Coronavirus **personal experiences** thread

Not sure if you can translate to English or your language if not English, but this is what I’ve been wearing mostly in the last 2 months.
I don’t go out daily but when I go out I normally use it, and wash it after. It can be washed up to 50 times.
It is antimicrobian, and has antiviral protection. Produced in Portugal.

Cost per piece is 10€. (I bought 2)

I also use some surgical masks but with less frequency than when this all started.

Cost per box of 50 has been decreasing, but reached 50€ and the last I bougght was around 15€ (in June).

I also bought other type to wear when working with my deaf colleagues. They are signers but I can only sign a little, so I thought about getting these so that they can read my lips when needed.
However, these masks proved to be not much effective for that purpose (humidity covers the plastic part when speaking, so the lips get covered too). I have opted to wear a face shield and distancing instead, while working.

Cost per piece is 10€. (I bought 2)

In April I got one of these in a local store. Social masks were not a reality yet, and the national stock of surgical type masks were also very low! I thought this could be an option.
The mask and a pair of filters costed me above 50€. I didn’t use it yet, but it will serve me for sure when making some works.

You have to look deeper than being brainwashed by the media, but oh well, I tried to wake you guys up to no avail, time to forget about this thread again.

I tried buying some KN95 masks, when the price went down a bit, but the less-costly ones are made for smaller faces than mine - so they are not big enough to fit correctly. I had to resort to buying disposable surgical-type masks, which are comfortable, not too expensive now, if you know where to buy them, and of decent quality to do what they are supposed to do.

I have bought two types of disposable surgical masks: 1) a larger quantity of very inexpensive 3-layer masks that are not certified by a testing company to comply with ASTM Level 1, 2, or 3 standards, but do have a waterproof/dustproof/pollenproof layer on the outside; and 2) a smaller quantity of ASTM Level 3 masks that are more likely to provide a higher protection level to me in circumstances where I have to be around more people in public who might be infected. The latter also have a water/dust/pollen proof layer on the outside, in addition to two other layers.

If you want the ASTM Level 3 masks, I would look for a seller who displays a photo of the lab testing certification label on the mask box. You can now get 50 of the non-certified masks I mentioned above for about $10 USD on Amazon. The ASTM Level 3 masks are at least twice that cost, but there seem to be one or two sellers popping up on a certain well-known auction website who are selling them dirt cheap (if they can be trusted), and the prices on Amazon seem to be lower and lower as time goes on.

how crazy is this: you’re obviously not crazy

Neither is jon_slider

I’m sorry to say that about you both, but there you have it.

Perhaps it hasn’t said in the last 6000+ posts… but disposable is different than single-use.
You don’t need to trash a mask just because you wore it once. 48 hours of just sitting around will effectively disinfect it. You could even have some on rotation if you like.
I don’t trash mine unless the straps break.

Get some brown dye and lightly “color” the section where the mouth would be. Make it look like “mouth-spray”. :confounded:

> I have opted to wear a face shield and distancing instead, while working.

the law here does not consider a face shield a valid replacement for a mask

face shields are intended to protect the eyes from direct spray, but they do not prevent inhalation of particles, since the shield is open at top and bottom

face shields are worn as part of PPE by my dentist, and he wears a mask under the face shield, not face shield alone

We’re practising our social distancing skills as best as we can…. miles from anyone else. Staying near home in NM.

Wow that is a dramatic formation—is it a soft rock that has eroded to form the sharp spikes?

We call those tent rocks. Yes erosion does that because of the different rock hardness.

Man, what a beautiful place to live.

+1 I agree. It’s for sure a great place for beamshots at night, too. ;-)

Where exactly is this place in the Land of Enchantment? I have been watching „Breaking Bad“ and „Better Call Saul“ and was always wondering if these beautiful deserts are in the vicinity of Albuquerque where the plot of the TV series took place.

“BB” and “BCS” were shot around Albuquerque. Lots of desert, dome mountains too.

The images I posted were taken about 50 miles (80km) almost due north of Albuquerque in the Jemez Mountains in the general area where we live. The tent rocks image is looking more or less east, taken from approximately 35°47.114’N, 106°27.150’W. It is about 900 meters higher than ABQ.

There really is no other place I would rather live.

Thanks a lot MtnDon! :+1:

Northern California has become so much fun lately, but if I were going to move, I would seriously consider NM. It is beautiful.

I wear multi-layer tightly-woven cotton masks, which is what is recommended by health professionals.

They aren't that expensive, and the ones that I like were on sale at five for $7.50

Although I don't like wearing a mask, it's a small price to pay to hopefully make it through this COVID-19 epidemic in one piece.

The irony. The irony. Unbelievable. Like a 9/11 truther.

Thanks for that info. I don’t need ASTM at this time, but it’s good to know about this. I’ve been using the $1 lightweight general medical mask. Because I’m not out a lot, one mask gets a lot of use. I also would disinfect by leaving it on the dashboard of my car for a few hours (or overnight). The only trouble is that beard stubble causes pilling of fibers, which then start itching. I decided to pick up a couple of washable ones for better comfort. After COVID19 is over, I’ll still have uses for them (also next flu season). BTW, ASTM L3 needs to be combined with a face shield, as aerosol virus can easily penetrate through the eyes.

Just received 50 disposable face masks through a vipon deal for $3.89 with some points I had. They would have been $6.00 without. They work great for me. The elastic bands are lightweight and very comfortable. I wear them many times before disposing of them. As someone else said, let them sit for a few days before wearing them again and they self disinfect. They are good enough for situations where you are not in very close proximity to others.

Based on what I’ve read, a face shield isn’t going to protect your eyes from contact with the virus in an aerosol suspension. It doesn’t fit tight enough against your face to do that.