Convoy S2+ LH351D/SST20

That’s actually my next step, any recommendations?

Aside from a rewrapped recycled Crapfire cell, any decent cell is fine. VTCs vs 30Q vs HGs vs MJs… all good cells, but unless you’re dropping ’em into a MT09R or something, they’ll all work fine.

“Oh, but I can wring out 6.3A from my VTC6 instead of 6.1A from a 30Q…” Big deal. Difference in current is negligible, brightness even more negligible. At some point you’d just be pushing out more heat than light, eg, 30% more heat for maybe 5% more light. Visually indistinguishable.

In a S2+ or any normal light that won’t set your house on fire, any decent and quality cell will be fine. For me, 30Qs are my go-to cells. And yeah, only in my MT09R do I have some VTCs, and that’s just because they’re supposta have less internal resistance and thus wouldn’t heat up internally as much if turboed.

Convoy sells good batteries on Aliexpress as well, sometimes even as a bundle with a flashlight (and they have top end 18650 cells like Sanyo 18650GA3500mAh, LG MJ1 or Samsung 35E - they’re equally good). Sadly there’s no bundle with SST20 based S2+ listed (there is with LH351D but it has a different driver) but Simon from Convoy is quite elastic, I think you should ask him (here or just use “contasct seller” form on Aliexpress) wether he could sell you a bundle of S2+ SST20 with 18650 battery.

Once again - would you prefer a SST20 emitter which is less bright but offers more concentrated beam, or LH351D which is brighter but more floody?

So we have a Convoy S2+ with 6x7135 driver:

You have to decide wether you want to stay with SST20 emitter or go for brighter (with the same power consumption and runtime) LH351D. If you decide to swap - that’s the first thing to ask Simon/Convoy. Second thing to ask for - the battery bundle.

I think I will stick with the SST20 with 6x7135 driver. Thanks again for all the information, will have a look at the batteries on his site and can make my choices from there.

I've tried the Convoy S2+ SST20, but haven't tried the Convoy S2+ LH351D variant yet..

Posting some beamshots of S2+ with SST20....

I have the Wurkkos FC11 with LH351D also in warm color temperature, although it's not exactly the same flashlight as the S2+, I think it's a bit fairly close in terms of size as the S2+

(although S2+ reflector and FC11 reflector are slightly different, which can also affect the beam throw/focus and floodiness)

Some beamshots for reference (taken at around the same distance from the opposite wall, using the same camera settings -- the same camera is always used for taking these shots and manually set to the same setting; the distance may slightly change since sometimes I stand a little bit to the left or right and hold the flashlights with my hands only):

Convoy S2+ with SST20 (and also XPL-Hi), all are "7135x8" variants,LED & color temperatures as labeled:

~~~~~~~~~

Wurkkos FC11 (Samsung LH351D) beamshots

I think it's easy to see that the SST20 has a much smaller hotspot than the LH351D... although the reflector of the different flashlight has a slight effect too..

Wurkkos FC11 LH351D 2700k [left] vs Wurkkos FC11 LH351D 4000k [right]

There’s nothing to look at - they’re the best 18650 batteries on the market right now. It’s the matter of asking Convoy to make a bundle with S2+ on SST20 so you won;t have to pay for shipping twice (also shipping a battery in a flashlight will cause less legal issues).

If you choose to go SST-20 route, may I suggest you also get a 45º TIR optics to try. SST-20, even with OP reflector is a bit too throwy for me to use as a general-purpose light.

With this TIR and SST-20 4000K with 6x7135 the light is good for 20-30m.

Wow! This is such a great community with so many informative and helpful members.

My recommendation, if possible… get both led options with the same driver, and same color temperature.

Then report back with a comparison based on your specific use case.

Cheers!

I think Arlo pretty specifically said that he wants the light to reach a bit further.

Love that beam from the SST2700k.

Agreed about this forum :+1:

I went with the SST-20, a friend of mine has a few Samsung 30Q’s and will give me one gratis, so happy days!

I found this review also - Convoy S2+ 18650 Flashlight: Should Everyone Really Have One of These? - ZeroAir Reviews, so ordered an 18350 tube too, I actually prefer the shorter form factor of the 18350, so will be fun to experiment with.

Thanks to everyone for their input :+1:

So for future reference, I presume Simon is a legit and safe person to buy batteries from?

I was reading this thread – Massive post on where to get lithium-ion batteries everywhere in the world! Look at Post 2-5 for info, And Canada Post 123

Didn’t see Convoy/Simon mentioned in it (maybe because he’s not a battery store, per se?), might be useful to add him to the list.

Exactly - Convoy is not a battery store, they sell flashlights. But’s it’s a reputable store and their flashlights, emitters and batteries are legit (so far).

He’s wonderful.

What he said :+1: :+1: :+1:

Simon is a super cool dude without a doubt. REALLY gives a about the led light biz he is in 100%… and almost always asks me “why” when I try to do something stuupid’ - Convoy lights are as legit as they come.

Even though OP already ordered his S2+, I shot some beamshots tonight for comparison (sorry about quality, it was -21ºC outside).

All shot at 5000K white balance, same manual exposure. The distance to the trees is ~65 meters.

Convoy S2+, SST-20 2700K, 8x7135, OP reflector, 100%

Convoy S2+, SST-20 4000K, 6x7135, 45º TIR, 100%

And for reference

FW3A, XPL-HI 5000K, top of the ramp (8x7135 equivalent):

As you can see the S2+ with this TIR optics has the beam pattern very similar to FW3A.

Beware, though – once you get your first Hi-CRI light, your life will never be the same! ;-) Even NW light won't look right to you. :-)

Same here :smiley: Even here in his thread he often asks this question.

@ slashedzer0

I can see only first pic.

I also can only see Pic #1

sorry, guys, reuploaded images to Imgur, should be fine now.