation the L6 would have started blinking and become useless.
I so like the design of the L6, warm feelings towards Simon and how the L6 had come to life so really trying to find an angle to make it a useful thing to have the L6, help!

That's good and bad - he still says the L6 is not in stock here: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Convoy-L6-flashlight-XHP70-led-inside/330416_32659785735.html, and the 5A tint cannot be ordered - it's disabled, cannot be selected ??

I'll try ordering an L6 again, but before he never responded to my message, so I cancelled the L6 order.