【convoy】H4 and B35AM options are updated

FET + constant current driver

2022/5/16
M21B B35AM high CRI in stock now
M21B B35AM
M21B B35AM with battery

driver output current 2.4A,
no smoke now

I’m still trying to decide. Did you buy from their aliexpress official store? They have like eight hundred listings on there and it’s hard to tell what is what. lol. Did you get the software?

I looked at the Sekonic offerings…can’t recall details now but it seemed like the Hopoocolor had more bang for the buck. They do have a model that has the TM30 with Rf and Rg (their -S and SF models, “flagship”) which I’m considering because they add flicker and have a wider nm range from 350 900, but I’m not sure if those are worth the bump in price to me. The lower UV range would be fun for me but I don’t know how practical it would be. Biggest hesitation is buying something like this from China in case there are problems, but the prices for the models available on amazon are way high.

Here’s that model: OHSP-350S Laser Spectrometer - Hopoo

Do you specifically need the portability of these handled spectrophotometers ? A lot of us here use x-rite spectrophotometers which are less expensive (especially second hand), but need to be used either with a PC or an android phone (+100USD for the phone app, making it more portable).

Actually kind of yes since it will be for hobby as well as a little bit of use at work. I hadn’t heard of x-rite but just brought up their site and will browse their stuff later. Thank you! This is mostly a fun purchase, so trying to keep the cost lower but still want some reasonable accuracy and greater functionality than what the little hunk of junk Opple offers (it’d be great if Opple brought out something better but I really think their product is an afterthought, really just aimed at a narrow open-space room lighting kind of thing, which it does ok at for the most part).

A thread with some info about these : Approximating color temperature with smart phones and camera
I’ll try to make a more comprehensive thread when I find the time.

Wow, this is awesome… i had no idea that was coming. I thought the multi emitter 21700 light that was coming was the S21D itself.

Now I will certainly get stuck between both…

Simon, have you tried assembling an S16 flashlight with a B35AM LED? Are there artifacts with a mirror reflector?

I bought the OHSP250UV version. But from what I remember at the core, these units are all the same. They charge a high premium for extra features and parameters like UV. The base model Hopocolor is a real bang for the buck but once you want more features, they get real expensive.

After swapping in the metal switch (blue illumination) on my S21D (219a) and performing the recommended spring bypass I’m getting some strange behavior on turbo with a freshly charged cell (4.14v). 35% performs as expected, but going to turbo results in a significant reduction in brightness and the driver makes an audible buzzing sound. This is the second time I’ve recharged the battery after swapping the button and both times I’ve experienced this behavior. I will try swapping in the switch to see if it resolves the issue.

Update: my spring bypass had broken somehow. Swapping the original switch board back in returned the light to its expected behavior. I will repair the spring bypass and provide an additional update, but for now the metal switch with non-illuminated switch seems to be working correctly.

Update 2: attempting the bypass again did not resolve the issue. For now I will use the metal button with the original switch (not bypassed). Won’t look as nice but at least it won’t have the parasitic drain.

The lighted switches on 20mm boards (the ones that fit S21D) do not require a spring bypass. They should come with the same spring included on the stock switch.

I’ve accidentally melted a couple switches before when doing soldering work on a spring. Perhaps that’s what happened? The switches are the same so you should be able to remove the switch from the stock tail PCB and solder it onto your lighted board.

Gosh, I do vaguely remember that thread. Sure wish maukka would return…hope he’s doing alright. Looking at the X-rite products I think I’ll pass on those and go with the more comprehensive Hopoocolor type units. Right now those are looking like the winner. The Everfine products Simon mentioned look very nice, but way higher pricing, from what I can see. Thanks for sharing that thread.

Expensive condiments on a sandwich. lol. I’ll have to mull this over and will probably try to email them (or message on ali) to make sure I’m selecting what I want. Really, the amount of listings on their ali store is just insane to sift through.

Woohoo :partying_face:

Thank you Simon. Order incoming!

Good to know. It’s definitely possible, even likely, that I got the switch too hot during soldering, I’m not a very good solderer. I think the sane thing to do is to order another switch so I don’t melt my only remaining one and end up with a flashlight I can’t use. Simon’s accessories are very reasonably priced. Thanks for the reply, and for all the great reviews, I enjoy them thoroughly.

OP reflector for S16 is in production

It may be because the VF value of multiple LEDs is low and the driver is not compatible. This is just my guess. I am sending the driver to the manufacturer to find out the reason.
Pls PM your aliexpress ID ,i will send one new driver to you when it’s fixed

I have just ordered this exact same light today. Should I be worried about this possible issue?

Will Simon make 4x18a or 3x21a with 3*SBT90.2 ?

Hi, you can read my Convoy 3X21A review here: [Review] Convoy 3X21A
It was fun testing it - very bright with excellent throw!
But it is soo heavy…

Simon,
Thank you so much, this level of customer service is really outstanding. I may purchase a second switch to test in the mean time.