Convoy L6... XHP70 Beast!

I’ve read many threads and seen the beam shots…

It seems that the L6 and S70 are very similar in many regards. For those of you who currently own both lights, max lumens aside, may I trouble you to weigh in on your personal preference and why.

Thanks!

I prefer the L6 because of its better mode spacing, feel, superior build quality, and it’s no-stepdown high mode.
I have both the S70 and L6.

The in-hand feel of the L6 beats the S70 both in balance, and in weight. The S70 is very head heavy. The L6 is almost perfectly balanced. The knurling of the L6 beats the smooth ridges on the S70 by a huge margin. It makes the tube feel slimmer and easier to grab, especially because there’s no logo flat on the tube like on the S70. It has an AR lens, while the S70 does not.

Throw is almost the same, though the L6 beats the S70 slightly.
I measured 517 meters from the L6, and 496 meters from the S70.
The L6 has a perfect hotspot, and the S70 shows a doughnut hole.

Also, build quality is different.

From an earlier post of mine:

The S70 has a shiny anodization that feels a bit cheap (ok, really cheap). Which is weird because it’s younger brother, the S50, has incredible anodization.
The S70 is riddled with sharp edges. The place where the body meets the threads that connect to the head have already cut two o-rings. The cooling fins don’t have a bevel at the edges. Even the tailcap has these long ovals machined that are sharp feeling (although provide good grip to remove the tailcap). The removable ring is also a bit sharp to hold. There’s lots of small pits and dents throughout the aluminum body.

In use, none of those things are a problem. My biggest complaint is the shiny ano though. Most of the sharp edges aren’t felt by the hand unless you purposely try and feel for them, but they’re there.

The L6 on the other hand is freaking incredible. Every edge has a bevel to it, so there’s no sharpness to be felt. The anodizing is perfect. It’s not as matte as a Convoy/Thorfire C8, and not as shiny as a standard quality ano. And the knurling is so well done, it beats the pleasure ridges on the S70 by a lot.

The S70 has it’s place. I’d only give an L6 to people that are well informed about the use of lights (basically just me). If I was gifting a light to anyone else not informed (basically everyone I know), it’d be the S70. The turbo timer and battery indicator are awesome features.

Hi,

I own both lights too. The L6 wins in terms of look and feel, it´s true that the S70 is quite top-heavy. On the other hand the carrying strip is a big advantage (for me!) You can strap in on your back and have your hands free.

The anodizing is different on both lights, but I wouldn´t say the anodization of the S70 is of inferior quality, it´s just different. The L6 has a much better grip though, the S70 is a bit more slippery. Both lights feel very solid but the S70 is build like a tank! The included accessories (free lens!) are a nice bonus.

The S70 has better tail and side switches IMHO and the advantage of the permanent charging indicator.
The two major advantages of the L6 are the tint selection (S70 is only available in CW, hello ThorFire ?!?) and the missing step down.

To be honest I don´t care too much about the mode spacing. I´ve never used the low mode if the L6. If I choose to carry such a big light i´m in need of BIG LUMENS so I run it on high and/or turbo.

Comparing the S70 directly to the L6 I have (5000k) the S70 wins output wise, it´s just the slightly brighter light. Both of my lights are stock with no mods.

If I had to choose between those two I´d probably select the L6 just because of the available 5000K tint, better balance and the missing turbo stepdown.

HTH,
K.

I noticed comments above the L6 has LVP that kicks in at 5.7v.

Is there any good reason against using unprotected IMR cells such as these?: 26650 Efest Purple 5200mAh IMR26650 High Discharge Flat Top

I switched to unprotected cells many years ago and never had a single issue, I really don’t see the need for protected cells if you know what’s in your light and know how to properly handle them. I have 4x Liitokala 26650 on the way for the L6, considered the best 26650 cell at the moment for its cost/performance balance.

I say just pick the light that has your favorite design and put a fet in it.

Are these batteries flat tops?
Do you make a solder point on top for serial stack in the L6?

Jescereal summed up my feeling on both lights pretty much word for word. I have both. I like both. Since my L6 arrived though I simply don’t use my S70 anymore because I like the L6 that much more. In showing my wife both side-by-side and her knowing nothing about flashlights (other than mine are really bright :sunglasses: ) she said the shiny one (the S70) looks “cheaper” just based on the finish. The one thing I’ll give to the S70 is the light up switch makes it easier to change modes in the dark and the battery indicator function is nice. Simon and I are discussing a lit side switch for a future L6 update. Turbo timer I could personally care less about but if we can work it into the UI so it comes with a turbo timer that’s on by default but can be turned off by the user then it too can be factored into a future update.

I’m not sure how much my opinion counts as president of the Convoy fan club but there it is. :slight_smile:

Are there any pics comparing the size of the L2 and L6 with other lights? I checked some reviews, but couldn’t find any.

Size comparison:
Sunwayman C22C vs Convoy L6 vs Convoy C8

Convoy L2 vs Convoy L6

No L6, but L2 with a Mission M12 and Manker U21:

To tell you the truth, I'd prefer seeing some sort of labeling/branding/model name on all lights instead of the clean look. To me the impression is more negative than positive not having branding. It can be subtle - that's fine.

L6 head doesn’t look that much bigger than the L2 in that pic.

In another angle:

How do you take the driver out? I got the brass ring out it was really tightened down but the driver seems stuck and won’t move.

I found them for about $16/pair on ebay/tomtop shop.

Thanks for posting this link to the comparator, at 0.2A / 2A / 5A the curves are nearly identical to the KP.

Thanks, I’ve been using unprotected more lately, I’m pretty anal on checking/charging, but I still prefer protected cells in my lights that don’t have LVP, just in case I accidentally leave it on, which I’ve done before.

……………….

……………….

Yes, very true at around 4000mAh and half the price of the Efest purple 5200mAh.

I looked at these because of the low price, in the reviews they were reported well under their rated capacity, one reviewer stated they tested at about 4000mAh, which again, isn’t bad for their price. I may have to get some,

here’s a link: http://www.gearbest.com/batteries/pp_360840.html

…………………

I’ll also have to research the Efest purple 5200mAh and see how they rate in terms of their rated capacity.

In some of the photos just posted here the L6 looks HUGE, a monster indeed! One of the reasons I’m getting it. At 72mm head dia. it will be the largest head single reflector flashlight I own, another reason is it will be my first XHP70.

I really want to see what this big reflector with a XHP70 LED will do.

……………….

……………….

I think if it wasn’t for having it powered by 266650’s it could be more compact with a “soup can” design with 3 or 4 18650.

At 77.24mm the diagonal cross section of my Black Shadow Terminator’s head array is larger than the head of the L6 and the terminator seems like a pretty compact size light, it measures 63.4mm side to side across the head array.

Good question, I’d also like to know, from the photos they don’t appear to have the “raised” flat top to work in series like the Efest purple and some of the others do. I guess you could use a small round magnet instead of soldering.

The liitokalas are very flat top batteries. They did not make contact in series. I use magnets between them in my L6 without any issues.

Thank you for posting this photo.

I ordered the Mission 12 from Mountain Electronics and it was back ordered for some time. It was is longer being shown to order from Mountain Electronics.

With the release of the Convoy L6 and Manker U21 the flashlights for the 26650 battery are now a different decision.