Coronavirus **personal experiences** thread

I like to see whomever started this flattened .

I don't feel or see any flattening around here with 1.3% of the people in our town and county having or had it, including my 70 year old sister and her husband with serious med issues (just recently). Also I know for a fact from people we know, younger people with the classic symptons got turned away from the hospitals and told to self-isolate without being tested.

I live in Suffolk County (20,800 confirmed out of ~1.5 million), up-to-date info on the county here. In my township of Babylon, the infection rate is 1.36%. Our county is ranked 3rd for the highest # of cases in the country, and the county next west is 2nd (Nassau) then next west 1st (NYC).

One of the best info sites here: https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

Horrifying simulation reveals the dangers of jogging during the coronavirus pandemic: Viral particles from another runner could infect you even if they are six feet ahead - but staying NEXT to them may be safer

Direction and strength of wind???

Testing is going to be the key going forward. Opening the country is not going to be like flipping a switch. Certain areas and certain people as well as different types of businesses will be able to open up. With the low numbers of tested people right now it is really hard to know where we stand. I hear a few areas starting to talk about opening up. It will come but it sure won’t be anything like it was pre virus. Wait to the lawyers get involved. Workplace safety rules. Customer safety. Whole new field of lawsuits coming.

Can’t find anything about “Avectra” - care to elaborate?

Couldn’t somebody publish an article in the Fake News Gazette that May 1st there will be a mandatory convention of the Personal Injury Lawyer Trade Association in the Astrodome? No social distancing, no masks, just brave men and women, face to face, mano a mano, and ample wining and dining, a fortnight long. And then move on to the next “vital” profession.

:+1:

Happy Easter to those who celebrate it.

Our local church planned to stream today’s Sunday service live on facebook from a basically empty church, but a handful of volunteers were needed to run the camera, play the piano, read, and sing. As some of the volunteers arrived, a guy standing just off the property line started yelling at them in an angry tone, “Go home! Go home!”

I guess he’d appointed himself to help flatten the curve. Or maybe he just wished he could flatten someone.

Coronavirus could attack immune system like HIV by targeting protective cells, warn scientists

No promises here, just appropriate caution.

Remember even once the spread of the viruses is halted by social distancing, 95 percent of the population will still be vulnerable to infection.
All it takes is one foolish person to start a new hotspot spreading, once people are interacting frequently in an area.

It’s going to be a long while ’til I’d want to sit inside an airplane or a crowded room again.

As of April 2, from Johns Hopkins

I already was a reluctant flier.

==
EXCERPT

John Conway, a brilliant mathematician and a gentle soul, died today of COVID-19 in Princeton. John was the inventor of the “Game of Life” and made many contributions to mathematics. He was a warm and gentle soul.
4:35 PM · Apr 11, 2020

Thanks, interesting.

I have just watched this on the BBC iplayer.

Stunningly, chillingly accurate predictions and mathematical modelling of infections carried out using a bespoke phone app and mathematicians from Cambridge University.

Was made 2 years ago.

Edit: It’s on YouTube, search for BBC contagion.

Hmm… I don’t know where those impressions came from. I don’t recall anyone suggesting that. Logically, flattening the curve does the exact opposite: spreading out perhaps the same total number of cases means it takes much longer for the curve to come back down.

The fast ways would be to do nothing and have a huge spike (catastrophic failure of health system and increasing fatality rates), or to quarantine aggressively (eg. Taiwan) which results in a small spike and eradication of the virus from the population (requires widespread screening and rapid testing).

Note that flattening the curve is not a solution to the virus; it’s a solution to avoiding health care collapse. It’s buying time until a cure is found. That means easing restrictions will undo the flattening and create new spikes.

As for Fauci’s statements, my impression is that he’s been very cautious about accuracy while also trying to relieve people’s stress and give hope, i.e. bedside manner. It’s possible some interpreted them overly optimistically, but I haven’t found fault in his phrasing.

I like this video of simulations comparing some “curve” results of different measures such as doing nothing, aggressive quarantining, various levels of social distancing, the effect of central hubs, the effect of reducing contagiousness, etc.

I wonder if Taiwan’s approach had been used globally, whether the pandemic (and lockdowns) could have been avoided without even needing to find a cure. Now given how widespread it has become, that approach becomes much more difficult. But maybe not impossible? It might still be faster than the race to a vaccine.

While waiting for an actual solution, I think there’s much “lemonade” to be made. If an undesirable situation is unavoidable, might as well make use of the silver linings.

Oh, and Happy Easter.

Cautionary (further links in the original page at Coronavirus economy plans are clear: No return to normal in 2020 - Vox )

EXCERPT:

Yea, the digital tracking is scary. The covid equivalent to the Patriot Act.

Exactly, this appears to be the major point that hasn’t been clearly communicated.