Copper X6 heatsinks(CLOSED ORDER PAGE IS UP)

Dale - Post #61 here: https://budgetlightforum.com/t/-/30722. Seems the quad was in another model flashlight - not an X6. Hard to tell from your description there - not much details on the quad build, but sure makes the quad sound bad - major heat sag. I'm working on a quad (same MCPCB, same Carclo lens) for a SupFire A6 using a filed down spacer from Richard (mtnelectronics alum spacer), but waiting on better LED's to arrive. Hoping it will work ok with a DD driver. The X6 of course is a better host, but the A6 has the compact size advantage, better suited to these optics.

So, the quad setup is really designed for a smaller diameter head light with 24 mm optics and 20 mm MCPCB, but can be made to fit of course, The triple seems to be better made for the X6 because of the wider optics of 35 mm, bigger MCPCB at 32 mm.

So, you obviously seem to need to retain the lens for a X6 quad setup (optics falls short in width) and I assume the heat sink is designed for a depth with the stock lens installed. But for the triple, is the height of the heat sink designed to use the lens or not?

The lens is kept in both cases as I don’t like having plastic optics exposed to keys and such in the pocket. The glass lens holds up better in the long run and is easier to clean without scratching up.

The small host I put the major quad in is almost a tube light. PH08 or something like that, I didn’t know the name for it forever and now that I’ve seen it I can’t remember. Me and Ricky called it the no-name-side-clicky for so long that’s what it is to me now. lol It was built sort of like a P-60, with a brass base for a threaded reflector. The base had a contact ring that sat snugly into a matched ring in the aluminum host, that’s all that held it and it’s only thermal path to the outer head. I made the copper sink to replace the brass and threaded reflector, but it’s still so small that it really can’t handle the sheer power level of 4 hard driven XP-L’s.

It just barely has room to fit the quad in, I made a heat sink for it but it’s really not sufficient for the massive power requirements of the 4 XP-L’s at full Turbo.

The A6 would be another story altogether, and a likely candidate. :wink:

Edit: Hey Tom, maybe it’s “15.10A. It’ll do 4416 at start, 3743 at 30 seconds”….that 15A draw on a single cell is a killer! Sure, it’s dropping 673 lumens, but heat is only part of that as the 2500mAh cell can’t provide 15A very long at all.

Nitro:

The optics you are reffering to are :
C10754_CUTE-3-SS-XM ( taken from your link)

And accoarding to the PDF they fit XM L emitters

Is that correct or?

Nitro - sounds like the triple is the way to go, in my opinion. So put me down for two full aluminum triple kits - aluminum heat sink, copper Noctigon MCPCB, and triple optic (for XP's of course) (optic is the XM version so it fits XP-L's), if you will sell the optics for US orders, If not, let me know where to buy.

I got the heatsink build back from dale :) what a nice job he did and a awesome looking lite

Ill be adding few more pics when it gets dark

That's correct it says its for XM-L

&

TomE i updated the spreadsheet if that's all correct

Okay, but dont we need a XP-L ones? Or those are compatible?
Its for the triple XLP setup

i think they are compatible by cutting the (dome) correct me if im wrong, let me look and see where i think i read that info

XPL and XML have the same die and dome(XPL has sides shaved but dome radius is the same) so they fit the same optics. I.E. the triple will work as is but the quad will need either dedoming or boring the optics.

The cute triple optics don’t require any modifications.

Thanks, was a needed info, one issue cleared out :slight_smile:

How did i miss this on my step :)

OK, I already asked for one triple aluminum.
Confirm one triple aluminum
Add one triple copper.

Now being in the US I can buy the other stuff I need.
Once I understand where to get it. I’m sure I’ve seen Noctigon triple boards for sale with optics somewhere, presuming those would fit the triple heatsink and X6 head.

updated the spread sheet, does post #76 help u any with the optics ?

Here is the triple on left and quad on right, the o-ring will be on top on both

I will take 1 AL Triple kit

Thanks for all you work and everyone who helped figuring out this upgrade.

1. and the photographs you just posted together start to make it all clear. Thank you.

Your welcome, The first pic above is showing how the 32mm board touches the heatsink and remember guys u will have to drill out the center of the board to run your wires OR u have to drill the hole or holes on the sides to run the wire.

2nd and 3rd pic just shows the optics on how well they fit into the quad heatsink

Nitro, you can probably pull that optic out of the quad by drilling a small hole in the center and using a “hook” to pull up on it. The sink is machined beautifully so that the optic pops in with a snap. You DO have to cut that little molding protrusion off though, to clear the edge of the lens on the bottom side. I use an Xacto knife or a very sharp blade (Spyderco Sage 2 does it)

Drilling a center hole through the 32mm Noctigon and the emitter shelf of the host works best. Then if there’s any rotation from screwing the bezel on snug it doesn’t cut the wires. :wink:

The triple should sit a little deeper down in the head of the X6, like this…

Nice pic Dale i did not no it went that deep i just grabbed the parts and threw them in for a pic and once i tighten the head down it went deeper and had a nice fit and felt perfect in hand